Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Anyone heard of Jenny_Book_Reviewer?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kelly (benjamin_kelly) | 7 comments I got contacted by this person, https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1..., about book reviews. I hate to assume the worst, but typically out-of-the-blue contacts involve something shady. Just curious if anyone knows anything about this person?

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 10 comments No pic? Only 5 books? Zero Reviews? Seems....fake, no?

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard (smashed-rat-on-press) | 26 comments Ditto what Jen said. Also... Profile set to private? Never seen anyone do that if they're trying to attract "business" or publicize their reviewing prowess in any way.

message 4: by R. (new)

R. Parr | 11 comments When I've been contacted by reviewers first, it's because they want me to pay for a review. Be wary!

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca H. (abookcritique) | 1 comments I got a 'question' from someone called "Jan_The_Review_Girl" who was offering to review my "newest book," as she called it. The similar naming format, along with the lack of a visible profile make me wonder if it's the same person. Honest reviewers will always at least mention the book's title, and will only offer their services if you've already stated you're looking for people willing to give you honest feedback.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel James | 44 comments I got an email from Jan and several others. I think they’re definitely sketchy, and like everybody else has said, it’s probably best to ignore them.

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Jupillat Posey | 1 comments Yeah she's a scam. She blocks off her messages so you can't even reply to her. And yes the lack of books on her profile, or any info is suspicious. I think I saw somewhere she got flagged for being a hack, so there you go. In general, anyone who contacts you out of the blue is a phony. It's just a method for pirating your books.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel James | 44 comments Sophie wrote: "Yeah she's a scam. She blocks off her messages so you can't even reply to her. And yes the lack of books on her profile, or any info is suspicious. I think I saw somewhere she got flagged for being..."

If it seems too good to be true...

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 116 comments Rebecca wrote: "I got a 'question' from someone called "Jan_The_Review_Girl" who was offering to review my "newest book," as she called it. The similar naming format, along with the lack of a visible profile make ..."

I did as well, checked "her" out and sure enough "she" is a scam. I even fell for it but I got as funny feeling it will be "she" that regrets scamming me. (for one thing, I did not send her the final book, but a pre-final, and my book The Prodigal Band Trilogy is registered with LoC if "she" tries anything, like stealing it!). DO NOT SEND THIS SCAMMER ANYTHING! But wondering, did "she" send her email "from Goodreads"? Since "she" did that with me, that's why I fell for it. I thought "she" was legitimate! You might consider not accepting any review requests unless the person has a legit goodreads account and does many reviews.

message 10: by Rory (new)

Rory | 104 comments Deborah wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I got a 'question' from someone called "Jan_The_Review_Girl" who was offering to review my "newest book," as she called it. The similar naming format, along with the lack of a visib..."

I agree. Well stated Deborah. I hope all worked out okay.

message 11: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kelly (benjamin_kelly) | 7 comments Jen from Quebec :0) wrote: "No pic? Only 5 books? Zero Reviews? Seems....fake, no?"

Yes.

message 12: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kelly (benjamin_kelly) | 7 comments Rebecca wrote: "I got a 'question' from someone called "Jan_The_Review_Girl" who was offering to review my "newest book," as she called it. The similar naming format, along with the lack of a visible profile make ..."

Richard wrote: "Ditto what Jen said. Also... Profile set to private? Never seen anyone do that if they're trying to attract "business" or publicize their reviewing prowess in any way."

Thanks everyone. Sometimes I'm a little too skeptical for my own good. I naturally assume everything is a scam. That's bit me a time or two. I didn't want to pass up a legit opportunity. I figured if "Jenny" was on the level someone would have had dealings with her. Scammers, got to love 'em, not.

message 13: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kelly (benjamin_kelly) | 7 comments Deborah wrote: "But wondering, did "she" send her email "from Goodreads"? Since "she" did that with me, that's why I fell for it. I thought "she" was legitimate! You might consider not accepting any review requests unless the person has a legit goodreads account and does many reviews."

I got the message here on Goodreads. Sorry you got scammed.

message 14: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) | 143 comments I did. The "your latest book" line always raises my hackles, because it means it's probably a scam. I replied "which book? I've published 11 of them," and never got a reply back. I did get another message recently, exactly the same as the first, and deleted it this time. It's a shame these scammers are out there trying to take advantage of us.

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane Johnson | 22 comments Just got the same email, and was skeptical too. Glad I'm not the only one. I currently have a link posted on my blog for a free ebook, so the fact that it's there made me more skeptical.

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 116 comments Benjamin wrote: "Deborah wrote: "But wondering, did "she" send her email "from Goodreads"? Since "she" did that with me, that's why I fell for it. I thought "she" was legitimate! You might consider not accepting an..."

I don't know how someone could imitate the "from Goodreads" part other than this person is a hacker (of Goodreads?). Not worried about the scam resulting in more scams or legal hassles. In my life folks who mess with me tend to regret it...divine intervention? Which is featured in my novels. Besides, the copy I sent Janice_the_review_girl was not the final book, but the pre-final, without cover art. And book is registered with LoC, just in case.

message 17: by Susana (last edited Sep 05, 2019 02:19AM) (new)

Susana Imaginário (chronodendron) | 3 comments I also got a message from that user, checked the profile, and decided not to reply. I'm new to all this and need reviews but I'm pretty sure that is not the right way to get them.
Does this sort of thing happen a lot here?

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 116 comments A lot? Maybe. But it seems to me anyway it only happens to new people. The person seems to go by Janice the Book Reviewer or Jenny the Book Reviewer or Jan the Book Reviewer or Jen the Book Reviewer. And then there are others...all the ones I've gotten have gmail accounts.

message 19: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Taylor (christophertaylor) | 64 comments There are two kinds of scams here.

First is the reviewer who wants to be paid to review. Never do that.

Second is the "reviewer" who just wants your book for free, either to keep or to turn out as a torrent or something.

Its very frustrating to wait for reviews from people but I've found from personal experience you're usually better off just letting folks post their own rather than soliciting reviews from others.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 116 comments Not paying any reviewers, period. The torrent thing makes sense or just wants the book for free also makes sense. If the book is advertised on a torrent site no problem. I've given away books before. When it comes to "e-anything" one has to be prepared for a scam of some kind. Almost anything can be hacked or stolen. Another reason I had my trilogy put into print format as well as ebook format. That way i can prove the content is copyrighted if the scammer or hacker tries to steal the content or the copyright. Don't like regulations but DMCA makes sense.

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate Gordon (kategordonauthor) | 4 comments Thanks for this thread. Am thankful I checked into Jenny_book_reviewer before I did anything further! One message going into the trash file.

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Lagarde (deb_lagarde) | 116 comments Kate wrote: "Thanks for this thread. Am thankful I checked into Jenny_book_reviewer before I did anything further! One message going into the trash file."

Glad to help out. This thread is very important, IMHO. And folks might be interested to know it's been about a month since any scammer contacted me. Like I said, they likely just go after new folks here.