flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > simply september

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments September is already glowing with leaves ready to fall.
I intend to keep up my outdoor reading for as long as I can.
Does anyone else feel the shift, and does that manifest in your reading choices?
Is that it for summer reads?

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments I went to the pool yesterday and I could certainly feel a September shift! I'm planning on settling in on some longer reads (and really focusing on Demons). The summer is so tempting; it's hard for me to really concentrate on longer works.

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments The evenings are cooler.
I'm getting ready to clean up the garden for winter. My new knitting project is ready to be started and I'm looking forward to more carving time.
Ellie, longer books are a comfort on the colder, darker days. I'm looking forward to sitting by the window, looking out, while reading and drinking tea. This will be our first winters in retirement to do this. It'll be a change for both of us.
Hubby retired last December, then got called back to help the company last February. It looks like the work is winding down and the new guy is trained enough that hubby may soon be able to retire again.

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Sep 02, 2019 05:18PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Longer books! Prolonging the summer as long as I can! Lucky to find again the wonderful Boy Swallows Universe by Trent Dalton which I returned to the library unread at the beginning of the summer; couldn't renew because of a hold. I didn't want to race through it and I'm glad, it's perfect for now.

Ellie I adored Demons and when you are in the right space you will power through.

Petra and Ellie, I am heartily happy that you are now enjoying your retirements. It must feel a bit strange for both of you not to be reporting for work after summer vacation. Cheers

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else as to how you are coping and what you are reading to get you through

message 5: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 733 comments I have added a photo of reqqa point, rainbow and all into the Group's photo folder.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Hello!
I've been a bit MIA lately. I've been busy organzing our life because my son started French Immersion Kindergarten last week. He seems to be enjoying it, so I'm happy the transition went pretty smoothly.

I just finished reading A Mind Spread Out on the Ground and really enjoyed how it challenged me to think about different issues.
I just started reading Mrs. Poe this morning and I'm hooked already.
I'm slowly picking my way through The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina: Separating the Myth from the Medicine, which I won from the publisher. There has been a TON of press surrounding this book launch, it's incredible and honestly says a lot about our society when we as women don't know the basics of our anatomy.

I have The Secret Wisdom of Nature: Trees, Animals, and the Extraordinary Balance of All Living Things ― Stories from Science and Observation waiting for me as well.

The air is cooler, the mornings are dark, the leaves has started changing colour here, I'd say fall is here.

message 7: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments Kindergarten! That's such a big move. I'm glad his transition is going well.

It would be nice if all schools in English Canada were French Immersion and all schools in French Canada were English Immersion. Somehow I think that would help remove some of the tensions between the two in regards to Language & Culture.
Maybe not but it's worth a try and, at the very least, we'll be a true bi-lingual country within a generation or two. LOL.

Ice, that's an impressive photo. Thank you!

Magdelanye, how was the music concert?

Today is the first meeting of my carving group. Honestly, I don't know what to expect. Instruction? Carve on our own? A class project?
To be prepared, I started a snowman carving that I can chip away at, if need be. I'm hoping that this guy will keep his top hat. I've carved 3 small snowmen and none have a top hat.....I keep breaking the brim off and having to adapt the hat.

I'm almost finished readingThe Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed. What an interesting story! I live in BC and do not remember this story from 1997-98. I really should remember such a big story at the time. The book is really interesting, going beyond the tree into logging practices, Coastal history, the tree & it's genetics, the person who chopped the tree down & the mystery surrounding him and more.
I'm half through Light in August. Like all of Faulkner's stories, I'm really enjoying it. This is the easiest to follow and understand that I've read.
I also started a graphic novel, Will Eisner's New York: Life in the Big City as well for something lighter. So far, it's an interesting collection of vignettes. I prefer a story, rather than small glimpses, but these glimpses are interesting.

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments what a great idea Petra! And Megan, c'est tres bonne que tu tre at the festival and just got home nowouve un ecole por ton fils. C'est invaluable por la vie

I had a stupendous at the festival...look it up Koksilah i hope spelled right. Did i say i just got home? I will add that i feel pleasantly fried and my phone keeps skipping around.
Btw I ended up loving Moments....

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments Megan i m not sure i could handle the vagina book. I did read the monologues
But the other book sounds promising.

Petra I loved the golden spruce as well as Tiger. How did the carving class go?

message 10: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments It's great to hear that you had a stupendous time, Magdelanye. I looked at some images of the Festival (I don't know if the pics are from this year). It looks like an energetic and fun time. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to go.

The carving class was a blast. At first I thought I was too inexperienced. The 3 students in the class before I arrived all had cottonwood bark pieces and were carving (1) a town, (2) a long thin piece with a fantasy house at the bottom & a lighthouse at the top and (3) a face of a wizard. They were talking about using electrical tools like a Dremel to help with the carving. That sort of thing is totally out of my carving experience. I have 4 little knives and a block of wood. LOL.
However, it turns out that everyone is at different levels and these 3 were the most experienced of the group. There was another beginner as well, so we stuck together.
Another carver was very helpful and made sure the two of us felt at home.
The instructor seems really nice. He spent time with us (the beginners) to explain knife sharpening, wood grain and gave us a small project to work on. It's a little bird to hold in the hand called a Comfort bird. It's called that because it has been found that many Alzheimer patients are calmed when holding one in the hand.
I think I'm going to like this group.

Magdelanye, I finished The Golden Spruce today and really enjoyed it. I also liked Tiger. Have you read Eating Dirt?

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments thanks Petra. It was energetic and super fun but also there was a deep spiritual component (native and pagan mostly) Some of the headliners have videos on YouTube. PiqSiq are there! I have a picture with them!

Im so glad you are enjoying the woodcarving class Petra.
I have a carving i treasure, bought in the 70s i believe (maybe a bit earlier) its not much more than a foot tall, quite rough unpainted totem pole. Very few of my things are not in storage but this is above my bed
Im keen to read Eating dirt. i actually own a copy but its in storage.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments @Petra your carving class sounds amazing! Glad you're enjoying it.

My son got to go to the school library yesterday so he was very excited. I'm so happy he loves books! I've been reading to him since he was born so I'm glad it's paying off.

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra | 771 comments It's great to hear of kids reading and loving it. I remember my trips to the library when I was young. It was a magical place.
Megan, what books is your son enjoying now?

Second carving class last night. I'm really enjoying it. The people are very nice and I'm learning a lot. My bird is finished and I'm close to finishing a pumpkin.
The instructor says that next week he will bring in some cottonwood bark and show us how to carve a house with steps leading to it and some rocks. Gulp! That's going to be a challenge but if he thinks we (my fellow beginner & I) can do it, we probably can.

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments He got out a book about star wars villains. OMG. We read it to him with some sections left out because I don't want to discourage him, but it was not age appropriate. Meanwhile, he has like 50 books at home. My favourite of his is a book teaching you to count to 10 in Cree. We All Count: A Book of Cree Numbers. So now he can count in English, French and Cree. What a completely different upbringing than I had!

message 15: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments wow Megan thats impressive. I looked it up, the Cree counting book. id like to know how to count in Cree! It looks like the author has written a few other books worth checking out.

If you can carve a bird Petra you have a new carreer ahead! What about those wooden roses? With your dedication im sure you could have an interesting booth at xmas fairs

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments It seems I no longer get notifications from this group. I apologize for my absences!

Petra, your carving class sounds wonderful. I'm so glad you're enjoying it. I think wood is a particularly beautiful material. Please post pictures of some of your work!

Megan, it's wonderful that your son likes to read. And it's amazing the kind of literature and cultural opportunities children have today!

Magdelanye, I like Eisner's work a lot. I obviously have to check out his work about New York. The Golden Spruce sounds interesting as well.

I'm reading another Simenon (for pure pleasure) as well as Do Not Say We Have Nothing which is, so far, a very interesting novel set against the Chinese cultural revolution and the reign of Mao. I'm also reading a very funny book from the 50s, an American girl in Paris (always an enjoyable theme for me), The Dud Avocado. I have too many books out from the library, as usual.

message 17: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments I need to investigate this lack of notification issue that plagues us all I believe. I do get some notifications in gmail but not all by a long shot. I've taken to scrolling through the list and usually there will be an alert to new comments.

That promised, I'm always glad to hear from you Ellie( I love our meta[communication lately), although to be honest, I am always delighted to see comments from all our members and take into consideration that folks are busy, and this is not a group with activities and prizes.

This week I am wondering especially about Ice where are you now? And MaryAnne who we haven't heard from in a while.
Glad to notice Natasha seems to be on a good roll with her reading but it seems Shannon might be away.

And Petra, you must be very busy with all your projects. Quite possibly by now you and it seems like Ellie might be wondering how you had the time to go to work. Ellie, I think you were referring to Petras reading in your last comment. I did love the Golden Spruce and highly endorse, bit I had to look up Will Eisner who might be more of an imperative for Ellie. And hey, I might have been the one to recommend Do not say we have Nothing to everyone back when I read it. Glad you are enjoying Ellie.

I think especially of Megan but also Allison with her kids while reading [book:Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other|8694125] by [author:Sherry Turkle|153503 Well Ellie your kids are older but also deeply impacted by the tech world. This is a fascinating but scary investigation of the impact of technology on the way we navigate our lives.

message 18: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2217 comments I know what you mean Ellie about too many library books!
Right now I am reading more non fiction than fiction and even most of the fiction is documentary. Reading Valerie: or, The Faculty of Dreams by Sara Stridsberg after On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous The image of the detached wing in Ocean Vuongs text emerges taking flight in the cover image of Valerie Valerie or, The Faculty of Dreams by Sara Stridsberg

But then last night, I picked up Idaho by Emily Ruskovich byEmily Ruskovich which was a big splash out of left field prizewinner. After 50 + pages I decided I hated it and it wasn't the writing exactly but the plot and the people. Anyone have experience with this book.

I'm not too thrilled about the other fiction I put aside for the two books I mentioned. A Year at River Mountain by Michael Kenyon by Michael Kenyon is the kind of zen fiction that I usually can get into. There is just enough there to keep me picking it up. Somewhere in there I finished off Skylight Confessions by Alice Hoffman byAlice Hoffman did not knock my sox off like the last, and actually almost ruined by trying to listen to it on CD. Much better reading. Now I've picked up Hazards of Time Travel by Joyce Carol Oates by, of all people Joyce Carol Oates who was my secret love while at university.

I will list my non fiction next time I post. I'm pretty sure it will be the same 4 or 5 that I'm slowly working my way through chapter by chapter.

The rain has stopped! Hope it brightens and not returns to dripping wet while I attempt to finish a review I've been working on for days, for Measures of Astonishment Poets on Poetry by Glen Sorestad . I tell myself Im foolish for taking such time with it for only a handful of interested GR but what can I say but thats where my juice is right now

message 19: by Petra (last edited Sep 25, 2019 04:25PM) (new)

Petra | 771 comments I love seeing posts here.

Magdelanye, I am keeping busy enough but have lots of time to relax as well. It's a nice life.
I've only pre-planned Mondays & Tuesdays. On Mondays I have the carving class in the evening and on Tuesday I have Tai-Chi class in the morning and evening.

I just finished reading Light in August and really enjoyed it. It didn't knock The Sound and the Fury off it's pedestal but it had some wicked writing in it.

I'm about to start To the Lighthouse and On Trails: An Exploration.
My audio book for jogging is the latest (and final?) Flavia de Luce story, The Golden Tresses of the Dead. If this is the last of the series, I'm going to miss Flavia.

Last night in carving class we started to learn how to carve on cottonwood bark. It's a different concept altogether than wood block carving.
I recall that Michelangelo said that he had to study and inspect each piece of marble until the stone told him what it contained within, then he knew what to carve. Cottonwood bark carving is like that: study the piece of wood to see what can be brought out of it.

Now that summer is over, I hope some other members pop back in here.

message 20: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments Did I say? I finally finished Demons and you were right Magdelanye: I loved it. Now I want to read it again!

Today I read Tell Me How It Ends: An Essay in Forty Questions. Did you say you'd read it Magdelanye? I have a strange feeling someone here read it. Anyway, it was terrific. Very painful: about the children refugee crisis in the States. She worked as a translator for the children up in New York. It's so appalling.

Couldn't go out (waiting for the refrigerator repairman who never showed: so so annoying. Didn't even call). But I read a book, lifted waits, practiced the guitar, and worked on my essay. I'm so type A!

I miss Mary Anne. It has been a while.

Petra, Light in August was my first Faulkner and I loved it. But Sound and Fury was even better. Of course, I kind of hate the locale it's set in and the point of the decadence of the family is not lost on me but hard to take.

Also, I love hearing about your class. It seems so romantic to me.

I'm also reading Red at the Boneby Jacqueline Woodson, an author I'm very fond of. So far it's excellent.

September is so much lovelier without work! Now I'm really starting to feel like I've retired.

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments Lovely to hear from everyone! You all are leading such interesting lives. :)

I've been busy at work and living family life.
Right now I'm reading Love and Ruin, about Marty and Hemingway. What is it about this man that is so fascinating? I admit to falling under the Hemingway spell.

I'm also taking a free course at the U of A about Indigenous Canada. I'm learning a lot doing this course and I'm really glad I'm taking it.
It's open to anyone here's the link:
https://www.coursera.org/learn/indige...

Also, non-book related but falling in line with my passion for Indigenous literature. ATPN just put out the second season of First Contact. This season was incredible and I highly suggest watching it to learn more about Indigenous peoples in Canada.

Happy Friday everyone, I hope you all have a lovely weekend!

message 22: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1207 comments Good hearing from you, Megan. I don't like Hemingway's writing so much, except for a few pieces, but I do like reading about his life.

The course sounds interesting. I wish we got the show First Contact here in the States (do you know if we do? I couldn't find it).

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 224 comments They have it on the APTN website, so maybe you can watch it in the US? There might be international copyright stuff going on.

https://aptn.ca/firstcontact/