Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
This topic is about Shiver
Book Club Discussions > September: Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Misty | 1505 comments it's a pretty quick read, I would say.
Also, for those of you just starting it, I would suggest you pay attention to the headers of each chapter. It took me 4 or 5 before I realized the temperature was noted on each...

message 2: by vicki_girl (new) - added it

vicki_girl | 157 comments I thought you guys might want to know that www.thebookdepository.com has the hardcover of Shiver on sale for ~$9 USD.

I just ordered mine, so hopefully I can start reading in by the end of next week!

Shannon (theholyterror) | 6 comments I like how the chapters flip-flop between Sam and Grace. It's a nice way to get insight into both characters POVs. I haven't read that far yet but it's been pretty intense! This was a good pick for this month too, the weather and season is a big part of the atmosphere of the book.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I really enjoyed this book, once I started it was tough to put it down. It's timely as well, with the popularity of human/supernatural relationships right now. I enjoyed the Twilight books, but actually prefer the characters here in Shiver. It didn't take 100 pages for me to decide if I cared enough about them to read on like I felt about Twilight. Grace and Sam seemed very believable, and not written in the lame "high schooler speak" some authors use.

Misty | 1505 comments I really liked Sam. I think he felt the most fleshed out and real to me, and made me want to keep reading.

Kelly  | 19 comments I am almost finished. I have mixed feelings about the book. I will post more when finished. I am enjoying it. I loved the candy store scene I had total butterflies in my stomach.

Misty | 1505 comments I thought you guys might enjoy this. It's a little Maggie Stiefvater treat. Very funny.

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I'm with you, Kelly! The candy store scene was really well done.

Midnight (dreamofdreams) | 15 comments I liked the two sided story, first Sam and then Grace; it allows us to see things from both of them and to understand how each feels and views the situation going on. I also like the twist to the werewolf cannon, and the need stressed for secrecy and why. I felt both main characters were rather well developed and I could empathize with their plight throughout the story.

Kelly  | 19 comments Midnight wrote: "I liked the two sided story, first Sam and then Grace; it allows us to see things from both of them and to understand how each feels and views the situation going on. I also like the twist to the ..."

I also liked the two POV's. Reminded me of how the Time Travelers Wife was written. W/o the time travel.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I still haven't decided if I want to read this book or not. Is there more to this plot that the relationship between Sam and Grace? Is there something else going on?

Misty | 1505 comments Um, yeah, sort of.

message 13: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (sarakd) I'm about two thirds of the way through Shiver and really enjoying it. I think Stiefvater has done (at least so far) a really good job of making the supernatural aspect seem believable without spending too much time explaining exactly how it happens. Also, I've enjoyed how Sam's issues, while werewolf related, really have to do with coming-of-age and coming to terms and something more meatier than a typical supernatural romance novel.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I just ordered this on Amazon and it shipped yesterday, so hopefully I'll be getting it soon :)

message 15: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (reedye) | 71 comments A heads up to all the UKers.
Amazon are shipping the UK paperback now! (at 40% off)

Jeannie | 24 comments Misty wrote: "I thought you guys might enjoy this. It's a little Maggie Stiefvater treat. Very funny."

That was very cute! I have spent all summer reading girl's YA stuff for my MA thesis this fall, and am so tired of vampire love!:)

Jeannie | 24 comments I am enjoying the parallels between the Rilke poetry and Sam's character. I hadn't been interested in Rilke before, but now I've been trying to get my hands on a good translation/volume of his works.

Also, I like the theme of the different kinds of loneliness that the various characters are experiencing....interesting.
Stiefvater has a very lyrical writing style. I really liked Sam's description of how he had to practically stalk sleep....(I don't have the bk in front of me for the exact phrasing!:))

Koori no hi I know it's really late but I finally found a copy a shiver to read. My library should be getting it in the mail next week!

message 19: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (reedye) | 71 comments I'm finished and loved it.

Koori no hi I wrote a story for school a while back and the wherewolf character was nammed Sam too

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 54 comments Jeannie wrote: "I am enjoying the parallels between the Rilke poetry and Sam's character. I hadn't been interested in Rilke before, but now I've been trying to get my hands on a good translation/volume of his work..."

Jeannie - that was one of the more enjoyable features of Shiver for me also - then I picked up Graceling and Rilke is mentioned in it also! I was just at the library reading some but I fear that something is lost in the translation. ;-b

Robyn Hawk
Amazon ID: Reading It All
http://booksreadingitall.blogspot.com/

Robyn Hawk (aflyonthewall) | 54 comments Oh - I forgot to mention - I thoroughly enjoyed Shiver - I felt there were moments that dragged but it was such a fast read and great twist on traditional werewolf stories, that it didn't matter.

My review is on my blog...

Robyn Hawk
Amazon ID: Reading It All
http://booksreadingitall.blogspot.com/

Carol Littlejohn (carol50) | 12 comments The best thing about "Shiver" was the cover. The blueness (with the touch of red blood) gave a "chilling" effect to the novel. At first, I was confused by the two viewpoints, but that's probably because I don't pay attention to chapter titles like I should. However, I thought the plot was great, but the characters were a bit flat. Why did Grace's parents abandon her so often? Why did Sam's parents abuse him? I couldn't even get into Grace's friends. Too bad. I was really looking forward to reading this one, but I think my expectations were too high.

Misty | 1505 comments Carol wrote: "The best thing about "Shiver" was the cover. The blueness (with the touch of red blood) gave a "chilling" effect to the novel. At first, I was confused by the two viewpoints, but that's probably be..."

That was my problem, too. Other than Sam, I thought they all felt a bit flat, even Grace at times. Two 1-dimensional.

Kelly  | 19 comments Carol wrote: "The best thing about "Shiver" was the cover. The blueness (with the touch of red blood) gave a "chilling" effect to the novel. At first, I was confused by the two viewpoints, but that's probably be..."

Sam's parents thought they could fix him they new he was a wolf and thought he was possessed.

Grace's parents didn't abandon her they just had a life of thier own and every teen thinks they should be the center of everyone's world!

Yes she could have gone into more detail about the friends.

I really thought this book was beautiful. 5 stars probably not but I'd give it 4.

Misty | 1505 comments I think her parents did abandon her in a way. Abandoned may be too strong, but they were a bit absentee. And I think Stiefvater intended it like that, so that it wouldn't be completely absurd and unbelievable in certain situations, like Grace sneaking Sam in, etc. It was one of the things that bothered me, actually, because it didn't seem developed, it seemed convenient.

Carol Littlejohn (carol50) | 12 comments I agree, Misty, that it seemed so convenient to have Grace's parents absent. That's one reason I thought the characters were flat and one-dimensional. Otherwise, how else could Sam hide in Grace's bedroom? It would be okay if the absentee parents were explained, but they never were!

Misty | 1505 comments And I didn't see it coming. It was like her relationship seemed fine and Grace herself seemed fine, until all of a sudden, it wasn't and she wasn't. We were supposed to suddenly believe that BOTH her parents systematically ignore her, and that's why she's able to get sucked into this world, but it kind of snuck up and wasn't an issue until it needed to be.

Carol Littlejohn (carol50) | 12 comments Once again, I agree with you, Misty. The parents appeared (and disappeared) to move the plot along. That's why I think the plot was a great idea, but then the author had to fill in all the holes and this made the characters seem lifeless. I really didn't have any feelings for the characters at the end--or the beginning. That's why the book was such a disappointment.

Misty | 1505 comments I think it was a sign of her being a fairly young writer. I certainly saw potential and there were things I loved, so I think she will get better and make me love her books in years to come. (fingers crossed)

Misty | 1505 comments Yes, please.

message 32: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (reedye) | 71 comments Great idea ;-) Anyone read Lament as well?

Carol Littlejohn (carol50) | 12 comments I've read Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception. I liked it better than Shiver. This book describes the real faeries in folklore: mischievous, sometimes cruel creatures that prey on unprotected humans. Only cold iron will save humans. In this book, Deirdre Monaghan is a 16-year-old music student. She meets Luke at a concert. Luke’s intention is to murder her, but instead he falls in love with her. Now Deirdre knows that, if Luke can’t kill her, than it’s the Faerie Queen’s job. Will Deirdre escape “The Faerie Girl’s Lament”?

Kelly  | 19 comments Bill wrote: "Great idea ;-) Anyone read Lament as well?"

I am picking up a copy of Lament from the Library this week.

I am looking forward to reading more from her.

message 35: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (reedye) | 71 comments The follow up to Lament has just been published called Ballad.

Kelly  | 19 comments Bill wrote: "The follow up to Lament has just been published called Ballad.

"

Great! I love when I come late to a series and I don't have to wait for the books.

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments I am STILL waiting to receive this book from my library! Can you believe that?

Koori no hi I Finally got Shiver from the Library today! I requested it like 2 months ago! I will start reading it as soon as I finish Coraline and The Wyrm King. I really need to stop reading more than one book at a time.

Misty | 1505 comments I'll chat with ya. :)

Koori no hi I'm gonna start reading it sometime this weekend.

Koori no hi Is Maggie gonna be in Wild Things to talk to us, Fiona?

Koori no hi sometime in there sounds good, though I'll be busy between 2-3

message 43: by Koori no hi (last edited Oct 10, 2009 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Koori no hi I just read Shiver! It took me about 7 hours but I couldn't put it down. It was good, but I'm not all that much of a romance person.
(Shiver -as long as it is- still hasn't broken my longest book read in one sitting record. That would be East)

Misty | 1505 comments I read The Host in one sitting because I was babysitting over night. It's a wonder my eyeballs didn't start bleeding...

Koori no hi how long was the host?

Misty | 1505 comments 619 pages. The thing was, I went to babysit with two books, cause I was almost done with the one, so I finished and immediately started The Host, and read straight through. I also read the last few HP books in one sitting, and they are big honkin' things, too. I'm really bad for reading through the night and screwing up my sleep.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I finished Shiver about a week ago. What did you guys think about Sam's parents? Did you find their attempt to kill Sam by cutting his wrists a bit over the top? I did. While I understand it was done to set up that later bathtub scene (the best scene in this book BTW), I found it very implausible and even bizarre. Why didn't they give him some sleeping pills or something like that?

Koori no hi That is a good question Titiana. Why cut his wrists, why not use some other way to kill him? If I was his parent I wouldn't have killed him anyway. Even if I thought it was for the best, I would have felt so guilty even just considering it that I wouldn't have been able to kill him - or allow anyone else to.

Misty | 1505 comments Maybe blood loss was the only way they could kill him, or the most efficient. Who knows how fast he'd metabolize pills, how they'd effect him, or how easily they'd be able to force feed them to him.

Tatiana (tatiana_g) It's a gruesome topic, but how about drowning? The cutting just seems such a violent and messy way...

« previous 1