Victorians! discussion

Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
This topic is about Kidnapped
Archived Group Reads 2019 > Kidnapped: Sept. 1-7: Week 1: Ch 1-8:

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renee M | 1979 comments Mod
Please use this thread to comment on the first seven chapters of Kidnapped.

Michaela | 231 comments I think it might be eight chapters Renee! ;)
Anyway, I´m only through the first four chapters, and it seems so well-known to me, as though I´d seen a film about it... or it´s similar to some Dickens (as I originally thought)...

Rosemarie | 213 comments I read this a couple of years ago. I really like the main character, David.

message 4: by Renee, Moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2019 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, eight chapters! More is better!! :)

message 5: by Piyangie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Piyangie | 828 comments Mod
I read this last year after my first read in High School days. I really enjoyed this book.

From the first chapter I liked David. I think David is my favourite Stevenson character.

It was fun reading what happens to David when he goes to seek his inheritance from his uncle. David is a quick and an intelligent young man. So to some extent he sees through his uncle. But the uncle outwits him and David is kidnapped! And here is where the real adventure begins.

Kidnapped is my favourite Stevenson work. I hope all those who read will enjoy it.

Michaela | 231 comments Read the first eight chapters, and loved it much more than Treasure Island. I also understood it better, as there weren´t so many nautical terms - till now! ;) Also loved the Scottish expressions (some of them are explained anyway)!

message 7: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

The stairs! That’s a part which has remained so vivid in my memory since childhood... and as I’m rereading, I can see why!!

Stevenson does not get the credit he deserves.