Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

The Getaway
This topic is about The Getaway
Monthly Book Reads > Getaway, The - September 2019

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Darren (dazburns) | 637 comments Mod
In September we will be reading The Getaway by Jim Thompson for our Crime category - who's in?
The Getaway by Jim Thompson

Phil (lanark) | 426 comments Me. I might try the Internet Archive borrowing library facility this month for our two read rather than buying copies.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I'm in--I have it in my bag ready to take with me when I leave for work tomorrow. Looks short enough to read in a day

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 46 comments I'm in. I also am reading by nominee A Dark-Adapted Eye because I need it for a challenge in the classics group.

message 5: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts | 363 comments Marilyn wrote: "I'm in. I also am reading by nominee A Dark-Adapted Eye because I need it for a challenge in the classics group."

I read this earlier this year and loved it! The ending has stayed with me and whenever I see it crop up I start puzzling all over again.

message 6: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts | 363 comments I had a copy of this and whizzed through it yesterday afternoon. I liked it a lot more than I thought I could. I thought it was going to be a Sam Spade type thing and I can't seem to get on with those at all. Instead it was a smart, slick, almost psychological thriller. Awesome ending!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I'm curious to see how close this one stays to the movie--both versions, actually

Leslie | 825 comments I just got a copy of this from the library so I guess I'm in... Having not read this before nor seen the movie, I have no expectations - it will be interesting to see how I like it.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Just started this evening. I'm sure I'll finish it the next time I pick it up, it's so short. So far I'm liking it a lot.

Leslie | 825 comments I read this today - well written but not my preferred kind of book. I did think that the ending was excellent though!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments I liked this okay overall, but the scene with Carol in the cave had me absolutely climbing the walls. I wouldn't say I'm exactly claustrophobic...or at least I wasn't before I read this, but the idea of getting stuck was really starting to freak me out.

I don't know if any one saw Blair Witch 2016, but there was a scene near the end with the girl crawling through the tunnels that still makes my skin crawl. The scene in The Getaway was just about as bad for me.

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 130 comments Start out thinking you’re riding with Dashiell Hammett. End up spending the rest of your life with Kafka.

message 13: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil (lanark) | 426 comments I kind of enjoyed this until the wtf last chapter. Then, after thinking about it for a few days after finishing it, I liked the whole les than I thought I had when reading it - if that makes any sense at all.

I was swept along with it when reading it, but afterwards I started thinking.... hold on, but what about....

They're an utter bunch of shits, though, every one of them.

message 14: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts | 363 comments Phil wrote: "I kind of enjoyed this until the wtf last chapter. Then, after thinking about it for a few days after finishing it, I liked the whole les than I thought I had when reading it - if that makes any se..."

Haha - but totally with you! You forget how many people they kill as you are reading it.

message 15: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil (lanark) | 426 comments True - there seems to be a murder in every chapter. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Getaway (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jim Thompson (other topics)