Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

BoM (Archived) > (Sept) The Rest Falls Away - *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
If you are finished with The Rest Falls Away you can discuss the book here, Spoilers OK!

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) I love this series! It is so fabulous and I'm sad that it ended. I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks!

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I am not sure I dig the regency thing, never really have.. but I am intrigued so I am sticking with it.

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) I grew up with historical romance novels, so I love it when I find vampires in that setting.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I really loved the series too. I actually went in search of more historical paranormal books because of it.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (Literary Escapism) (literaryescapism) Did you find any good ones? I've only come across Linda Lael Miller's vampire series (which I love). Although I haven't really looked all that hard.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes. I read Kim Lenox's Shadow Guard books and they were amazing. No vampires, but the heroes are Immortals who reclaim evil souls, and it's set in Victorian London. Night Falls Darkly and So Still The Night are out now. Darker Than Night comes out in April I think.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh and I have to add, I am very rarely surprised by PNR authors, but Kim Lenox completely surprised me at the end of book 2.

message 9: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments I read this book last year and I fell in love with the quote at the beginning of the book that inspired the title. I've read the rest of the series except for the final book. The ending of book one was sad, considering what Victoria had to do.

I liked the solutions to the problem of how would Victoria fight with voluminous skirts? Things you don't think of, because the only vampire hunters we usually see are sent in the present and it's a-ok for women now to wear pants.

message 10: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments I am over 1/2 and to be honest the only reason I am sticking with it is because it is a BOTM and for the discussions, so I guess I am wondering is it worth finishing:

(1) because it doesn't seem to be capturing me

(2) not seeing a lot of discussion on the book, I peeked to see what was going on and kind of bummed right now....

message 11: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I thought this book was good. And that's saying a lot since I really dont like the regency type stuff at all.

I think this is one of those hit or miss type books and it may have just missed with some people.

I plan to definitely get the second book in the series as I am very interested to see what happens next.

I don't want to say too much since you are only halfway done, but I think its worth finishing.. as well - as I said above - getting the next book after.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it's worth finishing too. The first book was kind of slow for me, but the series is one of my favorites.

message 13: by ♦Jennifer♦ (last edited Sep 27, 2009 11:13PM) (new)

♦Jennifer♦ (thejenneral) | 83 comments I was kinda meh on this one. It wasn't my favorite, but certainly it isn't the worst thing I've ever read.

I'm gonna try and finish the series though.

message 14: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

There are a lot of aspects about the book that sucked for me personally.. but your review actually hit the nail on the head Jennifer..

Once the story got into the vamp stuff it became better. And the not so happy ending that normal books have I really liked as well.
It made me want to pick up the second book in the series to see what happens.

And that to me makes a book good. Even if I dont rate it 5 stars.

message 15: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments I finished this weekend and I am glad I did. Things definitely picked up... and I SOOOOOOO did not see Philip getting turned, I was like OMG I can't believe they went there!!! Then the bittersweet end where she killed him??? wow.....

I have to say I agree with Tricia in that I definitely count this as a good book (3 of 5 stars) since I would pick up the next one, but I think overall in another writers hands it could have been more... just thinking of LA Banks or LKH type author

anyways my 2 cents...

message 16: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments I've read 4/5 of the series. There are a few more surprises in store. I will say there are parts where the story feels it drags a bit. Especially when Victoria is around her mother. But I think it's worth it, to see Victoria's growth, and the other sides to Max and Sebastian.

I was caught off guard too when Philip was changed. Who would have the strength to poof the person they absolutely love???

message 17: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

After the end of the book there was a sneak peak of the next, and I wont spoil it for you but you realize something isnt what it was!! GO READ IT! lol

message 18: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Backman | 13 comments I finished this on the 29th. It really didn't pick up until half way through. I don't think I would read the next book.

message 19: by Joelle (new)

Joelle | 47 comments It was a total miss for me ....I just couldn't get into it

message 20: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Aww, well that's ok! Is why there are TONS of books out there right?! :D

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) ♥Tricia♥ wrote: "After the end of the book there was a sneak peak of the next, and I wont spoil it for you but you realize something isnt what it was!! GO READ IT! lol"

Is it really worthwhile? I kind of expected the ending in this book, but it was still upsetting. I haven't been able to bring myself to read the second installment.

message 22: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Well.. I think it is. I don't wish to spoil it for anyone but I feel the next book is worth a try.