Book Club - Paris discussion

Next Book > Next meeting?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Are there still meetings being held? I see the book/meeting was over a year ago and I was wondering if people were still interested in meeting :D

message 2: by Natalia (new)

Natalia B | 4 comments I am

message 3: by Khalil (new)

Khalil Mouna  | 1 comments Yes !

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Well, that's more than enough to start something :) What are you guys into reading? Do you have a specific book in mind?

message 5: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (khveronika) | 7 comments I would be too! :)

message 6: by Peter (new)

Peter | 3 comments Hi, I would be interested too! Is this still happening? :)

message 7: by Natalia (new)

Natalia B | 4 comments Hello everyone, I guess we just have to choose a book and a date to meet in October or November. We can start with the classics. I suggest Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men or The Sound and the Fury. Let's hear other suggestions and pick one together :)

message 8: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed Hafri | 2 comments @Natalia : I agree with you, and I propose starting with George Orwell's books animal farm, 1984 and so on...
Do you think we should create a Meetup in the meetup page ?

message 9: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (khveronika) | 7 comments +1 to Anlon's comment, I think that the classics have been "chewed through" quiet enough already & it would be more exciting to read sth new together :) I', currently on "The Bookseller of Kabul" & find it absolutely fascinating!!! This one would also be great for opening up discussions!

message 10: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments May I suggest doodle? It does not require an account, it is fast and you can get updates via email.
The links bellow are an example of how it could work:
For the date: https://doodle.com/poll/3traxdguuq257vzp
For the book: https://doodle.com/poll/98e9g4eaabxu64vg

message 11: by Peter (last edited Sep 18, 2019 12:28AM) (new)

Peter | 3 comments Anything around the second half of November would be ok for me.

For this first meeting, I suggest to vote a date for the two following meetings. Then at each meeting we vote the date for the N+2 meeting: in this way there is some flexibility and is stable enough.

message 12: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments I agree Anlon, it's best if we meet up regularly. However, every three weeks might be a little too close. We could maybe do a monthly meeting in which we vote for the next dates (and place if the café I have proposed doesn't suit us) like Peter said.

message 13: by Natalia (new)

Natalia B | 4 comments Hello!
I just voted for the books. The end of november works for me, but I am busy on Wednesdays.

message 14: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (khveronika) | 7 comments Just voted for books & dates too!
+1 to Anlon's comment, Saturdays would be fine for me too
& yepp, fine with a location at a café!

message 15: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed Hafri | 2 comments Both Friday's night and Saturday suit me, and I am ok with the location.

message 16: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments @Anlon, Friday November 15th has 4 votes already. I can make Fridays work, Saturdays are harder for me (Wednesdays are perfect, but I get that it's an odd day).

As for the book, I say we close voting on October 1st (to give us time to buy and read the book but also to give a little extra time to anyone who would still like to vote).

message 17: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments I'm excited about this whole thing! :D

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter | 3 comments The second half of November is ok, but for the moment Friday doesn’t work for me. :( Wednesday or Sunday would be more suitable. Also, would it be in the evening? The place seems fine though!

message 19: by Ashley Arguello (last edited Sep 26, 2019 04:35AM) (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments @Peter oh no :( I hope you can make it! Yes, it would be in the evening so more people (a.k.a. me) can come :)

So to recap, we are:
- meeting on Nov. 15 at 19h at Le Café Livres, 10 Rue Saint-Martin, 75004 Paris (I put down 19h-22h on the doodle, but we can finish later if need be. If the café does not suit us we can try somewhere else next time)
- we will be discussing Stoner, by John Williams (hailed as "the greatest American novel you've never heard of")

message 20: by Ludovic (new)

Ludovic | 4 comments Hello all ! Great work resurrecting this bookclub, I'll try to join you if I manage to read the book in time.

message 21: by Faten (new)

Faten Triki (fatentriki) | 1 comments Hi eveyone!
I'm unavailable in November but looking forward to the next book and meeting and hoping I will be able to join.
Great work on reviving this group I have been looking for a bookclub for a while!

message 22: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Ludovic wrote: "Hello all ! Great work resurrecting this bookclub, I'll try to join you if I manage to read the book in time."

I hope you can make it! I feel like it's o.k. if you haven't finished it, you'll still have things to say and I don't think we can really talk about "spoilers" for this book ^^

message 23: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Faten wrote: "Hi eveyone!
I'm unavailable in November but looking forward to the next book and meeting and hoping I will be able to join.
Great work on reviving this group I have been looking for a bookclub for..."

We'll be sure to post the date and book decided here so you can join us! :)

message 24: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments An interesting article I stumbled upon, I thought might be of interest for our reading :D

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2...

message 25: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (khveronika) | 7 comments Hi, all!
I unfortunately haven't managed to finish the book but would be still up for joining tonight, if we've still got the event happening? :)

message 26: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments I’m currently sitting (alone) waiting. I think I will wait another 20-30 min. (because metro is a mess today so I hope some of y’all are just stuck in traffic) before leaving :D

message 27: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments o.k. guys, I’m leaving 😬

message 28: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (khveronika) | 7 comments Only saw the notification now 😐 Was there as well & left after a while because I thought no one is coming 🤷🏻‍♀️ guess it doesn't work that well without help from some other channels like exchanging phone numbers or a meetup event 😅

message 29: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Yeah, I told the waiter why I was there, but word did not get around to the other waiters. At one point I was told that someone came in and left because the waiter at the door said no one was there. So for next time maybe we will need to think of
1. calling in ahead of time
2. exchanging numbers or something

That being said, Veronika, would you like to meet up sometime this week or next to discuss the book?

message 30: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (khveronika) | 7 comments Ahhh that would've been me then & was even asking multiple waiters :(
I'd absolutely be up for meeting up this week! Just finished the book tonight at 2am & the impressions are still fresh :D
I've got tomorrow, Thursday or Friday night available from 7.00-7.30 pm on, or otherwise the whole weekend too, let me know if that would maybe work for you!

message 31: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Hey, I reached out via Instagram :)

message 32: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Hello all :) Is anyone still interested in meeting, maybe at the end of January?
If you are, Veronika and I came up with 3 suggestions, and would love to hear your own:
1. The Testament, Margaret Atwood
2. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Philip K. Dick
3. The Queen of the South, Arturo Perez Reverte

For those who are interested, we can add a doodle on Monday to vote on the book suggestions as well as a date that would work for all.

I look forward to hearing from you guys :)

message 33: by Alan (new)

Alan | 172 comments Mod
Hey guys! I checked back in to gauge interest in getting the bookclub back on the go and I see all you good folks are already on it! I have a problem with notifications, so if I'd know you were organising I'd have piped up earlier.

Fantastic, I'll be excited about a meetup in January, if I can make it (its always fifty-fifty as I have my kid one week out of two).

Did anyone put up a Doodle then for a book?

Alan

message 34: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Alan wrote: "Hey guys! I checked back in to gauge interest in getting the bookclub back on the go and I see all you good folks are already on it! I have a problem with notifications, so if I'd know you were org..."
Hi Allan,

We haven't decided anything for January, no book nor date, because no one answered. But if you're in, let us know what you think of the book selection we came up with:
1. The Testament, Margaret Atwood
2. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Philip K. Dick
3. The Queen of the South, Arturo Perez Reverte

Or if you have any other book in mind. As for the date, because it's just us two (maybe three) at the moment, we can definitely work around your schedule. I'm fine with almost any day, except Wednesday, as long as it's after 18h30

message 35: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (khveronika) | 7 comments I'm up for any date in Jan (except for the very end of the month & Jan 6th) & would be for reading "The Testament" 🙋🏻‍♀️

message 36: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Lucas | 1 comments Hi! Is this book club still going? If so, are you taking new members? I’m new to Paris and would love to join if possible!

message 37: by Ashley Arguello (new)

Ashley Arguello | 21 comments Hiya Natalie, the bookclub is still up :) We are reading Philip K. Dick's Do Androids dream of electric sheep. We are meeting on Jan. 22 (next Wednesday) at 19h at Café Livres 10 Rue Saint-Martin, 75004. If you can't finish the book in time, that's quite all right, you are more than welcome to swing by!

Any other people in the group who would like to come are, of course, more than welcome :D