Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Shadow of a Dark Queen (The Serpentwar Saga, #1)
This topic is about Shadow of a Dark Queen
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Shadow of a Dark Queen [Sept 1, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Timelord Iain | 15534 comments Yay... that was quick...

Choko (chokog) | 5289 comments I am in, as we know:-)

Timelord Iain | 15534 comments SO I read this book yesterday...

For how long the book is, it didn't feel like much happened...

I liked the beginning, and how much detail went into it, then The Instigating Event happened, and the book became what almost all Feist solo books seem to be... a journey/travel book...

The next event that stands out is the one in the capital...

Then some combat/training and travel... then the climax, with a couple things in between...

For a series called the Serpentwar Cycle, I expected more onscreen serpents... they felt like more of a presence in the original Riftwar Cycle, I think... maybe I'm being picky, and for sure they will be around more in the 2nd or 3rd book... I guess that's why this is called the SHADOW of a Dark Queen...

Have you guys started, yet?

Choko (chokog) | 5289 comments I am so very behind! I will be here, just need couple of more days!!! So sorry!

Graeme Rodaughan | 2044 comments I have this in hardcover and read it when it came out. Feist was my go to author for a couple of decades.

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments I too need few days to wrap up some ongoing reads :(

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments started... in chapter 5
I like this calm slow world... and also I know soon it will change..

Choko (chokog) | 5289 comments I read it and finished two days ago! I loved it so much, I actually gave it 5 stars! Yes, there were some things that bugged me, but the overall picture for a beginning of a series is very promising...

Choko (chokog) | 5289 comments Pallavi! So glad you are here with us! So we are going to continue, right? I really want to read the whole series this time:-):-):-)

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments sure @choko
I am around 350 pages
it's a okish book for me. I liked the first few chapters where Erik and Roo were introduced.
Next bits are a bit tangled. Let's see where it ends ...

Timelord Iain | 15534 comments Pallavi wrote: "sure @choko
I am around 350 pages
it's a okish book for me. I liked the first few chapters where Erik and Roo were introduced.
Next bits are a bit tangled. Let's see where it ends ..."

Yea, that was my problem... I grew attached to the intro chapters...

Pallavi (bookfetisher) | 109 comments Finished it.
A mediocre read for me. Very promising start and As always the ending was rushed.
Though Erik seemed the main character he doesn't seem to have any special skills or capabilities except hulking around.
Hoping for some fun in next in the series.
I might start the next book in 2,3 days.

Timelord Iain | 15534 comments Pallavi wrote: "Finished it.
A mediocre read for me. Very promising start and As always the ending was rushed.
Though Erik seemed the main character he doesn't seem to have any special skills or capabilities exce..."

Always good to hear I wasn't the odd duck, when others catch up to me ;)

Choko (chokog) | 5289 comments It has to do with timing as well... Some things are better or worse depending on our mood:-)