Alice Baker Library Book Club discussion

What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alli (new)

Alli | 37 comments Mod
I am reading Hide and Seek by Fern Michaels. I've read several of her books this summer -- quick and light reads. I'm enjoying the series.

message 2: by Julianne (new)

Julianne Carlile | 1 comments I am reading Moonfall by Jack McDevitt. It is a science fiction novel about a comet that is headed straight for the moon and will destroy it and the moon station there, also causing havoc on earth from fallilng debris.

message 3: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla VdL (dunnopris) I'm reading "The Beach house" by Jane Green :)

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 3 comments I am reading the Snow Garden by Christopher Rice.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet | 1 comments I am rereading the Sara Paretsky novels about V.I. Warshasky, an intrepid but vulnerable female detective who lives in Chicago. I love the descriptions of Chicago and V.I.'s courage and humanity.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments I'm reading "Girl in the Mirror." It's a guide, if you will, on Mothers and Daughters in the Preteen Years and beyond. My daughter just turned 10, and oh boy, what a difference one more digit makes!

message 7: by Kathie (new)

Kathie Reading Nobody's Fool by Richard Russo. Enjoying the subtle humor.

message 8: by Alli (new)

Alli | 37 comments Mod
I am reading Book 5, "The Black Circle" by Patrick Carman. It is in the 39 Clues series -- mysteries for children primarily between 8 - 12 years old. My nieces also read these books. I have really enjoyed the books in the series and look forward to each new book!

message 9: by Kathie (new)

Kathie Just started The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. There has been A LOT of discussion on this book and author at my house and it's time to actually read the book for myself.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments Creative Counterpart by Linda Dillow.
The catergory is Marriage. One who ponders these pages will be refreshed by a delightful profitable discussion of marriage and homemaking. It will confirm (not tear apart, as society does) the role of motherhood and wifehood to a level of dignity and significance.

message 11: by Kathie (new)

Kathie Just started Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon. I heard about this book on the Books on the Nightstand podcast (which I highly recommend) and was really eager to read it. The book explores the concept of self-identity in three stories.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments I will start to read "Perfect Madness" (Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety) by Judith Warner

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments Carol wrote: "I did not like it at all, so I quit reading it."

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments I am now reading "Life's Too Short to Fold Your Underwear, by Patricia Lorenz. I like to alternate a heavy deep read with a light read.I am finding it to be hilarious.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments I'm reading "Becoming a Godly Wife," by Gil and Dana Stieglitz and also reading The Art of Jewish Prayer

message 16: by Kathie (new)

Kathie Just finished listening to Lady Killer by Lisa Scottoline. As my kids would say, "Meh".

message 17: by Carol (last edited Nov 08, 2009 07:46PM) (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments I just finished reading the book, "Becoming a Godly Wife," by Gil and Dana Stieglitz.
It is a book that I will purchase so that I can work on these areas at a slow pace. There is so many different subjects covered in this book that I will need to dissect it and work on their recommendations for the rest of my life. For example, the simple act of being an active but detached listener. It explains how men and woman are wired differently. I could work on this aspect alone for months before I master it. But, boy, the rewards do seem amazing enough to put the work in to gain a more spiritual and strong relationship with my husband and gain him as a soul mate, not just a paycheck that doesn't pick up his socks!

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments I'm going to read, "Handle with Care," by Jodi Picoult for my November book selection. Anyone else interesting in joining me?
Carol

message 19: by Kathie (last edited Nov 13, 2009 10:54PM) (new)

Kathie Reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. She's one of my favorite authors--love her use of language. I've been waiting for this one for quite awhile.

message 20: by Alli (new)

Alli | 37 comments Mod
I'm reading "The Day the Falls Stood Still" by Cathy Marie Buchanan. It is debut fiction. The book is well written. Good character development and good story.

message 21: by Kathie (last edited Dec 04, 2009 07:34AM) (new)

Kathie Just starting The Anthologist by Nicholson Baker. This book was discussed on the Slate book podcast and sounded like a great combination of literary and humorous.

message 22: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Marie Buchanan (cathymbuchanan) | 3 comments I'm reading After the Falls by Catherine Gildiner. It's a coming of age memoir. Her first memoir covered her remarkable childhood in Lewiston NY, a stone's throw from Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls ON is my home town and hence my interest in Catherine Gildiner's work. Her books are funny and clever and poignant.

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol Nain (focus2me) | 18 comments I'm reading 10 Days to a Less Distracted Child by Jeffrey Bernstein

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna (bcmom) | 2 comments I'm reading The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, because my son said he really liked it and Union Atlantic by Adam Haslett.

message 25: by Lynette (new)

Lynette Carpenter (ma-Lyn) | 1 comments Just starting Fire by kristin Cashore, her Gracling was good. Just finished Valentines Resolve, waiting for the next book in that series to get here. I've almost finished the series just #7 left. Also enjoying Tanya Huff lately.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura Blair | 1 comments Need by Carrie Jones. An interesting, YA paranormal romance.

message 27: by Alli (new)

Alli | 37 comments Mod
I'm starting The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. It is a debut fiction novel.

message 28: by Anna (last edited Jan 17, 2013 11:45AM) (new)

Anna (bcmom) | 2 comments Alli - I'm starting The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan. It is a debut fiction novel.

I read that last month. You'll have to let me know what you think.