Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Rise of a Merchant Prince (The Serpentwar Saga, #2)
This topic is about Rise of a Merchant Prince
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Rise of a Merchant Prince [Oct 1 ,2019]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6772 comments Spot:-)

Timelord Iain | 16606 comments Finally started, super late...

This book has played with my emotions similar to the first book. I LOVED the first third of the book... I guess I'm just really interested in reading about people becoming successful merchants/accountants, between this, Baru Cormorant, and Fred the Vampire Accountant... there's a bit of a turning point in the story, tho, as success gets the better of Roo... (view spoiler)

I'm around 75% right now, so I can't say exactly how my final rating will be, but I know it's probably not the 5 star rating I would have given it early on...

Choko (chokog) | 6772 comments I will start this one tomorrow. I am reading Vlad today:-)

Timelord Iain | 16606 comments Choko wrote: "I will start this one tomorrow. I am reading Vlad today:-)"

Gotcha playing catchup :D

I'm thinking about starting Thursday Next soon... then we'll be ping-ponging between BRs, lol...

Choko (chokog) | 6772 comments I am cool with that :-)

Choko (chokog) | 6772 comments So, I am up to Ch 11 and I am so angry with that Jacoby dude! I know Roo deserves some payback for what he did, but this is too much! People definitely aren't playing around with their vendettas. And I feel bad for the girl he is about to merry... I hope he loves her and treats her nicely...

Also, I wonder if there is going to be a love triangle between the Captain, Pug and Miranda... I really hope not! I want all of them to be happy!

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Oh great I am behind again....
Will start today for sure :)

Choko (chokog) | 6772 comments Great! I hope you enjoy it, Pallavi:-)

Up to Ch 17... (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 6772 comments I finished... I am not sure how I feel about everything. I still love the story and the characters, but this whole book was about Roo, and he seems to be my least favorite character of them all... However, I am very interested in Eric and the company, so I am giving it 4 stars, because I am hooked:):):):)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments oooo... that was fast @choko
in chapter 1 :(

Timelord Iain | 16606 comments I basically read everything fast now, since speeding up my audiobooks from 2x to 3x... been doing 2-4 books a day for the past 2 weeks, with the occasional short story thrown in... 300 pages book is 3-4hrs now, instead of 5-6...

Timelord Iain | 16606 comments Choko wrote: "Great! I hope you enjoy it, Pallavi:-)

Up to Ch 17... [spoilers removed]"

That's how I started to feel myself, around the halfway point... the beginning was SO GOOD... then it started to deteriorate...

Kinda reminded me of one of the Classics I had to read in English class in school... the one with the stock market stuff and a car ride at the beginning and end of the book, that showcased the change in emotions entering a town with hope and leaving in despair, or something... been nearly 2 decades since I read it...

Choko (chokog) | 6772 comments I completely understand! As I said though, I still love the story and am committed to it all the way:-)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments finished it yesterday
3.5 stars from me.
it was okish read.... I did like Erik's part and Roo's part was interesting but I see no future in Roo's part.
Let's see in the next book..

Timelord Iain | 16606 comments Pallavi wrote: "finished it yesterday
3.5 stars from me.
it was okish read.... I did like Erik's part and Roo's part was interesting but I see no future in Roo's part.
Let's see in the next book.."

Just in time for the next one ;)

These books are OK... for the most part I don't have trouble continuing to listen... they've just never quite lived up to the Empire trilogy, for me, my favorite series/trilogy of the bunch, so far... the first one in particular...

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Pallavi wrote: "finished it yesterday
3.5 stars from me.
Let's see in the next book....."

Thats the Wurts Magic..
Empire Trilogy is the best :)