21st Century Literature discussion

What to Read > October 2019 Wild Card Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2088 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for our next Wild Card book. They will be open through September 7th, and the voting will start on the 8th. The discussion will start on October 15th,

The purpose of the Wild Card is to choose books that fall outside our usual rules by being more on the ‘genre’ side of things (e.g., sci-fi, fantasy, YA, romances, westerns, graphic novels, etc.) but still of literary interest. More about the Wild Card can be found here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Nominating Guidelines:
- One nomination per person
- Fiction (originally published between Jan. 2000 and October 14, 2018)
- Wouldn't normally fit in our Open Pick

If you are nominating a book, please begin your post by stating "I nominate [name w. hyperlink to book]".

Happy nominating!

message 2: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 2588 comments Mod
Thanks Whitney

message 3: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 566 comments Dang, I had a long list in my head of things I wanted to nominate when this came up again and of course now I can't remember any of the books!

message 4: by Hugh (new)

Still 4 more days to remember them!

message 5: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 199 comments I nominate Someone to Run With by David Grossman.

message 6: by Whitney (new)

Lark wrote: "I nominate Someone to Run With by David Grossman."

Looks like a great book, Lark, but also looks like it may belong in the regular Open Pick? I'm unfamiliar with it, what do you think makes it a Wild Card?

message 7: by lark (last edited Sep 03, 2019 01:14PM) (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 199 comments Whitney, I thought about that question, since it wasn't marketed as genre fiction, but the novel reads as YA. It's very light-hearted, unlike any other David Grossman book.

From the Booklist review: Very different from Grossman's books of political commentary, this entertaining novel is more like his Zigzag Kid (1997), part urban survival adventure, part YA romance, and part mystery. A best-seller in Israel and translated from the Hebrew in an informal, relaxed style, the story weaves together the lives of two middle-class teens who find themselves in Jerusalem's violent drug underworld.

I think if we read this as an Open Pick then people would say "oh, this is so lightweight and sentimental!" vs. Wild Card "wow, this is surprisingly deep for such a light and optimistic novel!"

message 8: by Bretnie (new)

Bretnie | 566 comments Ok, I remembered at least one of them! I nominate The Water Knife by Paulo Bacigalupi.

message 9: by Whitney (new)

Excellent choice, Bretnie. And Lark, Someone to Run With does look like it qualifies as YA. It is also a fine Wild Card nomination.

message 10: by Hayley (new)

message 11: by Whitney (new)

Hayley wrote: "Hi. I nominate Do Not Say We Have Nothing"

Thanks, Harley, but we read that one last year as a moderator pick, you can find the discussion here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 12: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Hi. Can I nominate Schooling since the first book I nominated was already read?

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Hayley wrote: "Hi. Can I nominate Schooling since the first book I nominated was already read?"

You certainly may nominate another book! I'm unfamiliar with Schooling, what do you think makes it a Wild Card pick?

message 14: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Hi Whitney. Based on a few blurbs I read, it just seems like a bit of an odd book. Neither character seems reliable, the story is told stream of consciousness so the readers need to do more work in understanding the characters, and it has good reviews.

message 15: by Whitney (new)

Hayley wrote: "Hi Whitney. Based on a few blurbs I read, it just seems like a bit of an odd book. Neither character seems reliable, the story is told stream of consciousness so the readers need to do more work in..."

The mods have again put their pointy little heads together and figured this one is a better choice for the Open Pick, since it seems more experimental than 'genre' (we know, it's subjective and arbitrary and all that). Open Pick nominations will be opening in about 8 days, so please renominate it there as it looks really interesting!

Good nominations, though. Do you want to try for third time's a charm?

message 16: by Whitney (last edited Sep 07, 2019 03:40PM) (new)

Since this the October Wild Card, I will go on-theme and nominate White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi, which has some good buzz.

Last chance to get more nominations in. It's a thin field, so this is your chance to get your dark horse candidate in the running!

message 17: by David (new)

David | 242 comments Whitney wrote: "Since this the October Wild Card, I will go on-theme and nominate White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi, which has some good buzz.

Last chance to get more nomination..."

It's not too long, it's thematic for the month, the blurb sounds interesting, the reviews are good. What a great choice!

Oops. We're not voting ... yet ... :-)

message 18: by Whitney (new)

Discussion and comments always welcome.

message 19: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Whitney wrote: "Hayley wrote: "Hi Whitney. Based on a few blurbs I read, it just seems like a bit of an odd book. Neither character seems reliable, the story is told stream of consciousness so the readers need to ..."
I will nominate it for the Open Pick. Thanks!

message 20: by Whitney (new)

Excellent!

Last call for nominations, poll going up soon.

message 21: by Hugh (new)

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Poll closes tomorrow and voting is close!

message 23: by Hugh (new)

White is for Witching has won the poll.