Play Book Tag discussion

Lanny
This topic is about Lanny
August 2019: 21st Century > Lanny - Porter - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Sep 01, 2019 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jgrace | 2762 comments Lanny - Porter
Audio performance with multiple narrators
5 stars

This book made me uncomfortable. (view spoiler) If that were all the book was about, I would not have read it. The subject matter is too disturbing.

Lanny is a quirky child. He is whimsical and entertaining, different, but lovable. All on his own, Lanny almost saves this book for me. But, there’s more. Porter’s structure is innovative. It’s a wonderful mix of harsh reality with magical realism and mythology. Dead Papa Toothwort adds a mythological element of horror that made me think of Where the Wild Things Are, but for adults. It’s dreamlike and nightmarish. There’s poetry in the descriptions. The audio version is extremely well done, but I also liked the creative use of font and the movement of lines in the text version.

Booknblues | 5517 comments I loved this book up to the point (view spoiler)

Jgrace | 2762 comments Booknblues wrote: "I loved this book up to the point [spoilers removed]"

Thanks for the heads up. I guess that first paragraph is a big spoiler.

message 4: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Eek, I was fully onboard until
"magical realism and mythology".

Any thoughts on how a non-fantasy/MR fan would enjoy? The premise sounds right up my alley.

message 5: by Jgrace (last edited Sep 03, 2019 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jgrace | 2762 comments Joi wrote: "Eek, I was fully onboard until
"magical realism and mythology".

Any thoughts on how a non-fantasy/MR fan would enjoy? The premise sounds right up my alley."

How are you with horror/scifi ? Parts of this were a bit creepy, like a monster thriller.

And, it's a very short book.

message 6: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Jgrace wrote: "How are you with horror/scifi ? Parts of this were a bit creepy, like a monster thriller.."

I can definitely do creepy. I've added it to the TBR, and we shall see.
Thanks Jgrace!

message 7: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3154 comments Hmmmm... adding this >:-)

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments Meli wrote: "Hmmmm... adding this >:-)"

Because you are "creepy"....I remember you fighting for this tag..LOL

message 9: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3154 comments Yes, this is true >:-) I love subversive or trangressive shit. I think you can achieve that without creepy, but I prefer it to be creepy.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5002 comments Joi wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "How are you with horror/scifi ? Parts of this were a bit creepy, like a monster thriller.."

I can definitely do creepy. I've added it to the TBR, and we shall see.
Thanks Jgrace!"

Yeah, you'll be fine with it. I loved this story.