Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2019 > 10.7 A E I O U sometimes Y (Anika's Task)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5906 comments Read a book by an author whose name contains four of the six accepted English vowels.

Example: Jane Hamilton would work (four unique vowels: a, e, i, o), while Agatha Christie would not (only containing three unique vowels: a, e, i).

Post any questions or comments about task 10.7 in this thread.

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2778 comments Does the "sometimes Y" in the task title mean that if there's a Y, it has to be acting as a vowel to count?

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 03, 2019 03:36PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11712 comments Rosemary wrote: "Does the "sometimes Y" in the task title mean that if there's a Y, it has to be acting as a vowel to count?"

Example? (Allow me to hedge.)

message 4: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4176 comments Paul Beatty is example. I gave myself combo points for the Y having the long E sound.
But an example as the other would be Yann Martel because it is the hard Y sound.
Is that what you were thinking, Rosemary?

message 5: by Anika (new)

Anika | 1803 comments (Just a side note: when I wrote the task title, it was mainly because the song of that title by ‘80s band Ebn Ozn was stuck in my head...I’d intended any “y” to count...)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11712 comments Rebekah wrote: "Paul Beatty is example. I gave myself combo points for the Y having the long E sound.
But an example as the other would be Yann Martel because it is the hard Y sound.
..."

Paul Beatty would work, but Yann Martel doesn't work because even if the Y counted, there are only 3 unique vowels (YAE)

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 687 comments Will “anonymous” qualify for this task? A O Y U

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11712 comments Mary wrote: "Will “anonymous” qualify for this task? A O Y U"

Ha! Yes.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 687 comments Thanks!

message 10: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4176 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Paul Beatty is example. I gave myself combo points for the Y having the long E sound.
But an example as the other would be Yann Martel because it is the..."

Got it! Was just trying to think of a Y as a consonant example.
Thanks Anika for that! I was hoping you meant any Y would count!

message 11: by Rosemary (last edited Sep 04, 2019 03:04PM) (new)

Rosemary | 2778 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rosemary wrote: "Does the "sometimes Y" in the task title mean that if there's a Y, it has to be acting as a vowel to count?"

Example? (Allow me to hedge.)"

Rising to the challenge of finding examples from my TBR (as the idea of having more than 5 vowels is strange to me) ... :)

Rudyard Kipling A I U Y
Patience Gray A E I Y
E H Young E O U Y

Hilary Boyd A I O Y
Tracy Chevalier A E I Y
Stella Duffy A E U Y
Catherine Ryan Hyde A E I Y
Ryan Levesque A E U Y
Frederick Marryat A E I Y
Tiffany Murray A I U Y
Dorothy L. Sayers A E O Y

I made a space because I'm unsure about the first three. The others seem to me to be clearly using Y as if it were a vowel ...?

And I take it the other letters are okay regardless of the sound? For example, Antonia White A E I O, the E is not acting as a vowel sound, but that's still okay?

message 12: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 04, 2019 03:34PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11712 comments Rosemary wrote: "Rising to the challenge of finding examples from my TBR "

Well, good job! Anika says above in Post #5 that she was intending all Y's count, so you're good with all of these.

As for Antonia White, the E does act as a vowel, because it determines the pronunciation of the earlier I.

We'll just count 4 of the 6 letters in the name and call it good.

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 260 comments I have been reading Edgar Rice Burroughs lately.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1096 comments Yes, does that count, since it has 5 of the 6 vowels?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11712 comments Beth wrote: "Yes, does that count, since it has 5 of the 6 vowels?"

Yes, 4 is the minimum. Sorry, no bonus for 5 or 6.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11712 comments No bonus, but can't help remark that she has all 6 letters!

Mary Doria Russell