Period Five - Independent Reading Updates discussion

November 2019 > Reading Update #1

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss (last edited Nov 12, 2019 08:42AM) (new)

Miss Miller | 8 comments Mod
DUE DATE: Friday, 11/15.

Update us on your progress in your independent reading book here! Remember to search for your book title and include the page number in your post. You should write 3 to 5 sentences.

Your post should answer one, or multiple, of the questions below:

What do I like about the book so far?
What do I dislike about the book so far?
What is happening in my book right now and how am I reacting to it?
Who are the characters? How are they progressing as the story goes on?
How is the plot progressing? What is happening in the book?
What are some predictions I have?
Is this a type of book I usually read? What makes me like stories like this?
What can I relate to in this book?

message 2: by Emily (last edited Nov 12, 2019 08:45AM) (new)

Emily Kresge | 3 comments I am Reading An Elephant In The Garden. I like the book I am reading so far. I like it because it's set in the world war 2 period and I am interested in that time. I also like the book because the main character is around my age and I can understand her and her emotions well.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 4 comments I am reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I like that the book is placed in a society that has turned dystopian. I dislike that this book has different categories of people. I do not like how people are placed into categories based on their traits, these may be of there born category and, or based on the test they take. I can relate this book to our current unit because we are reading The Giver which is turning out to also be a dystopian society.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Witt | 6 comments the book i am reading is none i am trying to find a good book to start reading so i am reading diary of a wimpy kid for fun kinda for kick no reason just fun

message 5: by Bodeyteter (new)

Bodeyteter | 7 comments So far i am enjoying the book i am reading because it is interesting abt how this kid is able to push himself through the pain and i think it is a well established book i don't dislike the book at all.i think that the kid will make it out alive

message 6: by Helena (new)

Helena Henderson | 4 comments What I like most about this book is the detail the author uses. She is always describing everything that the characters see and are doing in lots of detail. It makes it easier to visualize the events taking place, which is why I like that most about the book.

message 7: by Meriem (new)

Meriem | 5 comments I like the book that I am reading so far. Right now there is a character whose life has changed, and she is adjusting to the change. Nothing really interesting has happened so far, because I haven't had the time to read that much yet. I am also interested because the book is set in the past, which is really interesting.

message 8: by Tailah (new)

Tailah Rohrer | 5 comments I like alot about my book and one thing is how realistic the book it. I also dislike that the characters are already really good at basketball and I would like it if they progress as the book goes on. THis is the type of book I would usually read because its about sports and I like sports. I can also relate to this book because I also play basketball.

message 9: by Em (last edited Nov 13, 2019 05:33AM) (new)

Em Brown | 6 comments RoseBlood
Somethings that i like about roseblood is how much action there is and how the setting is in france, paris. Somethings that are happening in my book is how they added a character to represent the phantom son. On top of that some predictions i have is that rune is going to die at the end. This the type of book i love because it contain action and love and romance. Also this is page 32.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Berry | 2 comments I like my book Auggie and me because I think it is a really good sequel about Auggie but it dose add new characters.

message 11: by Cole (new)

Cole Cappawana | 5 comments I like how my book is about basketball because I like basketball. Right now the main character is finding out if he made the basketball team or not. Dave gets mad and he begins to throw a fit because he did not make the basketball team. He was yelling and throwing everything and everyone was wondering what was going on. can relate to what it is like to make the basketball team.

message 12: by Joseph (new)

Joseph J. | 5 comments I finished crossroads of twilight. i liked it as much as i liked the previous books. at the end of the book Rand decided to make a treaty with the invading seanchan. Im starting the next book and im not sure how well the negotiations will go however he has an aes sedia (grey) working for him so that should help. a bit of explanation for that is aes sedai are women who can chanell (a magic in this series.) and the grey ajah (section of aes sedai) are the ones who make treaties between countries and the white tower (government that women who can channel follow) and other countries.

message 13: by Komal (new)

Komal Bhatoya | 4 comments So far in my book i'm reading a book about a boy who lives in a dangerous town and how they have to wear goggles to protect their eyes etc. Something I dislike about my book so far is that it can be kind of confusing on what's going on based on how they word it.

message 14: by Annabell (last edited Nov 12, 2019 08:46AM) (new)

Annabell | 5 comments The book i am reading is the fault in our stars. I like it because it shows what other people deal with and how you can help them. It shows that a non "normal" life has its ups and downs. Whats happening right now is Hazel Grace is falling in love with someone but has many insecurities and questions because of her condition.

message 15: by Adam (new)

Adam Lepley | 6 comments What I like about this book so far is how the Receiver gives the memories to the next receiver. What I dislike about the book so far is how people don't see color and how the community forces the people to be emotionless.

message 16: by Dillon (new)

Dillon Yinger | 3 comments What do I like about the book so far? I like that everything is different and black and white then there are little hints about color in some book scenes like the apple. What do I dislike about the book so far? One thing that I don't like about this book is that everything is so perfect and that there is no emotion at all. What is happening in my book right now and how am I reacting to it. I think that i am reacting kinda iffy because there is no emotion but Jonas has some emotions and also the community tries to get them to show no emotion.

message 17: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Rensel | 5 comments In the Diary of a Wimpy kid book 1, the book is very interesting in my opinion. I like how it's more of like a journal rather than a book. Greg, the main character, is a weird kid who is trying to fit in middle school. His school has this thing called the cheese touch because there was a piece of cheese left on the basketball that no one touches. One day this kid decided to touch it and he became the kid who touched the cheese. Then he left the school with the cheese touch. I would want to read books like this because the journal part Intrigued me. I like reading a book that is like you were reading someones diary.

message 18: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hoffman | 5 comments Book- life of a minecraft zombie
What i like about this book so far is that it is really cool to see what other people think a minecraft zombie does. And i dislike the book during the parts where there is a really weird scene where everyone throws up. The characters are steve and zombie and alex.

message 19: by Paloma (new)

Paloma Lemin | 4 comments The book I am reading is Orphan Island and I can relate to one of the main characters, Jinny. She is very stubborn and always wants her way. Sometimes she gives up easily and so do I. But she learns that she can't always get her way and that she can't just give up. Now she has to take care of a child who arrived on the island and like other Elders before her she has to teach this child. Even though she wants to she won't give up on this little girl because she cares deeply for her and the others on the island.

message 20: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Baumgardner | 2 comments The book i am reading is around the same sort of book i usually read,and i like stories like the one i'm reading because they can sometimes be challenging to read,but that usually helps me get better,and the characters are usually relatable and sometimes interesting.
I can relate to some of the characters feelings and how they react to certain events,and some of the stuff i read about has happened to me a couple of times.

message 21: by Bodeyteter (new)

Bodeyteter | 7 comments Cole wrote: "I like how my book is about basketball because I like basketball. Right now the main character is finding out if he made the basketball team or not. Dave gets mad and he begins to throw a fit becau..."i am bad at basketball

message 22: by Christioni (new)

Christioni Joy | 5 comments The Secret Identity of Devon Delaney In my book I am on page 25. What I like most about my book so far is that it is relatable to me and understandable. For example, the main character is in middle school just like me and the situation that is happening is relatable to some kids. The main character, Devon Delaney lied to one of her friends that lived near her grandmas house, she came to Devons school and now Devon does not know what to do because everyone else knows that it is not true.

message 23: by Devon (new)

Devon | 6 comments I like the book i am reading this is because the book i am reading is a manga. i like the manga because it has detailed illustrations to go with the story. there are many different types of book that can fall in to this category.

message 24: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Pascual | 4 comments The book that I am reading is called, Dizzy in your eyes, Poems about love by Pat Mora. What I like about this it has different theme or like a different story in each one of the pages. What I dislike about is how some stories are hard to understand and I have to picture what is going on in my head in order to understand what is going on.

message 25: by Adam (new)

Adam Lepley | 6 comments The book I'm reading, Slacker is about an eighth grader named Cameron who spends all of his time playing video games. His mother asked him to take dinner out of the oven while she left but, Cameron forgot and smoke poured out of the window and the neighbor called the fire department. The fire department broke down the front door and smoke ruined the parts of the house, so Cameron's upset parents are making him do another activity where he will be with humans and not look at a screen.
I can totally relate to Cameron and his love of video game because I spend a lot of time gaming myself.
I predict that Cameron will have a hard time finding another activity to enjoy and he might lose his game system.

message 26: by Jack (new)

Jack | 1 comments I really enjoy this book, the title is code of honor and so far I don't know what will happen to a boy being accused of a crime and is being taken form his home by law enforcement. So far I would recommend this book to a friend or classmate.

message 27: by Cooper (new)

Cooper | 4 comments I really enjoy my book its called legends. The book is about all of the grat things that have happened through out football history. Im currently reading about the stellers in the 70's and how good they were. they won 4 total super bowl under head coach chuck noll.

message 28: by Devon (new)

Devon | 6 comments I enjoy a book called Amulet the book is a graphic novel. the book is about a girl visits her gramps house and gets a stone that opens new dimensions with magic

message 29: by Allie (new)

Allie (alliebrynnwhitmore) | 2 comments The book i'm reading right now is called Hungry by H. A. Swain. Its about a girl named Thalia who lives in the future, were they don't eat food they just take pills. Most people are satisfied with the pills but Thalia starts becoming hungry and rejected from her society and is called crazy.I like the book I think its very interesting and Thalia is a likeable character.

message 30: by Bodeyteter (new)

Bodeyteter | 7 comments The book I am reading is a child called it and it is about this boy that has a abusive mither and he tries anything to get food or anything and it has some very bad situations and when he gets caught he gets punishments and it was based on a true story.

message 31: by Em (new)

Em Brown | 6 comments sorry I didn't do this sooner i never go an email about it so, I finished roseblood and now i'm on Zero Day page number for the book is 15. The thing i like about this book is that it contains a lot of action. Something i hate about my book is that i think it goes to fast and it doesnt have alot of detail on whats going on. Some predictions i have is that Addy and Darrow are gonna fall in love. Another one of my predictions is that the building that the people are trapped in is gonna blow up.