Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read In 2019 > Silence - Non-Spoilers - Discussion Leader - Marilyn

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2019 11:32AM) (new)

Loretta | 5983 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

Member Marilyn has asked to lead the discussion!

Take it away Marilyn! 😊

message 2: by Marilyn (last edited Sep 02, 2019 10:54AM) (new)

Marilyn Silence has been on my TBR list for a few years so I am excited to read it this month - who's in?

My copy is a Picador Modern Classic with a forward by Martin Scorsese (who directed the movie, which I have not seen) and a translator's preface. I usually do not read these for fear of spoilers. With this book I think I need some understanding of the historical context for the story. I will give a spoiler alert if he gives away too much.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I have the same copy. I hope to start reading tomorrow. I didn’t even know of this book before it was chosen here but I am looking forward to it,

message 4: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Marilyn wrote: "Silence has been on my TBR list for a few years so I am excited to read it this month - who's in?

My copy is a Picador Modern Classic with a forward by Martin Scorsese (who directed the movie, whi..."

You can put spoilers on the spoilers thread Marilyn. That's what it's there for. 😊

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Put my request for this book at the library the last week in August. Still waiting. Doesn't look good. I may have to order it because I really want to read it....

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Tracey the Bookworm wrote: "I have the same copy. I hope to start reading tomorrow. I didn’t even know of this book before it was chosen here but I am looking forward to it,"

Glad to have you joining! I hope to start tonight.

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Loretta wrote: "Put my request for this book at the library the last week in August. Still waiting. Doesn't look good. I may have to order it because I really want to read it...."

With the Hollywood movie in 2016, I would think enough libraries added it to make it available by interlibrary loan. Then again, I don't understand library collection decisions. I hope they come through for you.

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Yippee! Got my call from the library. It's in! 😊

message 9: by Marilyn (last edited Sep 03, 2019 02:56PM) (new)

Marilyn Loretta wrote: "Yippee! Got my call from the library. It's in! 😊"

Yay! I have read the first 3 chapters and I'm liking it.

message 10: by Marilyn (last edited Sep 03, 2019 03:45PM) (new)

Marilyn I found the translator's preface very helpful for historical context. He also addresses the conflict of taking a religion that has been nurtured in the symbols and traditions of European culture for centuries and introducing it into a completely different Japanese culture that has developed through its own traditions for centuries. Can it adapt? Is it allowed to adapt? Can it survive and thrive, or is it doomed to failure? This is sitting in the back of my mind as I am reading.

message 11: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn I also liked the foreword by Martin Scorsese. I posted my comments in the spoiler section, just in case.

message 12: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Started this book last night. I'm also reading the Picador Modern Classic.

The version is chock full of information as Marilyn has indicated. Besides the forward by Martin Scorsese and the translator's preface there's an appendix which will probably be useful, a discussion guide by the author Shūsaku Endō which includes a publisher's note, a note on the book Silence, meet the author, Shūsaku Endō, the author's influence, discussion questions and topics which perhaps Marilyn will post and recommended further reading!

I've decided to forgo all of the above and jump right in and start reading!

message 13: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn My copy doesn't have the discussion guide. Usually I don't read the discussion guide but in this case, it would be useful.

message 14: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Marilyn wrote: "My copy doesn't have the discussion guide. Usually I don't read the discussion guide but in this case, it would be useful."

Your copy doesn't have the discussion questions?

message 15: by Marilyn (last edited Sep 06, 2019 09:29AM) (new)

Marilyn Loretta wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "My copy doesn't have the discussion guide. Usually I don't read the discussion guide but in this case, it would be useful."

Your copy doesn't have the discussion questions?"

Nope. It ends with the appendix. A bummer for the discussion leader.

message 16: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) My copy is the same as Marilyn’s. So we will leave discussion of the appendix with you Loretta when we are ready for it 😉

message 17: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Marilyn wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "My copy doesn't have the discussion guide. Usually I don't read the discussion guide but in this case, it would be useful."

Your copy doesn't have the discussion qu..."

Not at all Marilyn! We are reading this book together and you are the discussion leader. We don't need the questions out of a book to form our own questions and answers, especially from the leader of the discussion. 😊

message 18: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Thanks Marilyn for leading this discussion! 😊

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Silence (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Shūsaku Endō (other topics)