Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Romance > Annie on My Mind - Garden, Nancy

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments For me, Beverly Cleary was the grande dame of YA romance when I was a kid.

But it is important to remember that romance is a primal theme in LGBT books. In this respect, Nancy Garden is seminal since this title was one of the first.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Hi Lydia,
I don't know if you're aware, but there is actually already a thread for this book, here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 3: by Lydia (last edited Sep 08, 2009 03:23PM) (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) | 596 comments Yes, I read the thread, Becky. I wanted to introduce the idea of the gay/lesbian theme in the romance genre. I was curious about what people looked at in this genre. There are several gay-themed (meaning male) which are truly romance as well. Do people they should be included as cross-genre?

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Generally Fiona likes to keep things simple and have one discussion thread per book. But if she doesn't care, then go for it. :)

Anyway, why shouldn't they be cross-genre? If they are romance they are romance, it doesn't matter to me what the configuration of the couple is. I'm not sure what you're getting at - that homosexual romance books aren't considered romance...?