The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2009 > Your Plan of Attack

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments How are you planning to approach the challenge? Are you starting with the highest pointed tasks and working your was backward through the list? Jumping around and reading whatever strikes your fancy on that day? Reading books you already own before buying or heading to the library?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (macyboston) I would like to think I could work my way backwards through the tasks....but it seriously is on a whim. It's really going to depend on what I feel like reading. Some of my books like Little Women are group reads for other book clubs so I'm going to try and tackle those first.

message 3: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 271 comments I am planning mainly on reading whatever strikes my fancy. But if two or three books look good, then I am going to read the longest/more difficult book. That way towards the end if I am not feeling any of the books I have left, they will mainly be shorter ones.

For example, right now I am super motivated :) Therefore, I will prolly start the book most out of my comfort zone-the biography of Harding. But will also be reading The Other Boleyn Girl when I get bored (one of the longest books on my list, but which I should really enjoy!)

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer  (jml_417) I'll probably go with what hits my fancy, but I know from doing the summer challenge that the sooner I start the multi-book challenges, the better.

I've already started some of my longer books.

message 5: by Krista (last edited Sep 01, 2009 10:36AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) Last time I think I focused too much on point totals, and not on what I really wanted to read. This time I'm going to go more with what strikes my fancy. Trouble is, they ALL strike my fancy. Given that I want to read them all. I will read:

1) The 'unrenewable' books that are due back at the library the earliest. (Those books on hold for someone else)
2) The books I own that are waitlisted on PaperBackSwap. (That way I can repost them and get a credit for another book! -- Just what I need, right?)
3) Other books that I own.

I am going to start some of what I would consider some of the toughter books earlier in the challenge.

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra This is my second Challenge and I'm still figuring out the best strategies.
I'd like to concentrate on some Group Reads for other groups. I sort of neglected them over the Summer as I got side-tracked with the Challenge and I missed the discussions on them.
Also, I've started one of my longer books as a back-ground, at-home task.
Then there are the Library books that cannot be renewed. They have to move up the priority ladder.
And, lastly, I hope to always have an audio book for my commute to/from work. Later, when the weather cools, I'll start my treadmill work-out again and find start my audio book for that Task.
It's a bit scattered but, so far, that's my plan of attack. :D

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments I own 180-something unread books and I was able to fit 38 of them into this challenge so I’m mostly planning on starting with the 5-point books I own and moving down the list from lowest points to highest points. Once I’m through all the books I own, I plan on requesting library books in reverse and capturing the multi-book tasks where I only owned half of what was required and going after some of the higher-point tasks towards the end (which helps flagging motivation!)

Exceptions to my plan:

--I’m trying to get 2 non-fiction books for 2 different multi-book tasks out of the way early so I’m not saving them to the end when I’m not as pumped up and motivated about finishing as I am now.

--I put my name on the library waiting list for 2 very popular titles and will read them whenever they come in, even if I’m not done working through my owned titles. Given how long the lists are I probably won’t be reading either of them until late November anyway!

--I had to read one of my books for a multi-book challenge or I’d have died from the anticipation (very recently published from a series I follow religiously). I actually finished it in the wee hours this morning when I couldn’t get back to sleep.

--I’m in the middle of reading another book for a multi-book challenge for my face to face book club. We’re meeting next Tuesday so I need to finish it before then.

message 8: by Leora (new)

Leora | 214 comments I am just reading whatever feels right at the moment. However, I usually read several books at once, a fiction, a non-fiction and something that seems kind of boring or that will take a long time.

message 9: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Sep 01, 2009 11:18AM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Another one who is going to read in whatever order I feel like, though like Melissa - I have several books that are Group Reads for other groups (including Little Women LOL) or that are also being used for other challenges, and some that I have already gotten from the library. So my plan is:

1. One book is a First Reads book that I won, so I will read that at the beginning.

2. Books from the library that have to go back first.

3. Books that fit into other challenges and group reads.

4. Order the more popular books from the library so I can get on the waitlist.

5. Books I already own will be dispersed throughout the reading as need be.

6. As a last resort, I will order and buy books that I cannot get any other way.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 79 comments I am starting by reading whatever I have already that will satisfy a task. Then I am moving on to what I know I can get from the library. I have 2 books in the works from paperback swap that are for the challenge, but I need to have something on hand until they arrive. Luckily the books that I had taken out of the library before finding this challenge ended up working into the challenge as well.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenma) | 101 comments My plan is to try and read all the books in a multi-task challenge around the same time. For the Summer Challenge I had too many half-completed tasks near the end.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) | 233 comments I have no plan! I'll just read whatever takes my fancy at the time. I know I'll never stick to a rigid plan and I will just lose heart, so no plan :)

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments I'm giving priority to group reads, GR giveaway books I need to review and popular library books on hold as they come in. Beyond that, it'll be pretty much whatever strikes my fancy.

In the Summer Challenge, I noticed that I liked reading books for multi-book challenges together so I'll probably try to do that again.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie I had a professor in college that made an obvious but strangely insightful statement that changed the way I look at challenges. He said that most people always seem to have difficulty with the same part of any given task: the beginning, the middle, or the end.

I struggle with beginnings; getting traction is always a hard for me. So, I'm starting with short books that have high point values. This is my first seasonal reading challenge, so we'll see how that strategy works for me.

message 15: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) Since this is my first challenge, I have no 'best approach' at this point. I am planning to work backwards from highest points to lowest points...but we'll see. I don't want to be so rigid about it! :) There are some tasks I am more excited about, so I may jump around a bit to get those in. I guess, really, it's just going to be a mash. LOL!! Good luck to everyone.

Jennifer D.

message 16: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments I generally read whatever strikes my fancy at that moment. The exceptions to that are similar to other people's exceptions:

1) I have a GR First Read book that has been sitting around for a month because I couldn't fit it in the summer challenge.

2) A few holds that I've had from the library have suddenly come in, and I have to read them first as I can't renew them (they are on hold for other peeps).

3) I have to finish Time Traveler's Wife so I can go see the movie in the theater with my mom before it leaves. :P

message 17: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I don't really have a plan... I'm just going to read things as I want to. Unless I check them out from the library, then I'll be sure to read them quickly :)

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I am trying to start with things I can devour at a rapid pace. I want to get some points under my belt.

Also- I want to read as many books as I can so I am not rushing at the end. But I am going to try to not give up on having a life during this challenge (I chose reading over a LOT of things in the last month of the Summer Challenge).

I would love to get my JFK book over with...but I bet I will procrastinate on that one.

I was going to try to read a poem a day for my poetry book.

The books on my list aren't as daunting to me as Summer was, so I am feeling good!

message 19: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Nicole wrote: "I am trying to start with things I can devour at a rapid pace. I want to get some points under my belt.

Also- I want to read as many books as I can so I am not rushing at the end. But I am going..."

My JFK book is my longest read! That's the one I'm dreading (simply b/c its so long!!). Which one are you reading?

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments I'm starting with the stack that came in from hold at the library, to be followed by books I own that will fit. I'm skipping around quite a bit because I try to use books from my TBR list wherever possible, and it takes some time to make matches between the list and the tasks, especially ones that are related to the book's content, which is harder to search.

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela | 491 comments I plan on tackling the larger point tasks first, but also alternating tasks I want to complete (a.k.a books I REALLLY want to read) with the tasks that I have no interest in completing. Otherwise, I will spend most of November reading books that I do not really want to be reading. I have about 15 of the books, so I am going to reserve the rest from my library.

message 22: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) I always have 2-3 books going at a time. I plan on reading the harder for me books during homework time. That would be the classics, non fiction, and the big fat tomes.

My upstairs book is the book I want to devour,

The car/mom's taxi service/sitting at the pool during lessons/dr appts/ etc is the book I can read in short spurts and not lose my train of thought.

Other than that, it is what is NOT renewable at the library.

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Candace wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I am trying to start with things I can devour at a rapid pace. I want to get some points under my belt.

Also- I want to read as many books as I can so I am not rushing at the end...."

Me too! I'm doing An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy, 1917 - 1963 on audio. It's 35 hours on 30 CDs, by far my longest book of the challenge. I have it on reserve at the library and I'm hoping it comes in this week so I can take it camping over Labor Day weekend. Otherwise, that's 3 weeks worth of listening in the car during my commute.

message 24: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments 1) Infidel (Book Club)
2) Quick-reads that I own
3) Depends on my mood where to hit next. Probably the larger tasks, then to small.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments My goal is to read a certain number of books rather than to score a certain number of points, so that I can focus more on reading the books that I am really interested in and not worry so much about how many points they're worth. So I am going to be reading whatever strikes my fancy the most at a given time. That being said, I hate to leave a task partially finished, so if I mood-read a book that completes part of a task, I'll likely then read whatever I need to complete that task, even if I'm not quite as interested in it.

message 26: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Last time I started with the biggest point totals, throwing in the longer books and the multi-book tasks. I tried to not use any books that were non-renewable at the library, the books I requested were not on waiting lists.
For anyone who is going to listen while you exercise, that task could take quite awhile if you exercise less than an hour a day... just saying.

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim | 166 comments I'm going to read what I fancy each time- with the exception of the library books. They will have to be read first- so that I can get some more!!!!

message 28: by Bonnie (last edited Sep 01, 2009 04:49PM) (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments I'm actually going with themes for this challenge. I have a list posted on 100+ Book Challenge with the covers of the books I've read and the list looks better when the books next to each other are semi-related.

So I've got my random books theme (working through first), my Japanese-related books theme, my YA theme, my Halloween-esque books theme, etc.

Not that books slip in where they're not supposed to. I'm almost done with Vampire Academy, which should've technically been saved for the YA/Halloween theme. This just means I fudge the order when I list them on my post.

Yeah, way overthinking this one.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie Bonnie wrote: "I'm actually going with themes for this challenge. I have a list posted on 100+ Book Challenge with the covers of the books I've read and the list looks better when the books next to each other are..."

No, no, not overthinking--that's brilliant. I love that idea. I'll bet that sets up great comparisons. Hmmm...I wonder if I could do that. ***marches off to look at bookshelf***

message 30: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments Since my goal is to actually finish this challenge ( i have no idea if that is practical since I am starting a new job), I am reading in whatever order I feel like. If I had a point goal lower than finishing (like I did last challenge) I would definitely be starting with the higher point books!

message 31: by Jo (new)

Jo I'll probably just read whatever strikes my fancy, starting with books I already own or which are borrowed from friends.

message 32: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (WeHaveLostSignal) | 3 comments I'm just going to attack what I've already got available first, then branching out from there. Just have a very loose order that I'm sticking with, but we'll see.

message 33: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 56 comments I had originally decided I would start with the higher point tasks. Then, I realized that the book I'm reading for a lower point task has to go back to the library, so that's out the window. So we'll see. My CDO (OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order) would prefer to read in order.

message 34: by TeresaFL (new)

TeresaFL | 96 comments I have so many books on my shelves that I want to read so I'm going to try and read those first. This is my second challenge and I managed to read some books that I wanted to from what I had last challenge. I would love to finish the challenge, but it's not my main goal.

message 35: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 03, 2009 08:39PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments To me, the books fit into 4 categories, from highest to lowest reading priority:

1. Interlibrary loans. My library allows you to have 4 at a time... and I filled the last spot this afternoon. Plus, I got my first one in today from Wyoming! (I'm in Texas...) These books are highest priority, since I have limited time with them.

2. Library books. The plan is to check most of my book out, and to do so in waves (5 or 6 or so at a time), so all 42 books aren't due on the same day. (Plus, I'd have to read them all in 3 weeks!) Then, when I go to decide what to read, I'll see which books are left to read for the next upcoming due-date. It's worked well so far. The exception will be the ones I have on hold, of course. I feel bad procrastinating when other people are waiting, especially for new releases. So, I'll read them quickly whenever they come in and pass them on to the next person in line... ;)

3. Books I really hope the library will buy before Nov 30th!! Specifically: Catching Fire, Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover, The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch—and me, Ruby Oliver, and Rampant. Books I NEED TO READ for my sanity's sake and which I want to buy SO BADLY, but which I can't afford, as I'm currently unemployed and we're living strictly on student loans :( . I think the chances of the library getting them are great, pretty good, pretty good, and not so good, respectively. All four have been put in tasks where they can be easily replaced if I can't get my hands on the books in time. In the meantime, I'm stalking the library website and waiting to see if they'll pop up... (They don't add books to the catalog when they order them, but when they arrive at the library, so... any day now, I hope! Especially with Catching Fire!) If I start going crazy because I can't get them, I'll go sit in Barnes and Noble and read them... *sad*

4. Books I own. I own them, which means I'm interested in reading them. So putting them off won't hurt my motivation. I'll read these at the end.

As for going in point order? Meh. One strategy, though, is in reading my Presidential biography (
William McKinley and His America), and that is to read 1 chapter a day until I'm done. That way the task isn't quite so daunting!

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliecs) | 51 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "To me, the books fit into 4 categories, from highest to lowest reading priority:

1. Interlibrary loans. My library allows you to have 4 at a time... and I filled the last spot this afternoon. Pl..."

My library has several copies of Catching Fire on order, and I managed to get myself fourth in line! I'm excited!

message 37: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 03, 2009 08:47PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Woo hoo! I'm FIRST in line for the ONLY copy of City of Glass my library bought! Like I said, my library doesn't add books until they get the physical copy in—then they add them and stick them into some vague "cataloging" process that takes who-knows-how-long, BUT it will be soonish! I'm totally stoked about that one, too!

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments My strategy is to start with the easiest tasks first... Like the children's books. Or if there is a book that absolutely grabs my attention and demands I start reading it, go with that one at the moment. I have never even come closing to finishing these challenges! I just try to knock off as many tasks as possible!

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan | 672 comments I'm starting with the 25 point tasks first, with the books I already own. The library re-opens next week, so then I will start looking at what I want to check out first.

I honestly don't think what order you read really makes a difference, I just know that after 2 previous challenges that I didn't even come close to finishing, any plan might be helpful.

message 40: by Sara ♥ (last edited Sep 03, 2009 10:05PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Susan wrote: "I honestly don't think what order you read really makes a difference, I just know that after 2 previous challenges that I didn't even come close to finishing, any plan might be helpful. "

The only way it would matter is if you were trying to have the most points at the midpoint—to be able to grab the 50-point task... If that were the case, then you should probably read the highest point tasks first... but I know I don't read as fast as some of these people, so... I'm not too bothered with that. I'd just like to finish. Plus, I think it would drive me crazy to be near the end and have 440 points, but still have 10 tasks left.

message 41: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 932 comments I definitely do not plan to finish this challenge since I am working full time and taking two courses this semester. My plan of attack is to read Shadow of the Wind first since I've really been wanting to read it. Then I have an early review book & three library books that need to go back. After that I will read more of the high value tasks using books that I already own. I surpassed the halfway point in the Summer Challenge & would be happy just to get that in the Fall!

message 42: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Sara ♥ wrote: "Woo hoo! I'm FIRST in line for the ONLY copy of City of Glass my library bought! Like I said, my library doesn't add books until they get the physical copy in—then they add them and stick them in..."

YAY! Its SOOO good Sara! My favorite of the 3 so far :)

message 43: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Schroeder (chobie) | 5 comments I'm just picking at random what books are available in my library, and seeing if any books I've been wanting to read are on the list. Ran out of space on the ole' bookshelves, so I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch!

I've never done this challenge before, so I don't even have a points goal at this point. Just going for as many as possible! :)

message 44: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) I am picking at random based on two other book clubs and what I have to return the soonest to the the library. There might be a few challenges along the way that I will get half done to start and will finish as I get to the books. I am actually able to use a lot of my TBR list and many that are in my house, yeah!

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 812 comments I'm starting by reading books I need to complete for other book clubs, then books I need to get from the library. I'm trying to save the ones I own for last, so I don't have to worry about getting down to the wire and not having something. Fortunately, I own over half on my list and I can't wait to get them off my TBR shelf.

message 46: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (bkearns) | 9 comments This is my first reading challenge, so I really don't have any specific plans. I'm just going to see what books I can find and start reading them. Once I get the feel of it, then maybe I'll come down with a plan.

message 47: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) I'm switching up my 'plan' a bit. I've decided that I'm going to get all of the books I DON'T own out of the way first (so I'll be at the library quite bit...), then I'll go back and read all the books I DO own. Of course that could change since The Last Song and The Lost Symbol both come out this month and I'll have to buy them (and I have no willpower to resist reading them as soon as I do...)

message 48: by Angela (new)

Angela | 491 comments I just reserved the books that recently came out and that are popular on Thursday because it will be awhile until I get them. I hope to get them sooner because a lot of them are for my multiple book tasks. I did just pick up the children's books, my superhero book, which was a graphic/comic novel and 5 other books that my library already owned. Finished the children's books and the superhero book tonight!

message 49: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments My plan of attack is going out the window! I've already just started reading whichever book I feel like.... ;) I really need to read City of Ashes (due Weds) and Brave New World (book club on Tuesday, which I am the leader of)... But I'm not going to yet. :)

message 50: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Candace wrote: "I'm switching up my 'plan' a bit. I've decided that I'm going to get all of the books I DON'T own out of the way first (so I'll be at the library quite bit...), then I'll go back and read all the ..."

would song or symbol be a thing? could you rhyme something with song for the poetry? Trying to help you get the books in ( besides I will be reading lost symbol too and it needs a home)

« previous 1