Dresden Files discussion

Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
This topic is about Turn Coat
Harry’s Lineage

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matt | 10 comments Hi, I had a question about a journal McCoy mentions in Turn Coat.

(view spoiler)

Christian | 148 comments The journals are the private notes and thoughts of wizards. In this case it mentioned the memoirs of all the wizards that made up the chain between Merlin and Ebenezer McCoy and since ebenezers journal is mentioned as well, it completes the connection to Harry, since the apprentice inherits his teachers journals.

Matt | 10 comments Chris, thanks for the reply, so what you are saying is that Harry is related to the original Merlin? Confirmed through the lineage of the journals.

Christian | 148 comments Sorry you misunderstood me there, the journals go from master to apprentice, it’s not necessarily a blood relationship.
The journals only prove that Harry is in a line of apprentices that started from the Merlin.

message 5: by Alexis (last edited Sep 12, 2019 09:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexis | 21 comments Here's an interesting thought: (Spoiler assumes the person has read Cold Days) (view spoiler)

I think the fact that Harry is connected master-to-apprentice to Merlin is very significant in some way that we have yet to see. This is not the kind of detail that Butcher throws out on a whim.

There's also that moment in Skin Game (view spoiler) When you mix all of that in with Arthurian legend, where some versions of Merlin end up trapped in a crystal cave...well, that's just interesting.

Matt | 10 comments @Alexis, I completely agree!! I hope we see this expanded upon in the upcoming books.

Christian | 148 comments My personal pet theory is that the English speaking prisoner is not Merlin, but Arthur. Jim has been making way to much fuss about amorachious being Excalibur, for this not being important. Just imagine a wizard in the scholastic line of Merlin presenting him again with that sword.

Slick | 38 comments Christian wrote: "My personal pet theory is that the English speaking prisoner is not Merlin, but Arthur. Jim has been making way to much fuss about amorachious being Excalibur, for this not being important. Just im..."

I was thinking Mordred, but I quite like your idea too :)

Alexis | 21 comments Slick wrote: "Christian wrote: "My personal pet theory is that the English speaking prisoner is not Merlin, but Arthur. Jim has been making way to much fuss about amorachious being Excalibur, for this not being ..."

Next question then: Assuming that any of the above are true, how would that play into the overall story arcs that Butcher is gearing up? (view spoiler)
I heard a podcast where Butcher said he did have an overarching plot that he's got mapped out to wrap up the series (he's planning on 20-some books).

Christian | 148 comments Let me think, Butcher plans on capping the series with an apocalyptic trilogy.
He has introduced a dragon of which he hasn’t made use yet.
One of the specific functions of the warden is to decide about the release of prisoners.

Nope no idea how this could tie into the overall plot ;-).

message 11: by Monica, White Council (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monica T. Rodriguez (monicatrodriguez) | 374 comments Mod
Boy, is it time for a reread, since I only vaguely remembered some of these details (mostly about the journal). I like your theory about who's in Demonreach!

Christian | 148 comments The details on the journals are in turncoat. My thoughts on who is under demonreach is primarily, on who would be awesome, and as I said when I’m thinking Excalibur there are two names coming to mind and we already have a wizard to hand the sword over. Plus there is this beautiful legend of Avalon, island in the mist where Arthur rests till the hour of need. Butcher loves playing with those kind of concepts.

Wdmoor | 13 comments Monica wrote: "Boy, is it time for a reread, since I only vaguely remembered some of these details (mostly about the journal). I like your theory about who's in Demonreach!"

Lol...I know the feeling. I discovered the Dresden Files wiki is a quick way to get up to date. It's not perfect, Jim Butcher throws too many details into one book for any simple plot summary, but it will help you remember the basics of the book.

https://dresdenfiles.fandom.com/wiki/...

message 14: by Monica, White Council (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monica T. Rodriguez (monicatrodriguez) | 374 comments Mod
Thanks, Wdmoor, for the link. But I'm looking forward to my planned reread. I've been buying the audiobooks and will listen this time.

message 15: by Angie ~aka Reading Machine~, White Council (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ (wolffaerie17) | 288 comments Mod
Good thoughts about Mordred and Arthur on Demonreach.

Slick | 38 comments Angie ~aka Reading Machine~ wrote: "Good thoughts about Mordred and Arthur on Demonreach."

I thought it would be so poetic. :)