Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > September Purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne So last month, it was really fun for me to keep track of which books I bought throughout the month, and where I was buying them from. So, I thought that I'd start a discussion thread on here where everyone can list all of the books that they buy in September. Just start a new post and then keep updating it as you buy more!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Thanks Kelley Anne ! I started the Sept 'bought' shelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

I'll start my own thread but wanted to say thanks to u!

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1863 comments Mod
My first purchase of September bought on the first of September: National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, Fifth Edition

message 5: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. I've ordered 4 through the mail that are on there way and I'm picking up one from the book shop on Friday that was ordered in also, I will add them as they arrive.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I bought a couple today on ebay. Darkest Night, Darkest Kiss,Pleasure Unbound, Passion Unleashed, and Rogue(read already but didnt own).

message 7: by Kaz. (last edited Sep 13, 2009 06:10PM) (new)

Kaz. 1. Demon Mistress by Yasmine Galenorn.
2.Brother Odd by Dean Koontz.
3.Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell.
4.Blood Promise by Richelle Mead.
5.Riding Wild by Jaci Burton.
6.Riding Temptation by " ".
7.Riding on Instinct by " ".

message 8: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Just got back from utilizing my Borders 40% off coupon and got JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood Insider's Guide!!:):)

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments me too! me too!

Insider's guide with my coupon.

message 10: by Michelle (last edited Sep 06, 2009 07:56AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments I've bought books 2-5 of J. Carey's Kushiel series as well as books 2-4 of Barb Hendee's Noble Dead series, Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk, and Christine Warren's Wolf at the Door, Heart of the Wolf by Terry Spear, and Demon Angel by Meljean Brook; all from the used bookstore. I can't help but indulge when they're only $1 or $2, and pretty good condition. Then, I went to Borders and used my 40% off to get In the Blood by Adrian Phoenix. While there, I also bought C.E. Murphy's Urban Shaman book 1.

message 11: by Joseph (last edited Sep 06, 2009 09:18AM) (new)

I did pretty good this weekend.
I used the 40% off coupon from Borders and my dad did too to get me Chicken Soup for the Horse Lover's Soul II Tales of Passion, Achievement and Devotion and Chicken Soup for the Baseball Fan's Soul Inspirational Stories of Baseball, Big-League Dreams and the Game of Life
My Amazon order of Guardians of Being arrived and so did my Book Depository order of Living with the Dead that I got for 50% off so I can return my previous purchase of it to Borders.

All I have left on my book shopping list for this month and the rest of the year is my Amazon order of The Lost Symbol so no more succumbing to Borders's coupons for me! I'm going to get on the wagon and stay on, no matter what! Right? :-)

Joseph-Daniel Peter Paul Abondius (bookaholic203) I just finished two books I bought last week The Third Secret and The Templar Legacy by Steven Berry.They were terrific.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I bought some more books on ebay:o)

Breath of Fire by Tammy Kane
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Chosen (House of Night series) by PC Cast
Evernight by Claudia Gray
Heart of the Dragon by Gena Showalter

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh I almost forgot I also bought Twins by Mary Ellen Mark and Migrations Humanity in Transition by Sebastiao Salgado. Two photo books I have been wanting to add to my collection:o)

message 15: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Well I'm up to 4 so far this month! Just utilized another Borders coupon and got:
Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez
Mona Lisa Awakening (Monère, Book 1) by Sunny
Divine By Mistake by P.C. Cast

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Shazzy wrote: "Back to my favourite charity shop and I bought Stray, Rogue andPride by Rachel Vincent for £1 each! "

I just bought this series the other day too. Stray was at the used bookstore, the others I had to get from Books-a-Million. I can't wait to start this series; I've been hearing really good things in the PNR group.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments I have still only bought one book yay for me. im staying on the wagon but it sure is a bumpy ride.

message 18: by Joseph (last edited Sep 13, 2009 01:25PM) (new)

Lauren wrote: "I have still only bought one book yay for me. im staying on the wagon but it sure is a bumpy ride."

Tell me about it Lauren, cuz I just fell off the wagon. I just finished reading a fun new book
Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy and decided I wanted to read the next in the series, so I checked the online catalog and found that my local library had both #2 and #3. I drove to the library and was able to check them both out, but I couldn't leave without walking past the Used Books For Sale displays. They sucked me! I ended up spending the last $11 I had in my wallet on:
L is for Lawless
Crocodile on the Sandbank
He Shall Thunder in the Sky
Murder In The Chateau
The White House Pantry Murder/an Eleanor Roosevelt Mystery
Cold Service

That makes 11 new books so far this month. I know I should feel bad about not just walking past the used books, but it just feels so good to add to my collection! Almost makes me feel giddy. lol

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments yeah i failed too although i only bought one. one of the j. Frost books how bad is i can't remember the name and im too lazy to get up and go look.

i know what you mean by giddy, it's like christmas day every time i get a new book. besides used books need a home too.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments ok i got up and looked at the book and itDestined for an Early Grave well that's not book 1. I guess that's what i get for going shopping with out my notebook with all my series in order.

message 21: by Joseph (new)

Lauren wrote: "ok i got up and looked at the book and itDestined for an Early Grave well that's not book 1. I guess that's what i get for going shopping with out my notebook with all my series in ..."

Don't feel bad, I've done worse. Before and even since I started carrying around a list of all my books on my PDA I've bought duplicate copies of used books I already have. Even did it just yesterday. Oh well, at least that mispent extra money went to the public library.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments this book buying stuff is hard work. haha aww that sucks you bought the same book, but your at least it went to the library

message 23: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (kismet1228) | 18 comments Just bought The Outlandish Companion, The Witch's Trinity, & Speak. Can't wait to read these. Sooooo many books, so little time.

message 24: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (kismet1228) | 18 comments Susan wrote: "Just got back from utilizing my Borders 40% off coupon and got JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood Insider's Guide!!:):)"

Where is everyone getting these 40% off Border coupons? I'd love to have one, I am going there next weekend!

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Dorsi wrote: "Susan wrote: "Just got back from utilizing my Borders 40% off coupon and got JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood Insider's Guide!!:):)"

Where is everyone getting these 40% off Border coupons? I'd ..."

Dorsi, if you aren't getting them through the email due to being a Borders Member, which you can be for free, just sign up in store or online, check out www.wow-coupons.com . It's a site that tends to have all sorts of great coupons that are provided here and there online from stores like Borders and Barnes and Noble.

message 26: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (kismet1228) | 18 comments Joseph wrote: "Dorsi wrote: "Susan wrote: "Just got back from utilizing my Borders 40% off coupon and got JR Wards Black Dagger Brotherhood Insider's Guide!!:):)"

Where is everyone getting these 40% off Border..."

Awesome! Thank you so much for letting me know. This will help support my habit.

message 27: by Joseph (new)

Awesome! Thank you so much for letting me know. This will help support my habit.
..."

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. lol. But your welcome anyway. :-)

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments the borders coupon club just keeps growning lol

message 29: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo I got Lover Avenged at Books A Million for $1 because it didn't have a dust jacket. That has made my whole day, is that sad?

message 30: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (kismet1228) | 18 comments Joseph wrote: "Awesome! Thank you so much for letting me know. This will help support my habit.
..."

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. lol. But your welcome anyway. :-)

Good for my bookshelves, good for me, bad for my bank account! :-)

message 31: by Lilia (new)

Lilia (oldgeekwoman) We just got an Amazon 50 dollar gift certificate by redeeming some hotel points, so I ordered Victory of Eagles, Sweetheart, The Undead Kama Sutra, Jailbait Zombie, Portrait of a Marriage Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson and 201 Dutch Verbs Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses.

I was a very happy woman indeed ^_^

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Looloo wrote: "I got Lover Avenged at Books A Million for $1 because it didn't have a dust jacket. That has made my whole day, is that sad?"

I didn't know Books A Million did that! I'll have to go there more often.

message 33: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Michelle wrote: "Looloo wrote: "I got Lover Avenged at Books A Million for $1 because it didn't have a dust jacket. That has made my whole day, is that sad?"

I didn't know Books A Million did that! I'll hav..."

Michelle - it's a big sale they are having right now. They have boxes in the middle of the isles that say "all books $3, or $5..." We found a box in the back that said $1 and it was all hardcovers missing dust jackets. They had several copies of Lover Avenged. I think this is a limited time special.

message 34: by Michelle (last edited Sep 17, 2009 05:11AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Looloo wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Looloo wrote: "I got Lover Avenged at Books A Million for $1 because it didn't have a dust jacket. That has made my whole day, is that sad?"

I didn't know Books A Million did t..."

I'll be going to a BAM here in Nashville today, to see if they're doing the same thing. I could hardly sleep last night just thinking about it. When it comes to books, I'm a sick individual, lol. I'm up to 33 so far this month. Two from Borders, and the rest from the local used bookstore. They were all in my TBR pile, and really cheap. Looloo, do you have a McKay's in your area? It's the main place where I've been buying books lately.

message 35: by Joseph (last edited Sep 17, 2009 05:28AM) (new)

I added another 4 from the used book shelf at my library to my current 11 new books I've bought so far. I love sea stories and sea info and just couldn't pass up on grabbing these when I saw them:
Pirates! Brigands, Buccaneers, and Privateers in Fact, Fiction, and Legend
Shipwrecks An Encyclopedia of the World's Worst Disasters at Sea
The Custom of the Sea
In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex

message 36: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (kismet1228) | 18 comments It's my birthday Saturday & I have birthday money!! Guess what I am going to do with it. That's right...I am going to Barnes & Noble, Borders, & Star Books! Woooohoooo! I will be a happy girl!

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments oh my
well happy early birthday. sounds like you are gonna have a great time at the book stores

message 38: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Michelle - we have McKay's but they charge too much for popular books. I was shocked to see them charging $6.50 for very used Sookie Stackhouse paperbacks. They seem to only give a little percentage off for urban fantasy books. I've been able to find some good deals on paranormal romances though.

We have a Mr.K's which used to be part of McKay's until they broke off about 10 years ago. They are a little better in pricing. I wish we'd get Half Price Books around here.

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Looloo wrote: "Michelle - we have McKay's but they charge too much for popular books. I was shocked to see them charging $6.50 for very used Sookie Stackhouse paperbacks. They seem to only give a little percent..."

$6.50 is way to much to pay for any 'very used' book unless its something rare or hard to find, especially a paperback. I went there during my lunch break as well as BAM. Luckily, there about 2 miles apart. I wanted to get a few of the BDB books, and neither had the books I needed. BAM had a limited selection of books on sale today too :( It's just as well, I've really over done this month.

message 40: by Joseph (last edited Sep 17, 2009 04:07PM) (new)

$6.50 is way to much to pay for any 'very used' book unless its something rare or hard to find, especially a paperback. ..."

I agree. I don't like to spend more than $2 for a used hardcover or $1 for a used paperback unless it's a hard-to-find. If it's a hard-to-find, my usual limit to pay is half the cover price.

message 41: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments Sept. 17 - I have not purchsed a book yet this month. Out of money, trying to read up on all previous purchases and borrowed books. But ther are many books out there I want to read. I think I need to live inside Borders or Barnes@Noble.
Think anybody will notice?

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 106 comments i have only bought 2 this month
and will soon by 3 on the 29th

message 43: by Schnaucl (new)

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Salem's Lot from the used bookstore for $1.

message 45: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (malachitemoon) | 36 comments I have purchased close to 125 this past month, but I've only paid full price for 4 of them. I can't resist library book sales, thrift stores, or ebay. Is it bad that I currently own over 550 books that I haven't read yet?!?! Better get off here and back to reading before the baby wakes. :)

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 510 comments Kelli wrote: "I have purchased close to 125 this past month, but I've only paid full price for 4 of them. I can't resist library book sales, thrift stores, or ebay. Is it bad that I currently own over 550 book..."

Is it bad that you own over 550 books that you haven't read yet? Definitely not!! That being said, I'm just someone with an addictive personality when it comes to books, music, candles :)

message 47: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo Kelli - I have about 290 books I haven't read. I like to try to buy the whole series before I start reading them. That tends to make them add up quickly.

message 48: by Dorsi (last edited Sep 20, 2009 12:14PM) (new)

Dorsi (kismet1228) | 18 comments Okay, whew! The Witch's Trinity (Erika Mailman), Speak (Laurie Halse Anderson), Covenant With the Vampire (Jeanne Kalogridis), Touch the Dark (Karen Chance), The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larson), Rebel Angels (Libba Bray), Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte), The Outlandish Companion (Diana Gabaldon), Acheron (Sherrilyn Kenyon), So Worthy My Love (Kathleen Woodiwiss), Petals on the River (Kathleen Woodiwiss), Ashes in the Wind (Kathleen Woodiwiss), A Rose in Winter (Kathleen Woodiwiss), The Perfect Poison (Amanda Quick), Catching Fire (Suzanne Collins), In the Woods (Tana French), The Dark Highlander (Karen Marie Moning), The Book of the Dead (Preston & Child), Brunswick Gardens (Anne Perry), Celtic Fairy Tales (Joseph Jacobs), Plain Truth (Jodi Piccoult), Whiteout (Ken Follett), The Choice (Nicholas Sparks), The Closers (Michael Connelly), The Tenderness of Wolves (Stef Penney), Dead Sexy (Tate Hallaway) & Salems Lot (Stephen King)...and a Barnes & Noble membership for $25....Has anyone bought one of those & do you think it is worth it? I think that's up to 27 for the month. How I love to shop for books! I am ready to go again!

message 49: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (malachitemoon) | 36 comments Dorsi wrote: "Okay, whew! The Witch's Trinity (Erika Mailman), Speak (Laurie Halse Anderson), Covenant With the Vampire (Jeanne Kalogridis), Touch the Dark (Karen Chance), The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg ..."

I really like Jodi Picoult, although Plain Truth is not one of my favorites... I love everything by Stephen King. I have quite a few of the same ones in my ever-growing TBR pile.

We went out driving today to coax the baby to sleep and passed a used book store and I resisted!! I'm very proud of myself. Hopefully I can keep that up for a while... :)

message 50: by Dorsi (new)

Dorsi (kismet1228) | 18 comments My TBR pile is growing quickly! There's never enough time to read! I am glad you gave me the heads up on the Jodi Piccoult book. This will be my first one. Congrats on your strength & resistance! LOL I am not sure I could have done it!

« previous 1