2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Group Reads > The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Mar 29, 2020 11:05AM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10420 comments Mod
We will begin the series in October and read a book every other month.

About the Series
The Wheel of Time is a series of high fantasy novels written by American author James Oliver Rigney Jr., under his pen name of Robert Jordan. Originally planned as a six-book series, The Wheel of Time spanned fourteen volumes, in addition to a prequel novel and two companion books. Jordan began writing the first volume, The Eye of the World, in 1984, and it was published in January 1990.

Jordan died in 2007 while working on what was planned to be the twelfth and final volume in the series. He prepared extensive notes so another author could complete the book according to his wishes. Fellow fantasy author and long-time Wheel of Time fan Brandon Sanderson was brought in to complete the final book, but during the writing process, it was decided that the book would be far too large to be published in one volume and would instead be published as three volumes: The Gathering Storm (2009), Towers of Midnight (2010), and A Memory of Light (2013).

The series draws on numerous elements of both European and Asian mythology, most notably the cyclical nature of time found in Buddhism and Hinduism, the metaphysical concepts of balance and duality, and a respect for nature found in Taoism. Additionally, its creation story has similarities to Christianity's "Creator" (Light) and Shai'tan, "The Dark One" (Shaitan is an Arabic word that, in Islamic contexts, is used as a name for the Devil). It was also partly inspired by Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace (1869).

The Wheel of Time is notable for its length, detailed imaginary world, well-developed magic system, and large cast of characters. The eighth through fourteenth books each reached number one on the New York Times Best Seller list. After its completion, the series was nominated for a Hugo Award. According to Jordan's French publisher, as of 2017, the series has sold over 80 million copies worldwide, and it is one of the best selling epic fantasy series since The Lord of the Rings. Its popularity has spawned an eponymous video game, roleplaying game, and soundtrack album. On April 20, 2017, it was announced that Sony Pictures will adapt the series for television, and on October 2, 2018, Amazon ordered the series with Sony as a co-producer.

About the Author
Robert Jordan was born in 1948 in Charleston, South Carolina. He taught himself to read when he was four with the incidental aid of a twelve-years-older brother, and was tackling Mark Twain and Jules Verne by five. He was a graduate of The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina, with a degree in physics. He served two tours in Vietnam with the U.S. Army; among his decorations are the Distinguished Flying Cross with bronze oak leaf cluster, the Bronze Star with "V" and bronze oak leaf cluster, and two Vietnamese Gallantry Crosses with palm. A history buff, he also wrote dance and theater criticism and enjoyed the outdoor sports of hunting, fishing, and sailing, and the indoor sports of poker, chess, pool, and pipe collecting. Robert Jordan began writing in 1977 and went on to write The Wheel of Time®, one of the most important and best selling series in the history of fantasy publishing with over 14 million copies sold in North America, and countless more sold abroad. Robert Jordan died on September 16, 2007, after a courageous battle with the rare blood disease amyloidosis.

Reading Schedule
1. The Eye of the World (October) Book Discussion
2. The Great Hunt (December) Book Discussion
3. The Dragon Reborn (February 2020) Book Discussion
4. The Shadow Rising (April 2020) Book Discussion
5. The Fires of Heaven (June 2020)
6. Lord of Chaos (August 2020)
7. A Crown of Swords (October 2020)
8. The Path of Daggers (December 2020)
9. Winter's Heart (February 2021)
10. Crossroads of Twilight (April 2021)
0. New Spring (June 2021)
.1The Strike at Shayol Ghul: Online Link (August 2021)
11. Knife of Dreams (September 2021)
12. The Gathering Storm (November 2021)
13. Towers of Midnight (January 2022)
14. A Memory of Light (March 2022)

New Spring (The Wheel of Time, #0) by Robert Jordan The Strike at Shayol Ghul (The Wheel of Time, #0.1) by Robert Jordan The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4) by Robert Jordan The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5) by Robert Jordan Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6) by Robert Jordan A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7) by Robert Jordan The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8) by Robert Jordan Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9) by Robert Jordan Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10) by Robert Jordan Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11) by Robert Jordan The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, #12) by Robert Jordan Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13) by Robert Jordan A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14) by Robert Jordan

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Who’s planning to participate in this series read?

A few questions those reading need address...

1. It was suggested during the voting process that the books in this series be read every other month due to the length. Need to know if this is the will of the group before I plot out a reading schedule.

2. There are two prequel books written later in the series but placed at the beginning. Should these be including in the reading schedule and, if so, is the beginning appropriate?

3. Unfortunately, I cannot commit to reading this series. I’m more than happy to support the set up of the discussions but need someone to volunteer to give me topics. I’m really sorry but I’m already underwater and know this one is beyond me😬 Begging your understanding.

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 600 comments I'm afraid that I cannot participate in this series reading. Too many books, not enough time. Sorry...

message 4: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1027 comments I didn't vote for the series, because I already read books 0 to 8.
Not sure if I want to do a reread of these books, but I do want to read 9 -14 with the group. I'm going to think about if I want to reread the others.

2. I haven't read 0.1, but the questions for both books seem to give the answer that it is best to read them in publication order.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks, Lieke.

message 6: by ~ Giulia ~ (last edited Sep 02, 2019 04:10AM) (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments I have a complicated love-hate relationship with this series. In the past I've read books 1-9 and I don't have time for a reread. But I can join you for books 10-14 :)

Since I'll only join halfway through, I'll leave all talk about schedule to the people who voted for this series.

message 7: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) I have read the whole series, except for The Strike at Shayol Ghul, so I can't speak to that one.

I would LOVE to reread the series again, and YES I totally agree it should be every other month. Totally won't hold it against you, Jonetta. It's a huge commitment. Also, those who don't want to reread the books they've already done, I totally get that, too.

For those who have NEVER read the series, a word of warning. Not meant to discourage you, but meant to give you realistic expectations. Books 1-3 are great, some of the middle books are really slow (most WOT fanatics dislike Elayne's heavy political storyline - I think books 6, 7, 8?), and books 12-14 you won't want to put down (when Sanderson takes over - the story literally zooms).

Again, just my opinion, not wanting to scare people off, but if you go in thinking every book is absolutely amazing, you might get discouraged when you hit a lull.

As far as New Spring - I read it last, simply because I didn't know if I was going to read it at all. I would recommend NOT reading it first. In my opinion, it takes away the mystery behind a super major character that is more interesting to develop naturally and then go back and gain insight, versus getting small spoilers/character development before you truly understand that character. (This argument could really be made for 1 or 2 other main characters as well). I don't think it will ruin your reading experience if we do decide to read it first.

Many opinions online agree that New Spring should be read after book 10, because in book 10, you meet a character late in the series that you would have already met in New Spring. Again, I don't think it'll ruin your reading experience; it just may skew how you view certain characters. But if no one else feels that way, I'm happy to read it first.

As for discussion topics, I could maybe help with that, but if someone else feels more comfortable taking the lead, go for it!

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Thank you so much Jessika! I appreciate your perspective above as if I were considering this series, I’d find that feedback immensely helpful. And I am thankful for your understanding.

I will continue handling the administrative aspects for the series. All you'd need do is PM the questions to me.

message 9: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 5 comments I have always wanted to read this series so I plan to join in for this one.

I like the every other month schedule.

For the discussion questions, do we need to read ahead of the group?

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks, Logan! No, you don’t need to read ahead, just at the same pace.

message 11: by Bryce (new)

Bryce (brycereads) | 9 comments will join in for book two onwards. every two months sounds like a good idea due to book length and the sheer amount that happens in each book. think prequels go after book 10 so they make more sense

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4015 comments Mod
I'm afraid that I won't be reading this series either as it just isn't my cup of tea. That said, my brother read and loved it, so I hope those who do read it have a blast.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) I would agree with Jessika about not reading New Spring first. It will spoil the first book. Also, everything else she said was spot on about the series overall. :)

I have read the series, and read the first few books several times as new ones were released. It's definitely too much to do one book per month. I'd build in some time to give people a break. Not to discourage you all - even with its flaws, it's one of my favorite fantasy series.

message 14: by Jonetta (new)

Thank you, Bryce and Allison!

Completely understand, Lauren. While I’d like to read this series, the timing is bad for me.

message 15: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Allison wrote: "Not to discourage you all - even with its flaws, it's one of my favorite fantasy series."

Yes, exactly!!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2115 comments I’m going to pass on this one and who ever joins in enjoy!

message 17: by Sharmon (new)

Sharmon (tpgirl) | 250 comments I didn't vote in this one because I knew I couldn't start a new series but I am keeping this on my Radar.

message 18: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 525 comments I do have the first book on my kindle so I may join in at least with that one one
but honestly I'm hesitant to purposely start another new series especially one with huge books. The length off them alone is staggering. Big books intimidate me. It's one off the reasons I never read beyond Outlander. Lol

message 19: by Jonetta (last edited Sep 04, 2019 02:42PM) (new)

FYI, casting news regarding Sony & Amazon’s development of this as a series for Prime Video!

https://deadline.com/2019/09/the-whee...

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1630 comments I'm up for giving this series a go. It's been on my "to read" list forever, it seems. And I'll just be coming off of another big book fantasy series group read. the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, so the timing will be good to start another one. The every other month schedule sounds totally doable. I love big books! There's nothing I like better than curling up with a big tome. :-)

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Looks like we’ve enough people participating so thanks everyone who responded. Here’s what I captured...

1. The reading schedule will begin in October (next month), allowing two month intervals for each book. That means the first book will be discussed in December and then the next book begins in that month.

2. The two prequels should be read after book #10, Crossroads of Twilight. The second prequel is an online read (~7 pages) and I’ll include the link above and when the threads are posted. The interval for this scheduled read will be one month since the first is less than 450 pages.

3. Jessika has tentatively agreed to develop the discussion topics, any way she sees fit! I’ll set them up in our discussion group #2. If anyone would like to collaborate with her, please let her know!! Big thank you for volunteering to do this, Jessika🥰

I will wait for your affirmation before I proceed further to ensure I’ve captured everything correctly.

message 22: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Everything looks good to me, Jonetta!

The hard part will be limiting what we discuss - there's just so much that happens!!!

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

That’s purely in the hands of the crafter, Jessika! Sometimes I edit myself, others I go a little nutty. But, those who have read this series seem to be rather passionate about is so you cannot go wrong.

message 24: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 5 comments Sounds great!! I should be able to help with discussion as well.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

That's wonderful, Logan! I'll let you and Jessika collaborate and get out of the middle:)

message 26: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments I said to myself if Wheel of Time wins this I will join the readalong. I was scared for a second as I was like I can't read a book a month from that series, so I'm glad you decided on a book every other month. I have the first one 'Eye of the World' down on audible, as I've been recommended the audios for this series.

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

That’s perfect, Anita!

message 28: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

message 29: by Tammy (last edited Sep 22, 2019 11:30PM) (new)

Tammy | 44 comments I absolutely love this series (I am definitely a fantasy fan) and its been awhile since I have been involved. I am currently on book 6 but would love to jump in whenever you get to where I am. The Strike at Shayol Ghul can be read anytime- it is basically a short story from the time of legends with a little background about the Dark One. I just reread books 1-5 as well as New Spring. I liked knowing the characters before I read New Spring because it gave some great background information. I agree with reading it after you have read a few books first.

I definitely recommend the audiobooks! I read the first part of the series about 15 years ago and picked up the audiobooks this time around to help reread and they are fantastic! There are 2 narrators, a husband and wife team that read together. If a chapter that is from a male lead character's point of view occurs, Micheal Kramer reads it and if the chapter is from a female lead character's point of view then Kate Reading reads it. It really works out great! Highly recommend!

message 30: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks for weighing in, Tammy!

message 31: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 525 comments My library has the entire series on e audio. The first book has a long wait but I requested it and we'll see how it goes. The audio is 30 hours long! 30 hours is soooo long...I could use a road trip or something. My work commute is only 15 to 20 minutes each way. I might have to do chores or work out to finish it in the 14 days my library allows electronic check outs.

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Is anyone else planning to join Jessika in reading this series? She’s diligently creating discussion questions but appears to be going solo.

Help!

message 33: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) I have no problem moving this to a buddy read if not many people are interested.

message 34: by Jonetta (new)

Let’s see if there’s anyone else who will weigh in.

message 35: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1027 comments I did read book 2, I haven’t looked at the questions. But I found answering the questions for book 1 hard because they are rereads for me and I don’t want to put a spoiler in my answer.

message 36: by Bryce (new)

Bryce (brycereads) | 9 comments still interested but not sure where the group read is up to book wise. kind of havent read much last two months and had already read book one pre challeenge

message 37: by Jonetta (new)

Bryce, see the reading schedule in the first message above.

Book #2 began in December and was scheduled to finish the end of this month. #3 is scheduled to start in February.

message 38: by Bryce (new)

Bryce (brycereads) | 9 comments may try and catch up next month since only on book 2 at the moment. can probably get to book 3 by end of feb

message 39: by Jonetta (new)

Thank you so much for responding, Bryce! Much appreciated.

I’ll go ahead and set up the third book now. It was planned to cover February & March.

message 40: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 44 comments I am currently on book 8 (or book 9 if you count New Spring first) and I don't want to accidentally spoil anything so I haven't been on the discussions for the first couple of books. However, if anyone wants to discuss, I will be more than happy to. :)

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

Unfortunately, we’re discontinuing this group read because of lack of participation. We are four books in and no one is joining the group discussions despite Jessika’s hard work.

We will revisit the genre in a separate thread.