I Read Comic Books discussion

Gideon Falls, Vol. 1: The Black Barn
This topic is about Gideon Falls, Vol. 1
BotM Discussions > September BotM - Gideon Falls Vol. 1: The Black Barn

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 595 comments Mod
What did you think of Gideon Falls, Vol. 1: The Black Barn? What did you think of Jeff Lemire's writing? How about Andrea Sorrentino's art? Do you think you'll keep reading this series beyond the first volume?

Reminder: This discussion thread is FULL SPOILERS for Gideon Falls Vol. 1! If you have read more in the series, please do not to share spoilers for anything that happens beyond this volume.

Jorge Williams | 12 comments I just finished reading it all in one sitting, I wasn't intending to but couldn't stop. I think this is one of the best new comics out there right now. I really like the art style with the panels going off all over the place depending on what point the story is at. The main protagonists aIso I think are fleshed out better than most comics. The story is great and I will definitely keep reading this as new issues come out, I'm actually annoyed I have to wait . . .I'm a fan now.

Chad | 653 comments This is excerpted from my review.

This is the slowest of slow burns. If visions of old barns scare you, this may be the book for you. Lemire borrows heavily from a TV show that used to be on SyFy, Haven, whether intentionally or not. Sorrentino's art is gritty and real, even as it gets more surreal and fantastical. It's very good.

I've read the first 2 trades. The series does pick up steam as it progresses, but it still is taking a long time to get anywhere.

OK TO AIR

message 4: by Kris (last edited Sep 05, 2019 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris Ritchie (kriswritchie) | 27 comments I love love love Lemire and Sorrentino and this series has been no exception. I agree it is very slow burn, but the atmosphere built by the art and juxtaposition of insanity and religion draw me in and keep me interested.

I am a GN-pushing librarian, and I have been able to get my normal readers hooked on this series as well. I'd say for fans of Snyder's/Jock's Wytches, Hill's Locke and Key, and similar.

this was from my review:

"In a field, alone on a dark night, an 8 year old kid enters The Black Barn and they are never seen again.

See, The Black Barn doesn't like to stay in one place. It likes to move, or better yet, it likes to follow. It will follow you. It will show you things. It will lead you down the path to madness."

message 5: by Lenny (new)

Lenny (lennylenlen) | 137 comments Just wanted to stop by to say that I'm not a fan of the horror genre so I'll be skipping this month. I'm usually a fan of Lemire but looking at the first issue preview and other reviews this isn't for me. hope everyone else enjoys and looking forward to our October discussion! :)

Kris Ritchie (kriswritchie) | 27 comments Lenny wrote: "Just wanted to stop by to say that I'm not a fan of the horror genre so I'll be skipping this month. I'm usually a fan of Lemire but looking at the first issue preview and other reviews this isn't ..."

While you are totally within your rights to skip, may I ask what doesn't interest you about the horror genre? As a fan of fantasy, I like that it sometimes takes those darker aspects of the genre but mixes it with real world gritty feelings at points.

message 7: by Lenny (last edited Sep 16, 2019 03:34PM) (new)

Lenny (lennylenlen) | 137 comments In short I was a wuss as a kid and I've never grown to enjoy the genre. :) I didn't come here to complain, honestly - I appreciate that the group is a democracy and it's definitely good timing with fall.

And if it's truly not that scary y'all let me know, maybe I'll give it a try!

Adam M (adamagain) | 38 comments The art work in this book felt reminiscent of Jock or maybe Alex Maleev and that totally worked for me. I had only heard that this was a "slow burn" story, which made me worry that the pace was just slow, but people were being polite.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that while this isn't fast paced, it does genuinely build in suspense and tension with silent panels and images stretching the narrative out. I enjoyed this book and it's not a usual type of graphic novel for me. I've only read a couple books in this vein before and I'm fully invested now. It was just weird enough in the right ways to bring me back for more.

-Ok to air-

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 2 comments I thought that both the storyline and the artwork were excellent. I'm frustrated that I have to wait until payday at the end of the month to get Volume 2! Happily there isn't much of a wait for Volume 3 to be released. I loved Locke and Key, and I read quite a bit of horror and weird fiction-- I really like slow, creeping horror, and so far the Gideon Falls series hits all the right notes with me.

message 10: by JT (new) - rated it 4 stars

JT (jtnerdreader) | 7 comments Jeff Lemire is my favorite writer and there is a reason for that. Every character he introduces in his books I care for, and Gideon Falls does just that as well. Andrea Sorrentino's art is perfectly made for this book. I loved how creative his page layouts were when he was telling the story. He came into this book with his A game. The mystery of the Black Barn and the paranoia that came with it was done right. I was intrigued the entire time. The cliff hanger served its purpose and now I need volume two just as much as Norton needs to find all the specimens.

-ok to air

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments The way I feel about this one is a bit confusing.

On one hand:
The artwork is wonderful. The expressions implied along with the stark contrast in each panel really works in this atmosphere. (I have to agree with whoever it was that compared this art-style to Jock-that's a great observation!)

I had to get to the end to find out what happened/is happening. A lot did and didn't happen and it was intriguing and a bit rankling.

On the other hand:
I didn't connect with either of the main protagonists. They both felt really distant and somewhat unlikable to me. I identified with the Sheriff the most and that was a bit of a stretch. I think this is why I couldn't fully commit to loving this story.

I thought this would be horror. This had a much more thriller/conspiracy-Hitchcock-type feel to me. I did feel like it would translate to a movie as horror, but being a huge fan of things like Welcome to Lovecraft and Wytches, Volume 1, it didn't hit that mark for me, so that was a little discouraging.

I blame this entirely on my own perspective, though, as opposed to anything lacking from the book itself. :) I completely read volume 2 directly after. See? Confusing.

-OK to air.

Angel Noir I loved it so much, I subscribed to every new issue. Then searched for the “director’s cut” for the trade. Then I got volume 2. LOVE IT!!! This story held my attention every single panel. Well, in fact, I felt withdrawals when I finished it. It has a similar eerie and disturbing feel like A Walk Through Hell. Hands down my favorite read since the Kill or Be Killed series.