Our Classical Journey discussion

10 views
Books Read In 2019 > The Yearling - Non-Spoilers - Discussion Leader - Jenny

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5976 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.


Member Jenny has asked to lead the discussion!

Take it away Jenny! 😊


message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments Although I read plenty of classic children’s books as a kid (especially LM Montgomery and Laura Ingalls Wilder), I’d never read The Yearling. Is this a first read for some of you or a reread from childhood? If a reread, what was your impression of the story from childhood?


message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5976 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Although I read plenty of classic children’s books as a kid (especially LM Montgomery and Laura Ingalls Wilder), I’d never read The Yearling. Is this a first read for some of you or a reread from c..."

I've never read this book before but I've obviously heard of it. There are many books that I didn't read as a child. Not sure why because I do remember reading as a child! 😁

If members are re-reading maybe you could put your thoughts on the spoilers thread, but if it's only a sweet memory like "it was a beautiful story" then feel free to post here. 😊


message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments Good catch, Loretta. I was thinking more general impression- was it a favorite? Do you think you’ll appreciate it more now? Etc- but I wasn’t very specific!


message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5976 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Good catch, Loretta. I was thinking more general impression- was it a favorite? Do you think you’ll appreciate it more now? Etc- but I wasn’t very specific!"

No worries Jenny! I like the way you're formatting questions and it's a really good question which will hopefully generate a discussion. 😊


message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments There is a Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Society with an interesting bio.

https://rawlingssociety.org/rawlings-bio

While she didn’t grow up in Florida, Rawlings immersed herself in a backcountry FL family and wrote a series of books, including The Yearling, based on her experiences- some of them illegal such as moonshining!


message 7: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5976 comments Mod
Here's a list of books that she wrote:

https://marjoriekinnanrawlings.org/hi...


message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5976 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "There is a Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings Society with an interesting bio.

https://rawlingssociety.org/rawlings-bio

While she didn’t grow up in Florida, Rawlings immersed herself in a backcountry FL f..."


Interesting information Jenny. Thanks! 😊


message 9: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5976 comments Mod
Thanks for leading this discussion Jenny! 😊


message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments I very much enjoyed it, Loretta!


message 11: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5976 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "I very much enjoyed it, Loretta!"

That's great Jenny! Anytime you'd like to lead a book discussion just ask! 😊


back to top