Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

ALTERNATIVE THINKING BOOKS > Genetic Engineering CRISPR Technology: a Potential Disaster or Human Destiny?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Sep 02, 2019 02:09PM) (new)

Alex Grant (goodreadsgranta1) | 8 comments ReEvolution: a crispr novel

Hi, everyone.

I wrote a book on CRISPR, the genetic engineering technology. It is a hard science fiction thriller with real science and a compelling story. It deals with corporate corruption, global elites, crooked banks and international actors (including those who are currently performing serious research in the area) who want to use the incredible power of CRISPR for their own ends.

I advise everyone to google or otherwise research CRISPR because it is a game changer for the human race. It so fascinated me that I researched CRISPR and then published a novel about it on Amazon. It's called "ReEvolution, a crispr novel."

CRISPR can delete or add genes by cutting and replacing them. It can also turn genes on and off in a highly targeted way, can be used in all plants and animals, has already been used to change DNA to strengthen plants, cure genetic diseases in mammals (including humans) and was used to increase muscle mass in dogs. It has the potential to alter a human's appearance, athletic ability and intelligence. The woman who invented CRISPR wrote a book called "A Crack in Creation," a worthwhile read. Keep your eye on the bouncing ball, because it is not overhyped - it is real and a little scary. It is also easy and inexpensive to do.

Numerous labs are doing research in this area around the globe. There is a potential for pandemics if scientists change the genome of bacteria or viruses. CRISPR can also be used for military applications or to enhance people's traits, which has a serious potential for abuse. It also begs the question of who will benefit from this technology.

Artificial intelligence likely will make CRISPR more targeted and potent.

It is also a timely topic. A Chinese scientist recently applied the science to embryo twins and they were born HIV resistant. He published his findings on YouTube. The U.S. Congress recently passed a law making it illegal for people to use CRISPR technology on themselves. For a short time, there were a number of media reports about CRISPR, but coverage seems to have dropped off.

I wrote the book so people can get an idea of the potential of CRISPR, and its possible abuses, in an entertaining and easy to read format.

If you are interested, I also set up a web page: alexgrantbooks.com.

I look forward to reading any comments.

message 2: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Intriguing stuff, Alex.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Grant (goodreadsgranta1) | 8 comments Yes, and every day there is another breakthrough. Also, more and more investment bankers are getting on the bandwagon. A lot of smart money is getting behind CRISPR since it will likely create a number of new treatments for all sorts of diseases and with AI, the sky is the limit - but it really needs to be limited. It has the potential to create super intelligent people, superhuman athletes and the changes made by CRISPR are passed down to your children - it really has the power to put evolution in the human hands, for better or worse. Let's hope it's the former.

message 4: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Like the term "ReEvolution" too as it seems appropriate.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Grant (goodreadsgranta1) | 8 comments I hope you like it Iain.

I also just read a post were the Chinese and other actors are apparently completely embracing the use of CRISPR on humans and experimenting with human hybrids. It noted that the world is made up of highly regulated countries where the pace of research is slow, and unregulated countries (like Russia and China) where the research is taking off. Anyway, I would be very interested in what you think and I can give you additional bonus materials from my book for a deeper dive into the mechanism for CRISPR, if you or anyone else, is interested.

message 6: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Four U.S. CRISPR Trials Editing Human DNA to Research New Treatments https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...
Breaking down how the gene editing technology is being used, for the first time in the United States, to treat patients with severe medical conditions

message 7: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Researchers unlock potential to use CRISPR to alter the microbiome https://phys.org/news/2019-10-potenti...

message 8: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 11189 comments Breakthrough gene-editing tool can find and replace DNA better than CRISPR https://www.cnet.com/news/breakthroug...
"Prime editing" is more precise and more efficient than CRISPR and could herald a new era of genetic manipulation.

Underground Knowledge — A discussion group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

ReEvolution: a crispr novel (other topics)