I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (September 2019)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 594 comments Mod
For some, school is back in session, but we all read comic books! What are you reading this month? What's been your favorite comic or series? Any covers you love? Any books you don't want people to miss? Let us know!

Join the IRCB Discord for live episodes and real-time discussion!

And don't miss what the IRCB crew has been reading in our public Top of My Pile posts on our Patreon!!

message 2: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 199 comments My reading week:

-Dorohedoro, vol. 1 --very unique and very good
-Fushigi Yugi, vols. 9-13
-I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1, vol. 1 --totally recommended!

message 3: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments I'm currently reading Interesting Drug by Shaun Manning & Anna Wieszczyk and i'm going to start Flinch by Brian Azzarello soon (as well as his book Jonny Double cause it would get my Vertigo read count up to 60) I also wamt to read a book from Vault as well

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 264 comments These are End of August and Labor Day Weekend reads!

Livewire Volume 1: Fugitive - off of a recommendation by VGulla and Cinco on the discord.

Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Star Wars: Age of Republic - Heroes
Star Wars: Age of Republic - Villains - I love Jody Houser! she really captures the voices of these characters.

Moon Knight, Vol. 1: From the Dead
Moon Knight, Vol. 3: In the Night
Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic - So much MOON KNIGHT!!! I am late to the party but I am glad I am here now!

Avengers: No Road Home - This book was not as good for me as "No Surrender", but I really enjoyed it, I don't see much of the Olympian Gods in the Marvel Universe

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 264 comments Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World - the end of this book, I am sad, but glad to have found it

Injustice 2 Vol. 6 - another end to a series I have loved, but here we are.

message 6: by Lenny (new)

Lenny (lennylenlen) | 137 comments Daniel - enjoy the Moon Knight greatness!! I think Ellis and Shalvey is by far the best (wish they had another run or two) with Lemire and Smallwood as a close second. The writer who takes over Lemire is pretty awful (to me at least) so I wouldn't suggest venturing past his and Smallwood's conclusion.

My books in the last week or so have been -
Blackbird, Vol. 1 - very pretty, weak 'magic girl' story
Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter - Jessica/Emma Frost teamup is fun but everything else is pretty meh
Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker - imaginative and fantastic role playing high fantasy story
Fence, Vol. 3 - a series that possibly got worse because it got famous.

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 199 comments My reading week:

-Battle Royale, vol. 12

-Citrus, vol. 2 -this is pure smut and I'm not into it so I'm not sure if I will continue.

-Fushigi Yugi, vols. 14-18 FINALLY done this series. It was very meh and the MC was whiny.

-Hajime no Ippo, vol. 34

-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Part 1, vol. 2

-Magical Girl Apocalyse, vols. 1 & 2

I have so many singles to read this week, including finishing Wic-Div! Need to stop procrastinating and get to them.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 264 comments Lenny wrote: "Daniel - enjoy the Moon Knight greatness!! I think Ellis and Shalvey is by far the best (wish they had another run or two) with Lemire and Smallwood as a close second. The writer who takes over Lem..."

So far so good! I took a break after Lemire's Vol. 1 my brain hurt

message 9: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited Sep 11, 2019 05:18AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments Hello all!

I'm hoping to read Gideon Falls, Vol. 1 The Black Barn by Jeff Lemire at some point this month, so I can join the discussion. :) I love a good horror comic.

I'm also smack-dab in the middle of a bunch of series, so I kind of just reach over to my "haven't read" shelf and pick what I'm in the mood for as I go.

Right now I need to finish up the Geoff Johns' Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) run, which I was really enjoying, but then they uploaded the concurrent Green Lantern Corps series to DC Universe (which I completely throw money at), and then I had to go catch up, so I'm kind of in the middle of both of those...somewhere!

I've got these Runaways The Complete Collection, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan Runaways The Complete Collection, Vol. 4 by Terry Moore to finish up the Runways run.

I'm also a couple volumes behind on my two favorite series, Saga and the Lumberjanes. I really just can't bring myself to read them because I don't want to have no more to read (does that make sense?!?)

message 10: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Holly wrote: "Right now I need to finish up the Geoff Johns' Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) run, which I was really enjoying, but then they uploaded the concurrent Green Lantern Corps series to DC Universe (which I completely throw money at), and then I had to go catch up, so I'm kind of in the middle of both of those...somewhere!"

How do you like DC Universe? I've been contemplating joining for awhile. It finally looks like they have a good number of comics (in line with what's available on Marvel Unlimited.)

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 264 comments I don't normally post my floppy read but there was some really good stuff this week.

Batman #78
Powers of X #4
King Thor #1
Supreme Leader Snoke One-Shot

Lastly and most importantly They Called Us Enemy - May be the most important thing I have read all year. I cannot recommend this book enough.

message 12: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited Sep 12, 2019 12:41PM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments Chad wrote: "How do you like DC Universe? I've been contemplating joining for awhile. It finally looks like they have a good number of comics (in line with what's available on Marvel Unlimited.)"

I lean more towards DC than Marvel, but I'm not one of those "you-can-only-like-one-publisher" people. With that in mind, I adore DC Universe. Their self-produced shows are absolutely stellar and the comic selection is finally up to par (as you mentioned).

I want to say the majority of their comic catalog is available except the very, very new stuff. :)

message 13: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Holly wrote: "I lean more towards DC than Marvel, but I'm not one of those "you-can-only-like-one-publisher" people. With that in mind, I adore DC Universe. Their self-produced shows are absolutely stellar and the comic selection is finally up to par (as you mentioned).

I want to say the majority of their comic catalog is available except the very, very new stuff. :) "

Thanks for the info Holly! I read comics from both Marvel and DC as well. A good comic is a good comic no matter who publishes it. How is the app for reading comics on a tablet?

Now I just need to explain to the wife why we need to spend more money every month for my comics. Maybe I can sell her on the TV shows. We watch all the CW ones.

message 14: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments Chad wrote: "Now I just need to explain to the wife why we need to spend more money every month for my comics. Maybe I can sell her on the TV shows. We watch all the CW ones."

Haha! I get that! The app is great. There are several different modes you can choose to read in (panel-to-panel is my personal favorite). I'll be honest; I use my TV to read them more than my tablet. I'm not sure how it compares to Marvel Unlimited, though?

Imagine they could give the shows on CW more creative room, inject some amazing comic writers ::cough, Geoff Johns, cough:: and turn everything rated R for violence and language.

My husband loves it; especially the older shows we can throw on while we're crafting. They have Batman: Brave & the Bold and all the Bruce Timm animated stuff as well as Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman and the old Shazam! show.

I sound like a freaking salesperson right now, don't I? What's Marvel Unlimited like?

message 15: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Holly wrote: "I sound like a freaking salesperson right now, don't I?"

You should hear me when I get on my soapbox about how great Valiant comics are. You'd think I work there.

Holly wrote: "What's Marvel Unlimited like?"

Marvel Unlimited is just comics, but a lot of comics, over 15,000. New comics show up about 8 months after publication. It sounds like it's a similar experience to DC's app, except you can't use the TV.

message 16: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 168 comments My in-real-life book club read the Manga Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki. Me and some others decided to watch the film instead. The story is the same in both, but while the film has masterpiece-level animation, the book has ordinary artwork. It isn't as wild and crazy as some Japanese animation. It is a more simple story of a single mother raising some children who just happen to be able to turn into wolves.

I also read Shade, the Changing Girl Vol. 2: Little Runaway. The story is a bit confusing, but it doesn't matter. It is fun and the art is great and 'trippy'.

message 17: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 168 comments I also read Beasts of Burden: Wise Dogs and Eldritch Men. A good choice for the Halloween season. Talking dogs vs. eldritch horrors. This is darker and bloodier than the earlier volume, which you do not need to read first. This also has art by Ben/Benjamin Dewey, who you might know from The Tragedy Series: Secret Lobster Claws and Other Misfortunes, or The Autumnlands, Vol. 1: Tooth and Claw. He is an expert at drawing animals that really look like animals and yet also express emotions.

message 18: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments I'm currently reading Flinch, Book One and its fairly intriguing. I also started Tag by Keith Giffen yesterday. My future comic reads will probably he Chew Vol 10 (i really want to finish this series), and catching up/finishing Birthright, Manifest Destiny, and 100 Bullets

message 19: by Glenn (new)

Glenn (bluefirephoeniix) | 1 comments Well at the moment I am re-reading my TinTin comics. It was already 12 years ago that I had read them. Although I am not through the 25 volumes yet, there is something that strikes me enormously. as a child you experience the comics completely differently than as adults, you pay attention to other things ... you laugh with other jokes or you discover jokes that you did not understand as a child. In any case, I enjoy re-reading them and have a few more to go to keep me sweet in September.
Something of a totally different catagory are the comics of the wolking dead ... until now I had read everything up to volume 28. and now that volume 32 has recently come out, which is also the last in the series, it feels time to finish read the series to the end.

message 20: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments Chad wrote: "Holly wrote: "I sound like a freaking salesperson right now, don't I?"

You should hear me when I get on my soapbox about how great Valiant comics are. You'd think I work there.

Holly wrote: "What..."

Well, at least I'm not alone!

message 21: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments Ed wrote: "I also read Beasts of Burden: Wise Dogs and Eldritch Men. A good choice for the Halloween season. Talking dogs vs. eldritch horrors. This is darker and bloodier than the earlier vol..."

I'm seeing a lot of wolf/dog books right there (okay, two...but still). Are you particularly drawn to animal/dog stories or is it just coincidence?

message 22: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments Devon wrote: "I'm currently reading Flinch, Book One and its fairly intriguing. I also started Tag by Keith Giffen yesterday. My future comic reads will probably he Chew Vol 10 (i really want to finish this seri..."

I just picked up the first volume of Chew without knowing the premise, but I haven't tried it out yet-I just see it on a ton of "read-this" lists. The art makes it look pulp/noir style. Is it worth getting into?

message 23: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Holly wrote: "I just picked up the first volume of Chew without knowing the premise, but I haven't tried it out yet-I just see it on a ton of "read-this" lists. The art makes it look pulp/noir style. Is it worth getting into?"

Chew is very good, but it's not really pulp. It's a bit goofy with quirky art but highly enjoyable.

message 24: by Adam (new)

Adam M (adamagain) | 38 comments Holly wrote: "I just picked up the first volume of Chew without knowing the premise, but I haven't tried it out yet-I just see it on a ton of "read-this" lists. The art makes it look pulp/noir style. Is it worth getting into?"

I really enjoyed the series. It's funny and weird and colorful in every sense of the word. John Layman constructed a really odd little world, but for me Rob Guillory's art really makes it stand out. Not so much pulp, but still a cop story. Silly, for sure, and worth it.

message 25: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 168 comments Holly wrote: "Are you particularly drawn to animal/dog stories or is it just coincidence? ..."

Just coincidence. One book was chosen by the book club leader. The other I picked myself because I like Benjamin Dewey's art. I was in a store in a small town that had recently had inventory damaged by a fire next door. I wanted to buy something to support them, and Dewey's art caught my eye.

I do read a fair number of books with animal-headed characters, but that just seems to be something that artists do in lots of non-superhero comics.

Some people have such extreme reactions to dogs. In another group we are reading a novel in which there is tons and tons of violence. People are tortured and killed. Two lions are killed. One guy sets himself on fire. But for some people the only upsetting thing in the book is that some dogs also were killed.

The leader of my comic book group loves dark, gory horror books with blood all over the place. Yet she stopped reading The Weatherman, Vol. 1 after one issue because a dog was killed. This is in a book with the premise that a terrorist has killed every living thing on Earth, but it is the one dog that upset her. (The thing that bothered me in that book was the torture/revenge scene. Those are two things I cannot abide. It is still a great book.)

message 26: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments @Chad and Adam, thanks for the feedback on Chew, Vol. 1 Taster's Choice by John Layman ! I'm looking forward to it now instead of just being curious. :)

message 27: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments Ed wrote: "Just coincidence. One book was chosen by the book club leader. The other I picked myself because I like Benjamin Dewey's art."

How interesting. I'm a dog-mom (don't judge) and I have three and honestly, violence towards children and dogs would hit me much harder than anything else, too, probably...

I love horror-comics, but I'm not so much for the splatter category. I like Hitchcock-type horror where it's a mind-twist instead of in-your-face-torture type stuff. I think if it can be used to enhance the story it's okay, but if it's just there for the shock value, I can go without it.

I do think it's really interesting, especially when it comes to comics, how differently people can react to the same story or artwork. Whether you love something and can't understand why others wouldn't or it's disgust where others react like "Eh, it's fine. That didn't bother me at all."

message 28: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 264 comments Black Order: The Warmasters of Thanos - I really enjoyed this, I always want more of the Black Order.
Daredevil: Back in Black, Volume 8: The Death of Daredevil - I love Charles Soule run, I am very content with the conclusion.
Man Without Fear: The Death Of Daredevil - I read this as the connect between Soule's and Zdarsky's run. Very good contained story.
Heathen: Volume 2 - I am in love with this book and the art. I know this moving forward Natasha is only writing and the art will be done by a new artist.
Typhoid Fever - Read this because it was on Unlimited. I am glad I didn't buy it as it came out.
Gideon Falls, Vol. 1: The Black Barn - Read this for BOTM, will leave my full thought on the thread. Overall, two thumbs up.
Tokyo Ghoul, tome 1 - Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 1
東京喰種トーキョーグール 2 Tokyo Guru 2 Tokyo Ghoul Vol. 2 - Read this after Kait recommended it on the podcast. Definitely hooked.

message 29: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 199 comments My week:

-Battle Royale, vols. 13-15
-Citrus, vol. 2
-Hajime no Ippo, vols. 35-39

message 30: by Mason (new)

Mason | 1 comments Xmen

House of X and Powers of X. What an amazing fresh start to the Xmen!

message 31: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments I'm gonna finish Chew Vol. 10 today and i'm reading Finals by Will Pfeifer & Jill Thompson on ComiXology. I'm also going to start Tag: Cursed today

message 32: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mason wrote: "Xmen

House of X and Powers of X. What an amazing fresh start to the Xmen!"

HOX POX! YESSSSS

message 33: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Devon wrote: "I'm gonna finish Chew Vol. 10 today and i'm reading Finals by Will Pfeifer & Jill Thompson on ComiXology. I'm also going to start Tag: Cursed today"

AGH! I need to finish Chew. I want to do a full re-read of the series before I read Volume 12...

message 34: by Chad (new)

Chad | 653 comments Mike wrote: "AGH! I need to finish Chew. I want to do a full re-read of the series before I read Volume 12... "

Same here.

message 35: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 168 comments I need a break from heavy stuff, so I'm reading Garfield!

message 36: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (devonmm) | 114 comments Mike wrote: "Devon wrote: "I'm gonna finish Chew Vol. 10 today and i'm reading Finals by Will Pfeifer & Jill Thompson on ComiXology. I'm also going to start Tag: Cursed today"

AGH! I need to finish Chew. I wan..."

Maybe you could do a binge-reread-a-thon

message 37: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Ed wrote: "I need a break from heavy stuff, so I'm reading Garfield!"

Oh snap! Are you reading collections?

message 38: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Devon wrote: "Mike wrote: "Devon wrote: "I'm gonna finish Chew Vol. 10 today and i'm reading Finals by Will Pfeifer & Jill Thompson on ComiXology. I'm also going to start Tag: Cursed today"

AGH! I need to finis..."

That's definitely the plan!

message 39: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

I'm currently reading through West Coast Avengers by Kelly Thompson and Stefano Caselli. Pretty solid run so far (I'm 4 issues in)!

message 40: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 199 comments My Reading Week:

-Hajime no Ippo, vols. 40-46
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Part 1, vol. 3

message 41: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited Sep 24, 2019 01:40AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) | 39 comments This week:

Heathen Vol. 1 (Heathen, #1) by Natasha Alterici -I wanted to jump in last month, but it got too busy toward the end. I left my thoughts on the discussion thread. :)

Sex Criminals Volume One One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction -I appreciated the insanely unique concept even if the artwork wasn't my favorite. Well done.

Chew, Vol. 1 Taster's Choice by John Layman -I wish I'd read this sooner. What a lovely little find. No wonder it blew up. I love the exaggerated art style and the everyman characters. I'll be reading more of these; thanks to those who encouraged it!

message 42: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 264 comments Holly wrote: "This week:

Heathen Vol. 1 (Heathen, #1) by Natasha Alterici-I wanted to jump in last month, but it got too busy toward the end. I left my thoughts on the discussion thread. :)

[bookcover:Sex Criminals: Volume..."

I also read Sex Criminals and will definitely continue reading

message 43: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 264 comments 後遺症ラジオ 1 Kouishou Radio 1 - this book is a NIGHTMARE and i want to read MORE!
Justice League, Volume 4: The Sixth Dimension - Catching up on this!! and WOW!
Sex Criminals: Volume One: One Weird Trick - Fraction and Zdarsky!!! ohhh YES
Gideon Falls, Vol. 2: Original Sins - This book and the mystery continues to unravel and I am fully in.

message 44: by Lenny (new)

Lenny (lennylenlen) | 137 comments Mike wrote: "I'm currently reading through West Coast Avengers by Kelly Thompson and Stefano Caselli. Pretty solid run so far (I'm 4 issues in)!"

I loved this run. Seeing Kate as a leader and Clint as her mentor felt like a really natural progression from Kate's solo series, and I loved how they picked up characters with cancelled runs, but they fit as a quirky team. I'm so sad they cancelled it after two volumes. Enjoy!!

I haven't been able to read as many comics this week, just too busy. But I finally sat down and finished the second volume of Black Magick via the hardcover and it was just amazing. Perfect for fall and Nicola Scott and Chiara Arena's art is stunning.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.