We Read Stuff discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books of the Month Nominations > October 2019 Nominations - Mythical Creatures

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katrisa (last edited Sep 07, 2019 08:31AM) (new)

Katrisa | 207 comments Mod
Here is the thread for nominating our October book. It will be open for nominations until the 14th of September. Our genre for October is Mythical Creatures..

A Few Reminders About Nominations

- Each member may nominate one book AND may also second one book that has already been nominated.

-If you want to only nominate or only second a book without nominating anything that is fine.

- If we get more than 10 nominations then the 10 books with the most seconds will go to the poll.

- There are no minimum page counts for a book to be nominated.

- Books must be first in a series or a stand alone unless the group has already read the book in the series that came before the one being nominated.

- Nominations will close the afternoon of September 14th

Current Nominations:

Dark Currents (Agent of Hel, #1) by Jacqueline Carey by Jacqueline Carey

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik by Naomi Novik

Deathless (Leningrad Diptych, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente by Catherynne M. Valente

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende by Michael Ende

message 2: by D (new)

D Dyer | 66 comments I nominate Dark Currents

message 3: by Katrisa (new)

I nominate
His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik

message 4: by D (new)

D Dyer | 66 comments I’ll second his Majesty‘s dragon. I’ve been meaning to get to that series.

message 5: by Jamie (last edited Sep 03, 2019 06:23AM) (new)

Jamie Zaccaria I nominate Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente.

Deathless (Leningrad Diptych, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente

Koschei the Deathless is to Russian folklore what devils or wicked witches are to European culture: a menacing, evil figure; the villain of countless stories which have been passed on through story and text for generations. But Koschei has never before been seen through the eyes of Catherynne Valente, whose modernized and transformed take on the legend brings the action to modern times, spanning many of the great developments of Russian history in the twentieth century.

Deathless, however, is no dry, historical tome: it lights up like fire as the young Marya Morevna transforms from a clever child of the revolution, to Koschei’s beautiful bride, to his eventual undoing. Along the way there are Stalinist house elves, magical quests, secrecy and bureaucracy, and games of lust and power. All told, Deathless is a collision of magical history and actual history, of revolution and mythology, of love and death, which will bring Russian myth back to life in a stunning new incarnation.

message 6: by Katrisa (new)

Deathless is SO good! I read that one in hardback, but I’ve been meaning to check it out on audio too because I think it would make a fantastic audio book.

message 7: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (valea22) | 63 comments I want to nominate the neverending story by Michael Ende, it’s been in my TBR forever!

message 8: by Lattisha (new)

Lattisha Fox (indigoinsane) | 31 comments I nominate The Last Unicorn!

message 9: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (valea22) | 63 comments I second the last unicorn

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.