Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Autumn Goals 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm not trying to rush things, but with Summer 2009 rapidly drawing to a close, I thought I'd open this thread so we can begin to think of our Autumn Goals, then post them here.

message 2: by Holli (new)

Holli Hmmm.. Autumn goals. My one and only goal for this fall is to get moved into our house and get settled back into normal routine life. I want to have that all accomplished before winter so I can start some projects during the colder months.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Are there actually 'colder' months where you're settling in TX? (Not trying to make fun, I'm curious - my Nephew says where he, 45 miles west of Houston, it's hot & humid 9 months of the year).

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli Well, i don't really know firsthand since I've only been here the summer ones so far but if its anything like where I'm from in California (which so far it has been)its cooler in November-March. 50's and 60's for the highs. I'll let you know what happens!

Its only supposed to be 90 today which feels perfect to me. I love high 80's/low 90's.

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 119 comments Hmmm Autumn goals. Unclutter my house, find a new and better job, start working on my website and selling my tea stuff and start saving money for my future goal of having a tea room. :)

message 6: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) Autumn goals already? Yikes! I don't even think I was able to complete my summer goals. Well, I suppose - declutter my life, get a new job, start writing, read more and visit friends. I think those will do for now. Oh and of course complete all of the reading challenges I have joined (which I suppose falls under read more).

By the by, Holli it does get a bit chilly in TX. My cousins live in Baytown (which is about 30 minutes from Houston) and it snowed there last year.

Angie- I think opening a tea room is a lovely idea! I used to love to go to the church refectory where I lived in England and order a little pot of tea and a scone and just people watch.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I was afraid to write down summer goals so that I wouldn't have to look back now and see how much I didn't get done because summers just work that way at my house. But I think it's time to get it written down. So, for the fall my goals are:
1. Finish two reading challenges
2. Paint my son's room.
3. Clean off my desk and get it organized.
4. Finish organizing my basement.
5. Paint my kitchen.
6. Rearrange my daughter's room and paint some of her furniture.
7. Clean up my blog and google reader.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments First and foremost, my #1 priority is to be a good mommy to our little one who is due on 10/2.

After that, it's getting my body back. I've packed on more pounds than I'd hoped. I want to shed those and get back in shape.

I'm also going to start looking into ways to turn my Nutrituion & Wellness Consultant certification into a money-making venture.

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli fantastic goals everyone! very specific.... i like that. glad to hear you are doing well Katie with your pregnancy and font worry about those pounds.... you'll melt them right off i just know it! nadia i have heard there has been snow in Dallas before but that it melts in a day so thank god for that.... lol. i will let u know what the dallas winters are like for sure!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela Holland (bookaunt) My main goal is to get my scrapbooks done for Christmas. I just can't seem to stop reading so I can scrapbook. But maybe with the new job I will feel more like scrapping.

message 11: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Sep 02, 2009 09:49AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I want to take all this energy and inspiration I have once the weather begins to turn (which seems to have started this week, knock on wood!) and:
~Fine tune the spare room (which I started this Summer)
~Declutter our bedroom
~Keep writing every day
~Get walking again and get back on the stationery bike again
~Figure out the holiday gift situation (need to be extremely frugle this year w/Hubby being on unemployment & trying to recoop our savings)
~Go thru the basment and get books together to donate to the senior apt house around the corner again and give away thru my blog
~Prepare for my elderly sister-in-law's arrival 2 days after Thanksgiving (SO looking forward to having to go to an airport the Sat. right after Turkey Day)
~(this space left blank in case other goals come to mind, lol!)

message 12: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) I love reading about everyone's goals. We are all such productive women! Plus, it inspires me to add other goals to my own list. Can't wait for Autumn to hit FL!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nadia wrote: "I love reading about everyone's goals. We are all such productive women! Plus, it inspires me to add other goals to my own list. Can't wait for Autumn to hit FL!"

I know, Nadia--I'm looking at the other goals thinking I forgot to add write more and finish some other creative projects I started...

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's what these seasonal goal threads are all about; supporting and inspiring fellow Chicks!

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 119 comments Lisa wrote: "I was afraid to write down summer goals so that I wouldn't have to look back now and see how much I didn't get done because summers just work that way at my house. But I think it's time to get it w..."

I always loved tea and used to go to tearooms with my grandmother when I was a kid. Then I found out my great great aunt Marie owned a tea room in Brooklyn Heights in the 30's. Now my goal is to own my own shoppe one day. Just gotta figure out how to start.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Angie, that's a wonderful goal and such an interesting piece of family history you've got there! Exciting!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Angie, that's a wonderful goal and such an interesting piece of family history you've got there! Exciting!

I'd like to add to my list above:
~Finish researching gourd carving (mainly for birdhouses) and begin trying my hand at it.

message 18: by Jcwillis53 (new)

Jcwillis53 Brown (southerncomfortauthor) | 90 comments my goodness what a diverse group we are but have you noticed a common thread? we all include home in what we list! My husband is now among the employed which means I can do all of my declutter and it will stay that way for weeks at a time. Oh I forgot to mention his new job is driving an 18 wheeler for weeks at a time! Yep, gave up his career with computers and he is so excited that I'm excited for him.
Going to start writing my 3rd book and the middle of october already have a date with a recording studio to put my 2nd book on recording. My contract with my publisher allows me to keep all audio rights so I'm headed to the studio and doing the 2nd book first because I like it the best. Just did a guest spot on a radio talk show in Louisville, KY and am busy lining up more of those for the fall. Other than that and working my full 40 hour a week job and reading everything that I can and listening to books via recordings at work while I type, I may find a few extra hours to make a beautiful fall wreath for my front door. Not bad for a 60 year old , huh??

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Age is merely a number, not a state of mind and you're a prime example! Congrats & good luck w/everything!

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Everybody has such great goals! It makes me really look forward to autumn.

Some of mine are very simple, but they're all things that I've said in past autumns that I've wanted to do, but then by the time the snow started I hadn't.

~Get settled into the new apartment.
~Carve a pumpkin :o)
~Crochet a long, cozy scarf.
~Buy (and learn how to use) a sewing machine.
~Christmas shop.
~Get hot apple cider from Borders (it's soooo good!)
~Buy a long, red coat for the winter.
~Go to a big state park after the leaves have turned and take lots of pictures.

Mostly very simple little things, but all things that I think will help me get the most enjoyment out of the fall season!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Angie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I was afraid to write down summer goals so that I wouldn't have to look back now and see how much I didn't get done because summers just work that way at my house. But I think it's tim..."

Angie, that's so neat - I've never been to a tea room before! But I found out that there is a tea parlour on the same street as my new apartment, and I can't wait to check it out.
Best wishes as you try to start your own :o)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sarah, I Love your list! Knitting (instead of crocheting in my case) a scarf, carving pumpkins, going to the parks to see the turning foliage are on my Autumn to do list every year! (Along with other things I seem to do on auto-pilot starting right after Labor Day). Simple things really are the best and bring such pure enjoyment!

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon2020) Finish crocheting that afghan I set aside in the hot summer months

Take a trip downtown and take pics of the old churches and buildings and just see how it has changed since I was there last (about two years ago)

Do a fall clean of the house and yard

Read alot I have not been able to much this summer

Get back to going to the Y - this time take some of the dance exercise classes

Learn to sew - my sister gave me her old machine.

Maybe I'll finally do it but hand piece a laptop or wall quilt then learn to quilt it

An ambitious list for me that will no doubt run through winter

message 24: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Sep 08, 2009 02:07PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Forgot another item on my list: Pick up my online interior design course again, starting this week, officially as of Thursday.

Picked up a basic Singer sewing machine at Walmart over the weekend because hand sewing is just getting too difficult for me with the arthritis in my hands so now I can get to finishing the slip covers for the couch pillows and start ones for the cushions.

message 25: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments My goals are pretty random for Autumn. Since moving took up my whole summer and kept me away from COL and reading. =(

* Take the boys apple picking.
* The yearly pumpkin trip but this year I swear we are going to carve the pumpkins!!
* Plant some Mums and Asters.
* Get my husbands Martial Arts School started. YAY!
* Get started on my holiday shopping and the boys holiday craft gifts.
* Get my holiday cards started. (I never get them sent out because I always run out of time)
* Search for a new arts & crafts hobby.
*of course....READ!! I haven't read in over a month!!

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Kelly Jo wrote: "Angie - I love tea rooms, and if I lived close enough to you, I'd come visit you frequently! What a great place to read books, too.

Sarah - I'm also looking for a red coat for fall/winter. I bo..."

I just think a red coat would be so fun and festive for the winter! I'm still on the hunt for one I like.

And I'll add make Christmas cards and gift tags to me goals. I always wait and then I'm too busy and worn out to do it!

message 27: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments I just really want to make it through football season. This is my first time coaching cheerleaders at the high school where I teach. It's crazy!!! I am so busy.. I have to force myself to read at night, but I only get 10 pages in and then fall asleep. I am dying to find out what happens to Sookie next!

So, my goals:

1. Write more. I have a concept I want to explore.
2. Read at least 20 books.
3. Go to a Troy game. (my alma mater)
4. Get a boyfriend. (this is on-going)
5. Make it through football season.

message 28: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I have a lot of interests that I make hobbies of and I am terrible with the follow through (usually because I've already moved on to something else). My ONE goal for autumn is to find balance in my life and make time for everything: crafts, ukulele, reading, yoga, social things, my nerdy things, and whatever else comes along.

message 29: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Sep 11, 2009 10:41AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Mandy Sue, Mums & Asters are such a good choice! ;~) Awesome to have another NaNo Chick!

Good luck with coaching and your writing Carrie!

Justine, I wish you the best of luck with finding balance in your life! If you accomplish that, please share how you did it with us! I'm forever searching for balance myself!

Update: I've "finished" the spare room re-do! I say "finished" because I've done all I can do with what we have and for financial reasons at the moment. It's neat, spacious, can be used for creative purposes, exercises and the occasional guest. There's storage space, a small tv & dvd player and soon the 6 shelf bookcase from our bedroom will be moved in there too.

Once I find a gallon size "oops" paint at Home Depot with a great color, I'll pick it up and repaint the room. (In the paint dept, there are 5 gallon, gallon and quart sized "clearance" priced cans of custom paint colors they've taken back even though they're not supposed to to shut up a customer making a rukus - those of us who've worked there call it "oops" paint. I've never paid more than $5 for a gallon and $2 for a quart!)

I've begun setting up my sewing machine and supplies in there as well. Knitting supplies will soon follow. Eventually the computer may be moved in there, but we'll see.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Oops! I put my update here instead of in Summer Goals! lol

message 31: by AngieA (new)

AngieA (angelwings55) Jcwillis53 wrote: "my goodness what a diverse group we are but have you noticed a common thread? we all include home in what we list! My husband is now among the employed which means I can do all of my declutter and ..."

As a woman of 53, I find what you've done inspiring and helpful to know that goals can be achieved no matter what our age if we just keep believing! Thanks for sharing, JC!

message 32: by AngieA (new)

AngieA (angelwings55) Ok, this took a little thought. I haven't had written down, concrete goals for at least 3 years.

1. Increase my walking to 5 miles a day.
2. Finish 3 x-stitch projects that were previously abandoned.
3. Test several new recipes to give as holiday gifts.
4. Read 12 books, 4 non-fiction. (love the growing list!)
5. Take a Community Ed class thru parks and rec: which to choose, digi scrapbooking or ballet?
6. Finalize holiday gift lists and shopping.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Sounds like a great list Angie! Good luck with it!

Anytime anyone feels they need some help in getting thru their goals, let us know here and we'l turn on the Chick support!

message 34: by Holli (new)

Holli That's wonderful Jo..... Great idea that is..... This thread and the support factor to finish your goals!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Channeling a little Yoda there?! LOL Thanks Holli! It's all about Chick love & support!

message 36: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) Holli wrote: "Hmmm.. Autumn goals. My one and only goal for this fall is to get moved into our house and get settled back into normal routine life. I want to have that all accomplished before winter so I can s..."

My poor Holli baby. Did you finally move?

message 37: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) Angie wrote: "Hmmm Autumn goals. Unclutter my house, find a new and better job, start working on my website and selling my tea stuff and start saving money for my future goal of having a tea room. :)"

Tea stuff? Tea stuff? Oh please, do tell!

message 38: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) Katie wrote: "First and foremost, my #1 priority is to be a good mommy to our little one who is due on 10/2.

Happy Baby B-day. We Libra babies are just the best!

message 39: by Holli (new)

Holli I sure did Lydia! We close on the house on the 21st so we can get out of this corporate apt and into a house with our things again. Thank the Lord! LOL I think I owe you a letter so when i get settled in I'll send you one out. PM me though and tell me how you are.....

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker After some thought and contemplation, I have my list of goals. Since I'm in college, my life revolves around semesters and breaks, so I'm giving myself until December 11 to finish everything that doesn't have a date attached to it.

1. I want to finish reading Anna Karenina by 11:59pm on my 22nd birthday.

2. I want to have a very decent, nearly final draft of my thesis typed by the end of Thanksgiving Break, thus giving me 10 days to proof it and make minor changes.

3. I want to dance for an hour at least 4 days a week.

4. I want to take more pictures of people that have meant something to me in college because I find it almost ridiculous that these people who mean so much to me are people my parents don't even know.

5. I want to have my weekends be free for fun, which will mean doing a bit more work and a bit less slacking during the weekdays.

6. I want to go into class prepared for what we will discuss.

7. I want to journal more often, even if it's creatively through photographs and drawings, or poems and quotes that stick out to me. I want to write about the good days as well as the bad so that on the bad days, I can remember what it is that makes me feels good so I can go back to feeling good.

8. Speaking of which, I want to start drawing. I'm terrible at it, but one time I drew a daisy and it looked good and I felt great.

9. I want to read more of the classics because those really are the best kind of brain candy and I feel so gratified when I read them.

10. I want to avoid going through what I went through today, where I felt threatened by the conversation I was a part of, my shoulders drooped and I started gazing out the window and withdrawing. No one can make me feel inferior without my consent, but when it's 3 against 1 or even more than that against 1, it's so hard not to consent. I want to hold my head up high and look confident, even if I'm just faking it. I want my daughters to be able to see that you can be pretty and smart and respected, especially when you have to wrench that respect away from someone. Because goddammit! I am not some cheap piece of ass.

11. I want to stay on top of the reading with my RCIA class on Wednesday nights.

12. I want to start going to mass each week because it's good to go to church and I want to show my mom that I'm serious about joining the Catholic Church.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Glad you posted these Lori!

message 42: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte What a great thread you have going here. It sounds like everyone has great goals!
-I want to plan help my children get organized for school. I have two middle schoolers this year and a 4th grader and the homework and projects are overwhelming
-I want participate more in this group and not be such a "lurker"
-I want to have my Christmas shopping and/or ideas for everyone by Thanksgiving
-I want to start write, I just have to figure out what, when and how.
-I want to spend more time reading and less time watching TV

Thank you for this wonderful thread and for this great group!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Brigitte, when it comes to writing, just do it! Lol, I speak from experience here. If you try to figure out the what, when & how, you never actually write! Grab a notebook or some paper (or sit at the pc or grab your laptop) and start jotting down whatever comes to your mind and go from there. Best of luck with your goals and if you need any help along the way, let us know!

message 44: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments THESE ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 45: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Lori, I really like goal 10. It's tough in college, espcially when you're trying to convince the professor, too! Hehe, if I was in college now (compared to when I was shy Jennifer), they'd never get me to shut up. :) Start by faking it, pretty soon you start to believe yourself.

These are great lists, everyone. It's inspiring me to think about what I want to accomplish.

message 46: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Thank you Jennifer. That was my thought exactly: fake it until I believe it.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Happy first day of Autumn Chicks! Best of luck with your goals this season. Let us know how you're doing and if you need any Chick love to help you through.

message 48: by Lydia (new)

Lydia (loverofinformation) Yes, the first day of Autumn. I'm approaching my birthday this week, during which I tend to become kind of feisty. Although I have no job and nobody seems to want to offer me a job, I'm trying to keep my head up and keep on moving. So, I'm going to set just three goals:

1. To maintain and keep up on my weekly writing goals.
2. To do some exercise at least 3 days a week.
3. To maintain my letter-writing resolution from New Year's.

I hope all of you are doing well.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) An early Happy Birthday to you Lydia!

I know it's so difficult but keep your spirits up and keep at the job hunting & a wonderful opportunity is bound to show itself!

Thanks for joining us here & sharing your Autumn goals with us.

message 50: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (bagambo) Hiya Lydia! Happy Birthday to you!! Hope you have a fab day on your bday! I think you are so right on track with maintaining a positive attitude with regards to looking for jobs - I am sure one will be coming your way soon enough! And I love your autumn goals - especially #2, because that is what I have been trying to do these past few weeks and so far so good.
Cheers!!

« previous 1