Middle East/North African Lit discussion

Rooftops of Tehran
This topic is about Rooftops of Tehran
2019 > Discussion of "Rooftops of Tehran"

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Niledaughter | 2793 comments Mod
Please share your thoughts about Rooftops of Tehran in here .

Who is reading this book?

Christina | 6 comments I started reading it today, and I really like it so far. The writing really flows, so the pages are flying by.

Christina wrote: "I started reading it today, and I really like it so far. The writing really flows, so the pages are flying by."

Great ! keep us updated :)

Jalilah | 790 comments This sounds like a book I might like! Unfortunately my library only has a kindle version!

Jalilah wrote: "This sounds like a book I might like! Unfortunately my library only has a kindle version!"

You can not read it on a kindle app ?

I reached a copy , hopefully I will be able to start next week .

Jalilah | 790 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "This sounds like a book I might like! Unfortunately my library only has a kindle version!"

You can not read it on a kindle app ?

I reached a copy , hopefully I will be able to sta..."

No I don't have a kindle and besides using for emails,Facebook and Goodreads I don't like reading books on my iPad.

message 8: by Kat (last edited Sep 17, 2019 09:58PM) (new) - added it

Kat (superkatness) | 14 comments This is my favorite sentence in the novel, one I think is subtly powerful in its implications: "There are no walls around what we say, or fears shaping what we think." Pasha's description of nights spent talking on the roof epitomizes the essence of the novel's atmosphere of oppression and is a harbinger of what is to come later in the novel. It exemplifies an intrinsic need for self-determination that precipitates the characters' desperate actions later that summer. The necessity of distinguishing the rooftop as a place of freedom and safety underscores the heavy hand of the government on everyone's lives. But in a broader sense, this description can apply to whatever culture in which we live or identify, for it is through the act of applying a perspicacious examination of it that we are able to discern the ways in which culture shapes our ideas and perceptions, narrowing our vision and understanding, and limiting the scope of our imaginations. Imagine if "there are no walls around what we say, or fears shaping what we think" and we were free to forge our own selves independent of the environment in which we are force-fed how to think and what to believe and to express ourselves without fear of reprisal. It is something to think about.

I have deliberately left out details in case anyone hasn't finished it yet.

Jalilah | 790 comments Is anyone else planning on reading this? I requested my library purchase a physical copy and they agreed! So I will definitely be reading it, I just don't know when.

message 10: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

Kat wrote: "This is my favorite sentence in the novel, one I think is subtly powerful in its implications: "There are no walls around what we say, or fears shaping what we think." Pasha's description of nights..."

I am so happy you shared your thoughts about the novel and I am sorry I did not catch the comment earlier . :(

Jalilah wrote: "Is anyone else planning on reading this? I requested my library purchase a physical copy and they agreed! So I will definitely be reading it, I just don't know when."

I want to read it too but not sure when , I have been very busy lately . Just tell me when you start and I will see what I can do

Jalilah | 790 comments Hopefully I will be starting this novel later today!
I will also count it for the challenge as a novel about a city.

message 12: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

Jalilah wrote: "Hopefully I will be starting this novel later today!
I will also count it for the challenge as a novel about a city."

Great !Please keep us updated :)

Jalilah | 790 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Jalilah wrote: "Hopefully I will be starting this novel later today!
I will also count it for the challenge as a novel about a city."

Great !Please keep us updated :)"

Niledaughter I am about 3/4 through and absolutely loving it!

message 14: by Jalilah (last edited Nov 17, 2019 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jalilah | 790 comments I adored this novel! I think it is one of my favourite reads this year!
Here is my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
I hope more of you read it as its a book that deserves to be more well known! In fact it would make a wonderful movie.

message 15: by Niledaughter (new) - added it

Thanks Jalilah for the review! you made me want to read it more , I will write my feedback whenever I will be able to catch up :)

Jalilah | 790 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Thanks Jalilah for the review! you made me want to read it more , I will write my feedback whenever I will be able to catch up :)"

It is one if those books that lives with you days afterwards.