Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read In 2019 > The Yearling - Spoilers - Discussion Leader - Jenny

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5949 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!

Member Jenny has asked to lead the discussion!

Take it away Jenny! 😊

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments While reading, I’ve been impressed with the details of Jody’s relationships with his parents. What do you think of Penny as a father? Of Ory as a mother? For what reasons do you think Jody is closer to his father?

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2019 09:04AM) (new)

Jenny wrote: "While reading, I’ve been impressed with the details of Jody’s relationships with his parents. What do you think of Penny as a father? Of Ory as a mother? For what reasons do you think Jody is close..."

I started this book yesterday. I'm on chapter four.

I'm having a little difficulty with the dialogue. Trying to get beyond that but I'm also trying to power through the lengthy discriptions of just about everything!

Hard to really say what I feel about any of the characters yet. I can say that they are hard working people...and that as a family unit, loving.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments I was really surprised when I discovered this was a 500 page book(in my library copy). Many of the descriptions are lengthy. I haven’t looked at the author’s background but I imagine she must be describing a world she knew quite well.

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "I was really surprised when I discovered this was a 500 page book(in my library copy). Many of the descriptions are lengthy. I haven’t looked at the author’s background but I imagine she must be de..."

My copy has 428 pages. It's the 50th anniversary edition.

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2019 02:58PM) (new)

Into the book a little more now. I feel I can comment and answer your questions Jenny.

I think the father, Penny, is a wonderful character! He's warm and sensitive. He's a good teacher to his son, Jody. The mother, Ory, is the polar opposite of her husband. She's a little hard but I guess with good reason. She lost many children and I think that's why her attitude is so unloving towards Jody. It's like if she loves him too much he'll go away too. I think for that reason Jody clings to his father because his father gives him what his mother can't.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments I love Penny. He is so understanding. Their life is so hard but he wants Jody to have the boyhood that it sounds like he didn’t have. He’s the perfect mix of strength and tenderness.

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "I love Penny. He is so understanding. Their life is so hard but he wants Jody to have the boyhood that it sounds like he didn’t have. He’s the perfect mix of strength and tenderness."

Agree Jenny.

message 9: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I'm getting closer to what I suspect is the sad part of the book. Hope I can handle it...🙁

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments There are a few sad parts! 😢

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments The Forresters! As the story progresses, Jody has mixed feelings about their only close neighbors. They are a rough, fun bunch whose lives are very different from Jody’s family. Fodderwing is Jody’s best friend. The Forresters are capable of great kindness and incomprehensible violence. How do you feel about this family and what they bring to the story?

message 12: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Jenny wrote: "I love Penny. He is so understanding. Their life is so hard but he wants Jody to have the boyhood that it sounds like he didn’t have. He’s the perfect mix of strength and tenderness."

I always see Penny as similar to Atticus Finch in that mix of compassion and discipline. Probably affected by the fact that Gregory Peck plays both characters in the movies of the books.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments I hadn’t made the connection, Tracey, until you mentioned it! A great actor can really personify a character, can’t they?

message 14: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "The Forresters! As the story progresses, Jody has mixed feelings about their only close neighbors. They are a rough, fun bunch whose lives are very different from Jody’s family. Fodderwing is Jody’..."

What a strange bunch, the Forresters and I say that in a very nice way!

They don't seem as "polished" as Jody's family, do they? Maybe it's because the family consists of all men with the exception of the mother.

I think this family brought great learning experiences for Jody especially when he and Penny went to see the family and Penny told his story about his dog hoping that a trade would happen. Penny got his new gun. Penny wasn't dishonest, he told the Forresters that the dog wasn't a "hunting" dog but....

Also, when Fodder-wing died, that experience taught Jody a very hard lesson...

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments Chapter 17, where Fodderwing dies, is such a powerful chapter. Penny said a beautiful eulogy over the grave. And at the end of the chapter he says to his wife that sorrow is always the same, but sometimes he thinks it has done nothing to Ory but sharpen her tongue. She says being hard is the only way she can stand it. And Penny is so compassionate, touches her hair, and reminds her to be easier on others. What a special moment to teach empathy.

For a children’s book, this has some pretty deep moments. Not certain whether they would be understood by all young readers. And modern children would probably have a difficult time with the dialect. But if they came away with a feeling of sympathy for others’ sorrow, that would be a lot.

message 16: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "Chapter 17, where Fodderwing dies, is such a powerful chapter. Penny said a beautiful eulogy over the grave. And at the end of the chapter he says to his wife that sorrow is always the same, but so..."

Ma (Ory) has a very hard outer shell all stemming from the loss of her children.

I really can't believe that this book was written for children.

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments I saw your 5 star rating, Loretta, and wholeheartedly agree. 😊
How did you feel about the ending? Do you blame Ma? Do you think Penny had any other choice?
What do you think of Jody’s decision to return home and accept the difficult life of farming?

message 18: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "I saw your 5 star rating, Loretta, and wholeheartedly agree. 😊
How did you feel about the ending? Do you blame Ma? Do you think Penny had any other choice?
What do you think of Jody’s decision to ..."

I wasn't thrilled with the "Ma" character. As a mother she was pretty cold. If wasn't Jody' fault that the siblings before him died but his mother treated him like it was when she should have grabbed him in her arms and never let him go. In the end, when Jody went missing, I think she finally realized it and she finally let the past go...

message 19: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) Never having lost a child myself, I can only imagine how unbelievably sad this would be. How would one react? I can see how Ma would have been hollowed out inside by the relentlessness of it. It probably took all of her strength to just get up every morning and keep breathing. Repeated trauma and heartbreak will do that to a person. I see her as a very brave character because she truly battled daily when she probably just wanted to lay down and die. Dying for a child is easy, living every day for one even though one is dead inside takes true courage.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 344 comments I found it an interesting choice by the author to have Ma absent when Jody returns. It gave Penny and Jody a chance to have a heart to heart about being a man. But it left Ma in the position of being the one who has to shoulder the burden of struggling for her family’s survival without really giving her much credit for her sacrifices.

message 21: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "I found it an interesting choice by the author to have Ma absent when Jody returns. It gave Penny and Jody a chance to have a heart to heart about being a man. But it left Ma in the position of bei..."

I agree Jenny. I also liked the alone time the author gave at the end with Jody and Ma...😊

message 22: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Thanks for leading this discussion Jenny! 😊