Play Book Tag discussion

The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #1)
This topic is about The Shadow of the Wind
August 2019: 21st Century > Shadow of the Wind/Carlos Ruiz Zafon/5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie Zaccaria | 211 comments Barcelona, 1945. Just after the war, a great world city lies in shadow, nursing its wounds, and a boy named Daniel awakes on his eleventh birthday to find that he can no longer remember his mother’s face. To console his only child, Daniel’s widowed father, an antiquarian book dealer, initiates him into the secret of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a library tended by Barcelona’s guild of rare-book dealers as a repository for books forgotten by the world, waiting for someone who will care about them again. Daniel’s father coaxes him to choose a volume from the spiraling labyrinth of shelves, one that, it is said, will have a special meaning for him. And Daniel so loves the novel he selects, 'The Shadow of the Wind', by one Julian Carax, that he sets out to find the rest of Carax’s work. To his shock, he discovers that someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book this author has written. In fact, he may have the last one in existence. Before Daniel knows it his seemingly innocent quest has opened a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets, an epic story of murder, magic, madness and doomed love. And before long he realizes that if he doesn’t find out the truth about Julian Carax, he and those closest to him will suffer horribly.

An amazing story of love, adventure, books, and war with hints of gothic and all playing out on the gorgeously-described streets of Barcelona. A must-read for literature fans.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8535 comments This book is in my top ten for life! I am now 60% through the fourth (fifth) installment... Labyrinth of the Spirits.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Jamie wrote: "Barcelona, 1945. Just after the war, a great world city lies in shadow, nursing its wounds, and a boy named Daniel awakes on his eleventh birthday to find that he can no longer remember his mother’..."

I hope you continue with this series because all of the books are needed to complete the story. Even you don't like one (I didn't like Angel's game) they all fit together like a puzzle.

message 4: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3812 comments Need to read before going to Barcelona!!

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 480 comments I loved this book when I read it 10 years or so ago. Thanks for the reminder of it. Didn't realize it has sequels.