Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

MGR [archived] > (SEPT) Angel's Blood *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
Finished with the MGR? Feel free to discuss the book here!

message 2: by Joelle (last edited Sep 04, 2009 06:30AM) (new)

Joelle | 47 comments Loved that Raphael was not a good boy scout out to save the world. He was dark and brooding...Raphael is immortal and an archangel. That means he is one of the Cadre of Ten, loved this concept and the dynamics of the group was fascinating. Frankly I loved the ending..Raphael rising out of the ashes with Elena was one of the most touching scenes I read in awhile. Now Elena's and angel...do you think the future books will centre mainly around them?

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user I think there's only one more book centered around them. I loved that the angels were so cutthroat and dangerous and awe-inspiring at the same time. Really captures it.

message 4: by ♦Jennifer♦ (new)

♦Jennifer♦ (thejenneral) | 83 comments The whole Elena turning in to an angel really was unexpected for me, I thought for certain she would be a vampire.

And I really thought that Angels making vampires was an interesting concept as well. Because vampires are usually cast in a evil/dark light, and in this book it's not necessarily that way. And the same thing with the angels, they weren't necessarily good.

I certainly hope that future books center around Elena and Raphael. I'm dying to see how Elena handles being a Angel.

message 5: by new_user (last edited Sep 06, 2009 02:16AM) (new)

new_user Well, yeah, she cast angels in a completely new light. Angels as the creators of vampires. That's really kind of a negative association. It makes them very morally ambiguous, maybe even dark, certainly ruthless.

message 6: by Katt (new)

Katt Loved Raphael, Who was an angel but also a man. Loved how Strong of a Woman Elena was. Would not cower to Angels or Vampires, and did not want to be a vampire. I hope the next story has her learning what an angel is about. Also loved the concept of his Love changing her.

message 7: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
I just started this book and WOW is Raphael yummy!!!

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

OH MY GOD!!

This book just took my #1 favorite book spot! I LOVED IT..

I just finished writing my review and it was LOOONG so I will just link it so I don't have to retype!

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

But wow I am sad that I won't get to read more about this series until next year! /pouts

message 9: by Katt (new)

Katt Tricia, I so agree with you. Your review was great much better then I can do. I cannot wait for her next book either.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I just read it a few days ago and loved it too. Did you read the prequel too, Tricia?

message 11: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

No! There is a prequel!?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah it's called Angel's Pawn. It's only available as an ebook. You can buy it from Fictionwise here:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b83...

There is also a short story called Angel's Judgment in the Must Love Hellhounds anthology that came out this month.

message 13: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Thanks Jan! :D

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

You're welcome :)

message 15: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I just started the book last night, and so far it is good. I can't wait to continue on and see what happens.

message 16: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments This was my first Nalini Singh book and yowza did I really like it! I too found the ending unexpected. Although, considering it was said over and over how she loved to fly or wished she had wings, I was wondering why I hadn't thought of it.

message 17: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) I also loved this book! What a joy to read something with totally new concepts in the kinda overdone PNR world. There was enough worldbuilding details for me to just-that-quick fall in love with the characters; finally, a tough, independent heroine who's not a man-hater! And wow, Nalini Singh can give Laurell K. Hamilton a run for her money now as queen of hot male character descriptions!!! So, I have to ask, WHO do you envision as Raphael? Wouldn't THIS make a killer movie?

message 18: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I can never envision anyone in the books I love as movie characters. There is not one man hot enough to do the books justice imo.

And I know a lot of women can, so for me if they did make a movie of the books I loved I would end up being really disappointed :(

message 19: by new_user (new)

new_user Totally agree, Cindi. Although, like Tricia, I couldn't imagine anyone in the part. Wouldn't mind a movie though. Just out of curiosity.

message 20: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

A lot of times I picture foreign men as the lead characters b/c I like the exotic look. Not just nice but tropical or whatever the description calls for.

I like the tangible feelings Nalini Singh is able to evoke with her description of even the minor characters. Illium? Wouldn't you like to know more?

message 21: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments Does anybody think Elena will continue her role as a Hunter in the next book?

message 22: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I would hope so. That's literally what she was born to do.. because of her ability and all.

I would think she will be still hunting and just doing it with the help of the angels now since that is her now extended family.

Probably working both sides I would imagine because I don't think she would just abandon her best friend and the work she has done there.

message 23: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

She was already conflicted about what she can ad can't share with Sara about the archangels. So that would be interesting how that balances out.

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, it's kind of a conflict of interests. I would like to know more about the other characters. Love them.