Play Book Tag discussion

The Accidental Veterinarian: Tales from a Pet Practice
This topic is about The Accidental Veterinarian
Archive: Other Books > The Accidental Veterinarian: Tales from a Pet Practice / Philipp Schott. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8630 comments The author is a veterinarian in Manitoba, and this is a memoir of how he became a vet, as well as anecdotes of his practice, including not only the pets/animals he sees, but also the people and behind the scenes, as well. It was originally written as a series of blog posts (or most of the stories, anyway).

I found this really interesting; in addition to the animal stories, he discusses things like costs, diseases, etc. He gives tips on dealing with your vet, as well as dealing with your pet (i.e. giving a pill to your cat!). He also talks about the people he sees. Because it’s written in short “essays”, it moves from one topic to the next quickly, but that didn’t really bother me. I really enjoyed this!

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7202 comments Interesting. How would you compare this to All Creatures Great and Small by that British vet? Does it include some humorous anecdotes in there?

message 3: by LibraryCin (last edited Sep 08, 2019 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LibraryCin | 8630 comments Karin wrote: "Interesting. How would you compare this to All Creatures Great and Small by that British vet? Does it include some humorous anecdotes in there?"

If I'm remembering correctly, James Herriot (sp?)'s book(s?) (I've only read the one so far!), focus more on the animal anecdotes, but Dr. Schott (this book) includes much more. There are some animal anecdotes, but they aren't necessarily the focus.

There was a really good review on LT that I noticed today that mentioned some of the other topics Dr. Schott discusses. Now, they are all very short "essays", but I found them really interesting.

Of course, we all know I love animals, and of course, also love animal stories, but I really found this very interesting.

And one thing he mentions more than once is that the profession is as much (or more) about the people than the animals. You really have to know how to deal with the people. Every time I think I'd enjoyed working at for a vet (I never did well enough in university-level science to even consider being a vet!) or in a vet's office, I remember how much you have to deal with the people, and I feel like I'd get too upset for that.