Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read In 2019 > Elizabeth & Her German Garden - Non-Spoilers - Discussions Leader - Jenny

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5983 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

Member Jenny has asked to lead the discussion!

Take it away Jenny! 😊

message 2: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments This is my first introduction to Elizabeth von Arnim as an author. Has anyone read her work before or are most of you coming to her for the first time as well?

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "This is my first introduction to Elizabeth von Arnim as an author. Has anyone read her work before or are most of you coming to her for the first time as well?"

I've read Vera as described and recommended by member Marina. It was a very enjoyable read! 😊

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 551 comments I am coming into this as a new reader. I haven't even heard of this author before, but taking a look at the synopsis (and a few of the reviews on goodreads), this book appeals to me.

I can't wait to read this book! I don't own this book myself, but I have found a copy online through Gutenberg. :)

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments I have read a number of her books, but this is the first book I read. I will rereading it since I read it a long time ago.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Good! Sounds like a mix of seasoned von Arnim veterans and us newbies. I am reading the Gutenberg addition as well, Tiffany. Not a huge fan of reading on a tablet but you can’t beat free and so many titles available!

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 551 comments I might actually pick up a copy of this book. I like the style of the writing and the character sounds like such fun.

message 8: by DebK (new)

DebK | 339 comments I read the first chapter. So far, so good. I can relate to her, but I’m not so sure about her relationship with her husband! LOL seems like she just wants to get away from him. i’m curious to see how a garden can produce much of a story. I am suspending judgment.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Elizabeth’s relationship with her husband is definitely interesting!

message 10: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 563 comments I have previously read Love (3 stars), Vera (4 stars) and The Enchanted April (4 stars). I have fond memories of all three and am looking forward to reading this book. I've read many good reviews. I have downloaded my copy from Gutenberg as well.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Welcome to the group read, Marina. Glad to have you along!

message 12: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Deb wrote: "I read the first chapter. So far, so good. I can relate to her, but I’m not so sure about her relationship with her husband! LOL seems like she just wants to get away from him. i’m curious to see h..."

Deb don't want to be a nag but your comments would be better suited on the spoilers thread.

Thanks!

message 13: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 563 comments Jenny wrote: "Welcome to the group read, Marina. Glad to have you along!"

message 14: by DebK (new)

DebK | 339 comments Loretta wrote: "Deb wrote: "I read the first chapter. So far, so good. I can relate to her, but I’m not so sure about her relationship with her husband! LOL seems like she just wants to get away from him. i’m curi..."

You are never a nag, Loretta! (Just a very good moderator) Thanks for keeping me honest.

message 15: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Deb wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Deb wrote: "I read the first chapter. So far, so good. I can relate to her, but I’m not so sure about her relationship with her husband! LOL seems like she just wants to get away fr..."

I think my husband would disagree Deb! LOL. 😂😜🤣

message 16: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Put my request in at the library for this one. Nothing yet! 🙁

message 17: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I have read this and The Enchanted April. Both are lovely.

message 18: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 551 comments I hope you get a copy of this, Loretta. If not, would you read it from Gutenberg? I know that some libraries take a long time to get books back from patrons or find them on their shelves. When my library did renovations they moved to another location for a year or so and they misplaced a few books in the move that I was so annoyed about because I wanted to read them, lol. :P

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Yes, I hope you are able to join us, Loretta. I think you’d really enjoy this book.

message 20: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments There are a number of Von Arnim titles available on Gutenberg including a sequel of sorts to this one called April Baby’s Book of Tunes. I’ll definitely be reading more of her books.

message 21: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2019 07:18AM) (new)

Looked at Project Gutenberg this morning on my phone. Not being familiar with this site can anyone advise? They are asking specifically the type of file I want to download. HTML, EPUB, PLAIN, MORE FILES. There are all size files. Is this an app? If so, which app? There are many to choose from.

I can't believe I'm actually considering reading this on my phone! It's so small. Can't download anything on my iPad anymore. Storage issues.

Any help, advice would be appreciated. 🙁

message 22: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments Loretta, I just went to Project Gutenberg and you can read the book online without downloading it, so you don't have to read it on your home. The only drawback is you can't read it everywhere and I haven't figured out how to save my place.

I have lots of books on my ipad and remove the downloads of any books that I have read already, and I have a lot.
You must have more than me!

message 23: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Loretta, I just went to Project Gutenberg and you can read the book online without downloading it, so you don't have to read it on your home. The only drawback is you can't read it everywhere and I..."

I don't have any books downloaded on my iPad. My problem is photos/pictures! I keep trying to delete them but I love photos! 😊

message 24: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments I know what you mean!

message 25: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I know what you mean!"

🎑🎇🌃🌌🏞🎆🌌🌌🌅🌇🌉🌁🌄🌠🗾 📷📸 😁

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments I’m not technologically inclined but....
I often just read the html version which, as Rosemarie pointed out, doesn’t download, just opens in a browser window. You need an internet connection to read it and since you can’t save your spot, I leave that window open on my iPad and go back to that open window when I want to read. If the book has a contents page, the chapters sometimes have links so you might be able to skip directly to the chapter you are reading.
When I downloaded the ePub version it opened directly in my books app that came with my iPad.
I haven’t experimented any further than that.
Not sure any of this is helpful to your situation!

message 27: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Loretta wrote: "Looked at Project Gutenberg this morning on my phone. Not being familiar with this site can anyone advise? They are asking specifically the type of file I want to download. HTML, EPUB, PLAIN, MORE ..."

It's free for Kindle on Amazon. You can read in on the kindle app.

I read most of Gone With the Wind on my phone. Every time I was stuck waiting for someone or something I pulled out my phone and read. It took me two years to finish.

message 28: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Read about one third. I'm enjoying it so far.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Glad you can join us, Piyangie. Have you read von Arnim before?

message 30: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "I’m not technologically inclined but....
I often just read the html version which, as Rosemarie pointed out, doesn’t download, just opens in a browser window. You need an internet connection to rea..."

Thanks for the info Jenny. 😊

message 31: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I am beyond shocked! My library called! They found a copy! I pick it up today! Yahoo!!! 😜

message 32: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 563 comments Loretta wrote: "I am beyond shocked! My library called! They found a copy! I pick it up today! Yahoo!!! 😜"

Yay! Glad you'll be joining us :) I think you might like the book.

message 33: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Sep 06, 2019 07:56AM) (new)

Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I am beyond shocked! My library called! They found a copy! I pick it up today! Yahoo!!! 😜"

Yay! Glad you'll be joining us :) I think you might like the book."

I liked your recommendation Marina, Vera by the same author, Elizabeth von Arnim, so I'm quite excited to read this one! I'm especially enjoying the discussions here and on the spoilers thread! 😊

message 34: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Glad you can join us, Loretta!

message 35: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "Glad you can join us, Loretta!"

Me too Jenny! Thanks! ☺️

message 36: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Kumari | 208 comments I am also reading this book since all of you have praised it so much and it’s short. The beginning reminds me of The secret Garden my favourite children’s classics.

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Glad to have you, Nidhi!

message 38: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Kumari | 208 comments Thanks Jenny😀

message 39: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 563 comments Loretta wrote: "I liked your recommendation Marina, Vera by the same author, Elizabeth von Arnim, so I'm quite excited to read this one! "

The two books are very different from each other. I think Elizabeth von Arnim was a very gifted writer and she had the ability to write very heterogenous works. I'm looking forward to your jumping in the discussion :)

message 40: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Nidhi wrote: "I am also reading this book since all of you have praised it so much and it’s short. The beginning reminds me of The secret Garden my favourite children’s classics."

I just got the book yesterday from the library and I did skim the first few pages and I see what you mean Nidhi. 😊

message 41: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I'm having a hard time getting into this book. Granted, I've only read a few pages. I hope it grabs my attention soon. 😕

message 42: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Kumari | 208 comments I also find myself skimming through all the names of flowers, there is a monotony which makes the book feel like a gardening book. I will finish it and see if there’s any thing novel in the story or not.

How could she leave her kids with nurse?😱

message 43: by DebK (new)

DebK | 339 comments why give up?

message 44: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments It does get more interesting, other than the discussion about the flowers in her garden.

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments The scope of the book is very limited- a woman who tries not to leave her house much, tries not to have visitors much and speaks to her flowers more than her family!! 😉 I think for me it was Elizabeth’s honesty and her voice that drew me in but I can see how it wouldn’t be enjoyable to everyone!

message 46: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Thanks Jenny for leading this discussion! 😊

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Thank you for giving us a chance to help out!

message 48: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments Thank you, Jenny. It was a good discussion.

message 49: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 345 comments Thanks, Rosemarie, I enjoyed everyone’s contributions!

message 50: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Jenny wrote: "Thank you for giving us a chance to help out!"

Love it when you guys want to lead a discussion! 😊