Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's August Reads

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins The Woman in White. Wilkie Collins. Read by multiple narrators. 5/5

This classic has been on my TBR pile forever. Collins is described as a contemporary of Charles Dickens, and echoing his style (or maybe Dickens echoed his, I don't know) and I can see why. Very involved plot with many layers. When I first read the description I thought it was a ghost story, which is probably why I delayed reading it, but it is not at all. The language, customs and attitude (especially about the genders) is definitely of its time, but it’s an entertaining listen with many layers. There were 4 narrators, all of whom were brilliant.

Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3) by John Sandford Eyes of Prey. John Sandford. Read by Richard Ferrone. 4/5

Lucas Davenport is chasing another serial killer in St. Paul. This one mutilates the eyes of the victims. Seeing the case from the perspective of the pursued as well as the pursuer makes a roller coaster ride with some mouth-dropping twists. I’m enjoying this re-read of the series, noting behind-the-scenes how far Lucas has come in his personal and professional life over the years. Ferrone's dry delivery used to bug me but now I can't imagine anyone else reading these

Silent Prey (Lucas Davenport, #4) by John Sandford Silent Prey. John Sandford. Read by Richard Ferrone. 4/5

The eye-mutilating serial killer, Michael Becker, has escaped from prison and surfaced in New York. Davenport is recruited by a former colleague to both continue the hunt for Becker and get to the bottom of a ring of rogue cops. Another action packed chase that is fun to follow, as Lucas closes in on both culprits. An enjoyable re-read.

Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1) by Linda Castillo Sworn to Silence. Linda Castillo. Read by Kathleen McInerny. 4/5

Interesting if bloody serial killer novel that takes place in an Ohio town. The Chief of Police is a former member of the Amish community who has to use her knowledge of the Amish and the English, as well as painful aspects of her own past, to solve the mystery. Skillfully read by Kathleen McInerny.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Nice month Carol! I see you are moving along nicely on your rereading of the Prey series!

message 3: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Just bought The Woman in White! The physical book is a bit intimidating, as its quiteeee fat. But it looks good. You mention its not a ghost story - what do you feel it is instead? Or would that be a spoiler?

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments nice month, carol!

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Good month. I like the Castillo books.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Good month! Glad you liked the Castillo book.

message 7: by Mary Jo (new)

Mary Jo (serenemillie) | 128 comments Wilkie Collins created great women. One of his most memorable women, Marian Halcombe, is described as intelligent and resourceful in The Woman in White. The scoundrel Count Fusco first notices her from behind and is charmed by her graceful walk. She turns around and she's not pretty. He has the good sense to be smitten by her because of her personality and brains.

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Karly wrote: "Just bought The Woman in White! The physical book is a bit intimidating, as its quiteeee fat. But it looks good. You mention its not a ghost story - what do you feel it is instead? Or would that be..."

Hi Karly! I don't think it would be a spoiler to say that this is a story about love, loss, greed, deception and the evil plots that people weave to get what they want. There are mysterious goings-on afoot that aren't peeled away until well into the story. And it is indeed a BFB (Big Fat Book), but once you get past the initial setup, which I found dragged a bit, the story flies by. Enjoy!

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Mary wrote: "Wilkie Collins created great women. One of his most memorable women, Marian Halcombe, is described as intelligent and resourceful in The Woman in White. The scoundrel Count Fusco first notices her ..."

Count Fusco isn't the only one who has that response. The first narrator of the story, the drawing teacher Walter Hartright, also had this reaction upon first meeting Marian Halcombe.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 03, 2019 09:12PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Merrilee in AZ wrote: "Good month. I like the Castillo books."

Merrilee and Melodie: I did indeed like the Castillo book, which I heard about on this board. At the end was an audio interview with the author, and her description of how she thought of the idea of setting the story in an Amish/English community was interesting. I wasn't sure I would read another because the explicit violence reminded me of another author I find hard to read, Karin Slaughter, but there were aspects of the character and how she winds up that make me want to continue the story. I read a blurb about Book Two and it's just about convinced me to continue.

message 11: by Mary Jo (new)

Mary Jo (serenemillie) | 128 comments I devoured Karin Slaughter's Pretty Girls but couldn't finish The Good Daughter.

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Merrilee in AZ wrote: "Good month. I like the Castillo books."

Merrilee and Melodie: I did indeed like the Castillo book, which I heard about on this board. At the end was an audio interview with ..."

The violence in the first one IS disturbing, but most of the others aren't quite as bad.

message 13: by Karly (new)

Karly | 331 comments Thanks carol!!

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Carol.

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Melodie wrote: "The violence in the first one IS disturbing, but most of the others aren't quite as bad...."

That's good to know, Mel, thanks. Think I'll request the 2nd one.

message 16: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2679 comments Some good books there