The Procrastinators Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elysian (new)

Elysian (haeliks) | 373 comments Greetings, fellow procrastinators!

I always have a problem about picking up fantasy. Yes, I have many fantasy books on my tbr, but I still struggle! A nice cover, a hype and a somehow good sounding synopsis does not mean it is a great book. (Also it was my goodreads goal for 2019 to read more fantasy that are no retellings.)

1. I rarely find them them enjoying except they are a retelling
2. I did not read a fantasy story in the past two years I enjoyed without it being a retelling. (except one I read last year)
3. I have massive trust issues in picking up any fantasy I would like reading, because I think I will hate them and even though my expectations are pretty low they manage to be worse.

Well, I hope you get the glue. I hate fantasy except it is a retelling.

What I hate about fantasy stories:

- lack of character development
- lack of great world building
- ANY existing YA- trope
- ships I do not root for, because the romance is: toxic, feels forced or is not needed in the first place
- books being MASSIVE bricks or a very long series I loose interest in.
- plotholes and unrealistic stuff/chaos is happening

Fantasy I enjoyed that IS NOT a retelling

-The Hobbit or There and Back Again
-A Shiver of Snow and Sky

Fantasy books that I read, but disliked

Please, do not kill me, because one of your favs could be in here

-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
-City of Bones
-To Best the Boys
-The Cruel Prince
-The Hunger Games

I do not want to give up on fantasy, because it can be such a great genre with a lot of creativity. I really need to go into a few fantasy books that are really great and suit my taste so I can take fantasy serious again. Right now? Hell no, I do not.

message 2: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 1256 comments Have you tried any Neil Gaiman? His writing ranges from more mythological/surreal fantasy (like American Gods and Neverwhere) to high fantasy (like Stardust) to more creepy/horror and (Coraline/The Ocean at the End of the Lane)! None of his books are huge tomes, and they're all beautifully written!

message 3: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 430 comments Possibly the problem is that you don't get along with specifically YA fantasy? I'll have a look through your shelves and see if I can find some good fantasy recs aimed at adults.

I see you have Uprooted and Spinning Silver on your to-read - those are billed as retellings, but it's more that they take elements from several different fairy and folk tales and weave them together.
I'd recommend Spinning Silver more, though, because Uprooted does have a fair bit of romance, and it's not the most positive of love stories.
Naomi Novik's Temeraire series is also very good, it's set in a Regency-era England where dragons exist and serve as an air force in the Napoleonic wars. Adult fantasy, so no YA tropes here, and not much romance at all. It is a long-ish series, 9 books, but they're only around 350 pages each, to my recollection. (The first book in the series is Temeraire, alternately titled His Majesty's Dragon.)

I also see The Fifth Season on your shelves, would thoroughly recommend that, it is very down-to-earth gritty fantasy.

And lastly a rec of my own - The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's kind of a brick but doesn't feel like it - fast-paced, action-packed and fun. It's written in a quite modern writing style as well, rather than trying to mimick a Tolkienesque style like some high fantasy does.

message 4: by Elysian (new)

Elysian (haeliks) | 373 comments Laura wrote: "Have you tried any Neil Gaiman? His writing ranges from more mythological/surreal fantasy (like American Gods and Neverwhere) to high fantasy (like Stardust) to more creepy/horror and (Coraline/The..."

Hey! I really appreciate that you took your time to suggest something to me!

I am currently reading "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. It is my first book I read by him. I did not really count it, because I haven't finished it yet and it is kinda a mythology retelling I guess?

I will watch out for his other books though! I lately bought a shortstory collection by him M Is for Magic

I hope I will enjoy it. It is Neil Gaiman at least. :) I will try to get a hand on other books by him, because I actually like American Gods so far and you recommed it :) I will give it for sure a try!

message 5: by Laura ☾ (new)

Laura ☾ | 1256 comments Anytime!

well I wouldn’t really call American gods a retelling since he puts a completely different spin on things ;) but if you like his writing style definitely check out Neverwhere or Stardust!

message 6: by Elysian (new)

Elysian (haeliks) | 373 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "Possibly the problem is that you don't get along with specifically YA fantasy? I'll have a look through your shelves and see if I can find some good fantasy recs aimed at adults.

I see you have Up..."

Being honest, I never thought about that the issue could be that YA fantasy is not for me, because I am a teen and many adults still prefer YA fantasy over any Adult fantasy novel. (and I like YA retellings a lot) Thanks for pointing that out! I will try to reach out to more adult fantasy novels and see how much I like those!

Also I really appreciate that you went through my endless tbr to see what would be a good one for me to read.

I will try out the books you recommend me and put them on my tbr. I hope I will get around them this year! :)

Thanks, for your recommendations again!

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria | 70 comments One series I really enjoyed was the remnant chronicle series... the pros are that it had a huge plot twist throughout the first book and I think second book and i know you mentioned you enjoy slower paced books which this one kinda has that but it doesn’t drag on. Cons are that the last book of the trilogy is pretty thick and it does have romance in it. But overall I really enjoyed that series.

Also another one is the Ruined series. It’s a pretty easy read, only 3 books in series, tons of action. I’ve only read the first book, and have been meaning to get the rest of the series but they’re always out of them when I go to get them. I’ve heard really good things about it and loved the first book that I read it in like two days. I mean I can’t say too much because I haven’t truly finished it off, but I loved the first book.

message 8: by Elysian (new)

Elysian (haeliks) | 373 comments Laura wrote: "Anytime!

well I wouldn’t really call American gods a retelling since he puts a completely different spin on things ;) but if you like his writing style definitely check out Neverwhere or Stardust!"

His writing is marvelous! I will look out for those two (hopefully) gems!

message 9: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 430 comments Vincent wrote: "Being honest, I never thought about that the issue could be that YA fantasy is not for me, because I am a teen"

In that case, I may reconsider my rec for Fifth Season. 😬 Although of course, you know your own reading level best, regarding what sort of topics and scenes you can handle, there is a lot of disturbing stuff in there. Might want to hold off for a couple of years.

I won't bother warning you about Locke Lamora since if you're reading American Gods, you've seen worse...

message 10: by Elysian (new)

Elysian (haeliks) | 373 comments Maria wrote: "One series I really enjoyed was the remnant chronicle series... the pros are that it had a huge plot twist throughout the first book and I think second book and i know you mentioned you enjoy slowe..."

Oh yes! Slow pacing is my stuff.

Also I think it came across the wrong way. I do not hate romance in books. I only hate it, when it is toxic and forced. I have nothing against a little romance.

Thank you very much for recommending! I will look out to get at least to the slow paced one, because it sounds interesting.

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria | 70 comments Your welcome!! Yeah I’m the same with the whole cheesy/ almost comical romance thing, that series is very different in my opinion though. I didn’t think of it as being forced or anything so maybe you’d enjoy it then! It’s definitely one of my favorite fantasy series!!

message 12: by Bopeep (new)

Bopeep Hallyn (bopip) | 916 comments I want to recommend an epic fantasy that I really enjoyed.
It's The Soulforge. It's about the story of Raistlin from Dragonlance, and it's mostly character developed because this first book starts when he has 6 years. There are four books that develop his story, and I remember loving them all if you like quiet but ambitious characters.

Also, one that has similar vibes to that one is Seventh Son (Alvin MAker saga). It's a different fantasy because it happens on the non-independent USA (it reminds me of the wild west a bit) but it has magic. People are so superstitous and have those believes, even though not all people has those powers.

None of them are YA, and, on the first book at least there is no romance. Take a look at them, but I don't think if that what you're looking ^^

message 13: by Elysian (new)

Elysian (haeliks) | 373 comments Bopeep wrote: "I want to recommend an epic fantasy that I really enjoyed.
It's The Soulforge. It's about the story of Raistlin from Dragonlance, and it's mostly character developed because this firs..."

Hey, thanks for your recommendations! I already looked into them. I will try out The Soulforge. It had not a pretty cover, but a gem might be wrapped up in it :D

Sorry, I did not know Orson Scott Card writes fantasy too! He is an author I want to avoid by all costs so I can tell you in advance that I will not look into it.