Smashwords Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > Apple Pages

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Hello all. Does anyone here use Apple Pages to prepare Smashwords uploads? I recently bought a new MacBook and Pages comes free. I decided to give a try rather than buying a new version of Office and after a few weeks using it I now prefer it to Word. Pages can export documents to doc or docx format, but also directly to ebub. I was wondering what the best option was for Smashwords?

message 2: by Reese (new)

Reese Cantwell | 13 comments I've used Pages for some years, publishing over 400 erotica books on Smashwords. There are some important things to do that help.

Keep the font the same throughout. Limit the number of font sizes and generally keep them 18pts or less. Keep to one paragraph style and one spacing (I use 1.2 line spacing). In general, the simpler the better. Bookmark each chapter number and link it with your TOC.

I have found that once I get it to work through their 'Meatgrinder" software, to take a copy of the book and remove the chapter text, change the title to something generic like "Book Title" and make that into a template.

It may take a few tries but the people as SW are helpful.

Reese Cantwell

message 3: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Reese wrote: "I've used Pages for some years, publishing over 400 erotica books on Smashwords..."

Thanks Reese. Do you export the Pages document to *.doc, or do you upload ePubs? I trialled producing an ePub from Pages and it looks fine on my Kobo reader, but to date I've only ever submitted Word documents to Smashwords (my old Mac has MS-Office).

message 4: by Reese (new)

Reese Cantwell | 13 comments I upload .doc files which you can save from Pages. The default Word Export is .docx but there is an Advanced Option of .doc. I really recommend that you develop a template no matter which word processor you use unless each book will be very different from the rest. Reese C