Book Club Books > MY FRIEND ANNA BY RACHEL DELOACHE WILLIAMS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mel (new)

Mel (gingergonzoreads) | 652 comments Mod
And go!

message 2: by AngiesWorld (new)

AngiesWorld | 15 comments I’m locked in! This book is good lol

Emma ( Mrsbreads )  | 13 comments Is anyone else struggling with this book why do we need to know about the authors time at uni ?

message 4: by AngiesWorld (new)

AngiesWorld | 15 comments Wow I blew thru this entire book today! I couldn’t stop listening, this book is GOOD in my opinion!

message 5: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments i blew through it too! it was so crazy to me how she just kept stalling and stalling!

message 6: by AngiesWorld (new)

AngiesWorld | 15 comments @vanessa yes!!! Man I woulda had to beat her a*** after the 1st week of her not giving me my money!!🤣🤣🤣joking, but it’s amazing how much patience that girl Rachel had with her. Sheesh she really put her through it!!

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (mrsjeune0518) | 54 comments I've been intrigued since the first few pages. I'm currently on chapter 8. this is such a quick read. I also love the author/narrator voice. This book is right up my alley. If all the true crime books going forward were more like this I'd be able to stay in the club.

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 44 comments On a smaller scale, I feel like I’ve had crappy friends who take things, act like they did nothing wrong, and still come to me for support or whatever. She tells the story in a relatable way and even though it’s not the most fast paced in enjoying it.

message 9: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Morgan | 19 comments I saw the book today in Books a Million but it's just way too expensive. Are there any sites that have it for cheaper??

message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (mrsjeune0518) | 54 comments have you checked Half Price Books and Thriftbooks?

message 11: by Micky (new)

Micky Peacock (mickyp) | 9 comments I struggled to stay interested to be honest. I feel the book could’ve been condensed massively.
Is that just me?

Ania🐰📚🍄🐛 | 81 comments Have not started yet. Purchased the audible version.
Don’t know what to think about it yet.
Haven’t started yet. Based on the description/storyline it seems boring to me but books have a way of surprising the reader.
Excited to see what we all think of it. I like the fact it’s a new release.

message 13: by AngiesWorld (new)

AngiesWorld | 15 comments Don’t worry ladies it’s a a good book! After you get through the authors back story it starts to get juicy once she meets Anna. I don’t know if I’m biased because it takes place where I live and where I’m from but I do think it’s interesting how it all went down!

Emma ( Mrsbreads )  | 13 comments I ended up d and f ing this it was just so slow I couldn’t get into it.

message 15: by RoeLynn (new)

RoeLynn | 1 comments Placed my hold today!!!!

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Martin | 20 comments I want to help someone out that is on a long waitlist for this book. I would love to send my copy to the first person who comments. 😊

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele Kinsey | 18 comments Suzanne I would love this book. I can’t find it anywhere my library doesn’t have it and I don’t have a Barnes and noble any where near me. I’m out by Camino ca

message 18: by Mel (new)

I’m completely addicted to this book. Holy shit.

message 19: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments ;)

message 20: by Melody Leigh (new)

Melody Leigh | 90 comments I’m confused. Where did the figure $60,000 come from as she put $30,000 on a card. Even with extras it doesn’t come to that amount. Was it the interest?

message 21: by Mel (new)

Melody Chapman wrote: "I’m confused. Where did the figure $60,000 come from as she put $30,000 on a card. Even with extras it doesn’t come to that amount. Was it the interest?"

$30K was from the vacation. The other $30K was from plane tickets & other vacation expenses that Anna borrowed from Rachel.

message 22: by Melody Leigh (new)

Melody Leigh | 90 comments Ahh ok. All the amounts kept getting confusing

message 23: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tammaro (dmt85) | 28 comments Am I seriously the only person who finds this book nerve racking and who is getting anxiety from Rachel's naivety towards the whole situation?!

message 24: by Cami (new)

Cami Castle | 8 comments Is this book true crime?

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Rice (stellamommy22) | 4 comments I thought this book was good. Not great, but good. It's very "NYC" young businessmen and women scene. I probably wouldn't have been interested in this book or have understood the culture if I didn't watch the show "Younger" on TV Land. I understand the young party scene in NYC and the need to socialize constantly. It was difficult to understand why Rachel would willingly leave Morocco with a charge like that on her card, but I can understand being naive in the midst of what you believe is a true friendship. I'm glad that after a long and difficult process that justice was served and Rachel was free of any debt, but I truly wonder in amazement of how she functioned and how she continued to work while under so much stress and anxiety due to the debt. I'm curious to find out if there will be an HBO series or a Netflix documentary or docuseries on this..

message 26: by Mel (new)

I’d definitely call it true crime. It’s about a con artist.

message 27: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 2 comments I’m liking the book. The first chapter stressed me out!

message 28: by Mel (new)

I enjoyed this a lot.

message 29: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Finally almost on transit from my library's holding list so I will give it a go next month.

message 30: by Melody Leigh (new)

Melody Leigh | 90 comments Hey guys. Found this article. Apparently Anna may not profit from her crimes
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.ny...

message 31: by Mel (new)

Melody, it’s 100% illegal to profit from your own crimes. They stated that in the book at the end.

message 32: by Melody Leigh (new)

Melody Leigh | 90 comments The book was released the day after this came out. I know they speculated but never said she wouldn’t possibly due to what state the money would be earned in. I imagine one would find loopholes in the law and this is trying to close them.

message 33: by Sadie (new)

Sadie | 1 comments This book was kind of a tug of war with me... it was hard to get into.. because I felt no need for all the history of her life the author gave in the beginning. It felt then and now kind of irrelevant to the story she was writing the book to tell.. in my opinion. The middle was captivating I couldn’t stop listening... Then in the end I kind of fell off interest as much and pushed through listening to the last few chapter or so... Honestly the end was probably my fault because I couldn’t stay off of the internet indulging more and more into this case and story that I already knew what happened... I liked the book, I loved the authors voice (this was my first audiobook!) I am glad I read it, just a slight tug of war throughout. 😊

message 34: by Mel (new)

I found this book super interesting and I was cheering Rachel on when she confronted Anna. Like when she followed her for the day it felt very Mafia. I was proud of her.

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele Kinsey | 18 comments Did anyone see the episode on the ID channel about this story?

message 36: by AngiesWorld (new)

AngiesWorld | 15 comments I was worried I was going to be the only one in love with the book 😩🤣🤣🤣 I enjoyed it so much. I wanted to beat up Anna for Rachel lol

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kuehl | 18 comments has the live chat been announced?

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kuehl | 18 comments I am almost done the book. I really like it. You can feel her frustration and stress. I got so stressed when Anna was giving her the run around!! I can't imagine that level of debt!

message 39: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkicraddock) | 42 comments When is the live chat for this book? I thought it was next weekend since peter is out of town but want to make sure.

message 40: by Mel (new)

The livestream is next Sunday, 10/6

message 41: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Rice (stellamommy22) | 4 comments What time is the live stream?

message 42: by Mel (new)

4PM EST

message 43: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kuehl | 18 comments So according to Peter’s video yesterday, it will be happening on Oct 13th? He didn’t mention the actual date so I just want to confirm :)

message 44: by Mel (new)

That is correct!

message 45: by Den (new)

Den | 23 comments Finished listening yesterday. It was a low start for me. Initially, I couldn't stand her voice, but I saw it changing throughout the book, which I find interesting. And that made me change my perspective on her.
I enjoyed the book in general, and definitely went the rabbit hole of searching Anna's IG and all that is available. Hope to make it to the live chat on Sunday :)

message 46: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 44 comments Den I looked for her IG too lol, I noticed the voice thing too. I thought maybe she just got more used to it and more comfortable as it went on?

message 47: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I mostly listened to the audio and thought she was a good narrator. Crazy case. Kinda hard for me to relate to so much money being thrown around. My debt is much less than hers and it stresses me out so I can't even imagine owing 62K! I just watched an interview where she said she gave her card because she was afraid of being unable to leave the country and I wish she'd said more on that in the book, though I can understand being pressured. I'm not sure I could cover more than a $100 charge for even my closest friend, though.

It was a little repetitive at times but I liked it. It was hovering around 3.5 stars but I ended up at a 3 because of the repetitiveness and the name dropping of celebrities was jarring. Will be an interesting movie, though I heard Lena Dunham is in charge of the HBO one on Rachel's end (Blech).

I was a little surprised to see what Anna actually looked like. She didn't fit the idea in my head at all.

message 48: by Den (new)

Den | 23 comments Kelly wrote: "Den I looked for her IG too lol, I noticed the voice thing too. I thought maybe she just got more used to it and more comfortable as it went on?"

Hi, Kelly.
Probably, I was thinking that her voice in the end was more of her true self, I don't know why

Cute dog by the way :)

message 49: by Mel (new)

J.N. wrote: "Will be an interesting movie, though I heard Lena Dunham is in charge of the HBO one on Rachel's end (Blech)."

Oh god. Barf.

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kuehl | 18 comments DANG!! For some reason I didn't think of this, but it's Canadian Thanksgiving this Sunday/Monday.. I won't be able to make it!

« previous 1