New Canadian Library and other Canadian Lit Challenge discussion

NCL Challenge > Best of the 4 years

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey (last edited Sep 01, 2019 06:14PM) (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 237 comments Mod
The four year challenge to read at least 12 books by Canadian authors each year will end at the end of 2019. I will keep the group open for any one wanting to look at the reviews and comments made on the books. Also if anyone wants to complete the challenge themselves.

For those who have completed the challenge please post below by the end of 2019:

1. What did you gain by doing this challenge?
2. What are your 10 favourite books read over the 4 years?
3. Any final thoughts on Canadian authors, especially on their place in representing the country on the international stage?
4. Do you think there is a Canadian author that you think the 2018 or 19 Nobel Prize should be awarded to and why?
5. Are there any books you read that you did not include in this challenge that you would recommend?

message 2: by Tracey (last edited Sep 01, 2019 06:47PM) (new)

Work in progress...

1. Apart from reading some excellent literature the thing I gained the most was a deeper understanding of Canadian history and its peoples. Not being Canadian born I started this group for this very reason. It was/ is important to me that I became integrated into the culture and be a very active participant in the continued success of Canada and its peoples. Reading the words of others with a much longer association with Canada than myself, as well as those who like me chose this country for their home, has aided me greatly in this desire, and given me a deeper love for the country and its peoples. It is a nation of intelligent, deep thinkers with hearts overflowing with concern for the general well being of humanity and a desire to ensure the same rights for all, regardless of colour, creed, religion or any other label that is used to divide us. It is also a nation of nature and animal lovers, and peace lovers with the heart and souls of poets.

Over the four years, I tried to read across many genres and country of birth of the author, as well as publishing eras; from 1864 up to 2019.

2. My favourite 10 read over the 4 years, in no particular order.

Deafening by Frances Itani

The Tin Flute by Gabrielle Roy

Glengarry School Days: A Story of Early Days in Glengarry by Ralph Connor

Last of the Curlews by Fred Bodsworth

The Mountain and the Valley by Ernest Buckler

The Girls by Lori Lansens

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

As Birds Bring Forth the Sun and Other Stories by Alistair MacLeod

The In-Between World of Vikram Lall by M.G. Vassanji

Settlers of the Marsh by Frederick Philip Grove

message 3: by Rosemarie (last edited Sep 21, 2019 11:05PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments I have always been interested in Canadian literature and have Canadian books all of my adult reading life. I enjoyed reading other members' comments about the books we were reading and was glad to find that share my favourites books, which I reread for the challenge.

Top Ten List: the first two books really are my top favourites, but the rest are in no particular order:

Tie for first:
Deafening by Frances Itani
Glengarry School Days: A Story of Early Days in Glengarry by Ralph Connor

3. Grain by Robert J.C. Stead
4. The Prophet's Camel Bell by Margaret Laurence
5. The Betrayal by Henry Kreisel
6. Swiss Sonata by Gwethalyn Graham
7. Some Great Thing by Lawrence Hill
8. This Year In Jerusalem by Mordecai Richler
9. In the Village of Viger by Duncan Campbell Scott
10. Book of Mercy by Leonard Cohen

message 4: by Tracey (new)

I am grateful Rosemarie that you introduced me to so much Canadian literature. There is a rich heritage here and I am far more knowledgeable than when we started.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 195 comments I am glad you enjoyed them, Tracey.