Middle Grade Madness! discussion

Reading Challenges > Superhero September!

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kadi, Creator (last edited Oct 01, 2019 02:49PM) (new)

Kadi P (kadi_p) | 2873 comments Mod

It's official! It's Superhero September!

This challenge is essentially book bingo, superhero edition.
Here's our bingo grid:

(Click picture to enlarge)

So how does this challenge work?
- Books started before September can count as long as the majority of the book is read during September or October.
- The books can be middle grade, young adult, new adult, adult, it's up to you!
- One book counts towards one square.
- Tick off each square as you go along.
- As with regular bingo, you need to complete (tick off all the squares in) one straight line either vertically or horizontally.
- Diagonal lines do NOT count.
- I've numbered each square for ease of reference😊
- The colours were supposed to indicate levels of hardness but I don't think they do anymore so just think of them as pretty decoration😂

No sign up required! Just join in the conversation and say which book you’ll be reading for which square.
When you've completed a line shout "BINGO"!
And why not challenge yourself to complete 2, or even 3, lines!!

message 2: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments this sounds amazing! super excited. so do all of the books have to be superhero themed? like for the book with the mostly red cover, should it still be centered around superheroes?

message 3: by Kadi, Creator (new)

If you want it to be then yeah but if you don’t it’s actually fine. It’s one of the only squares that is weirdly not directly superhero related so for that square it is totally up to you!

In general I really wanted to stretch the definition of a superhero here which is why I included a lot of squares about what I like to call the everyday superhero. Kids fighting diseases, people saving lives, etc. Just to show there‘s more than your generic superhero out there. Plus it’ll be interesting to broaden your reading horizons and see what people come up with for this challenge!

message 4: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Do any of them actually have to have superheroes (unless it says that specifically)? Is it more like they're a superhero in their own way?

message 5: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments awesome! and that’s really cool i like that a lot 👌🏼

message 6: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Thanks. Sorry, I didn't see that

message 7: by Kadi, Creator (new)

@Zaiyah no they don’t actually have to have superheroes in them like take square 16. for example. You could read The Hunger Games: Mockingjay for it. Katniss takes part in the rebellion against the capitol and whilst she isn’t a conventional superhero, she is a superhero in her own right, if that makes sense. She does heroic things and the book fits the square’s criteria. So it would definitely count. Hope the example helped explain my main point instead of confusing you!

message 8: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 410 comments Is Harry Potter a superhero? My boyfriend and I are having a heated debate

⚘ Itz Irina the Bibliophile ⚘ | 68 comments cool can't wait to try it out!!!!

message 10: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments @ilsen i, personally, would vote yes to harry potter being a superhero

message 12: by Mel (Epic Reading) (last edited Sep 01, 2019 09:24PM) (new)

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 96 comments Sooo... after a healthy debate with my husband about the definition of a superhero we decided on:
- an entity (doesn’t have to be human) that has a power unlike that of anyone else (ie: not common or is unique to them)

By this definition Harry Potter counts as the power his mother gives him, and the abilities he has from his scar are unique to him alone.

Ironically we realized this definition does not work for characters like Batman whose only “power” is having lots of money and stubbornness. (Lol)
So now I’m wondering if there isn’t a 1. 2. Or higher variation on the definition required... 😉

message 13: by Kadi, Creator (new)

This is the kind of conversation I wanted to generate! I mean using the general definition I wouldn’t call Harry Potter a superhero but he does kind of fit into it.
Like he’s a good guy, he makes sacrifices for other people, he wants to save people, he has superpowers that others don’t have like being connected to Voldy and being able to speak parseltongue. Hey let’s create a poll just for the fun of it!

message 14: by Kadi, Creator (new)

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

A poll to see what the general consensus is!^

Mel (Epic Reading) (mel-epicreading) | 96 comments Love it! Goodreads polls always intrigue me. 😊

message 16: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 148 comments This sounds amazing! Unfortunately, I have so many other challenges I have to take this month so sadly I can't participate in this one. But I'm looking forward for the next one.

message 17: by Kadi, Creator (new)

That’s ok Dana😊 Hopefully you can take part in the next one!

message 18: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 148 comments Kadi wrote: "That’s ok Dana😊 Hopefully you can take part in the next one!"

It will be my pleasure!

message 19: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Is anyone reading anything for this challenge?

I just started Heroes in Crisis yesterday for square #9 and I’m reading Dark Age for which square I’m not sure yet but I’m sure it’ll fit one of them...

message 20: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments i haven't started anything yet because i'm trying to get through a couple books i have to get done soon. BUT, my first book will be Wonder Woman: Warbringer for a book based on a DC comics character. and hopefully i'll get started on that within the next few days?

but i need to sit down and plan what books i'm going to read because i don't have many superhero type books so i'm gonna have to find some 😅

message 21: by Kadi, Creator (new)

jessica wrote: "i haven't started anything yet because i'm trying to get through a couple books i have to get done soon. BUT, my first book will be Wonder Woman: Warbringer for a book based on a DC..."

Oooh can’t wait to see what you think of the Wonder Woman book! Take your time and enjoy it😊
This might help you find superhero books: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Hopefully you can find some books in there you might like!

message 22: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) 24 - Out of My Mind
Mrs. V babysits for Melody and her younger sister Penny

message 23: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments Kadi wrote: "jessica wrote: "i haven't started anything yet because i'm trying to get through a couple books i have to get done soon. BUT, my first book will be Wonder Woman: Warbringer for a bo..."

i'm super excited about it! it's been sitting on my shelf since it came out and i just haven't gotten around to it which is a sin because leigh bardugo is my favorite author 😂

thank you! i forgot that was there, but i'll definitely be checking it out for this!

message 24: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Comics count, right?

message 25: by Kadi, Creator (new)

As long as they’re collected into vols. single issues don’t count they’re too easy😂

message 26: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 410 comments I’m so sorry! I was going to try and do this Challenge this month but it’s just too much so I think I’m going to have to pass on this one. But I’m opening up space on October so I will definitely join in October

message 27: by grace (new)

grace (gyoung05) | 50 comments I’m getting a bit of a late start, but I definitely will be participating this month! I have a few questions. (1) Does Peter Pan count for a book with 3 or more character who can fly? (2) for a book with a reformed villain, does the villain have to be reformed throughout the whole book or can it be like at the end?

message 28: by Kadi, Creator (new)

@Ilsen it’s a shame you can’t take part but hopefully you can next month!

@Grace I’m so glad your participating in the challenge!
I have to say I’ve never read Peter Pan. Do 3 characters fly in that book? If there are 3 that do then it counts.
And for the reformed villain one I would say it counts if they become reformed at the end.

message 29: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) There are Peter and Tinkerbell, and then when Peter makes Wendy, John and Mike fly. Do those count?

For the reformed villain one would The Last Olympian count?

message 30: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Yeah Peter Pan counts then!

Ooh who would you say the villain is? (view spoiler) Are they really villains?!? *wiggles eyebrows in dramatic fashion* 😂😂
I’m kidding, Last Olympian definitely counts. Such a great book!

message 31: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments rick on a roll for reforming villains wow

message 32: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Honestly so true. The only bad guy that didn’t turn good in that book was (view spoiler)😂😂 even then he (view spoiler)

message 33: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments ohmygosh so true😂😂

message 34: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Ha! Yup

message 35: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) I have to admit, I have not really been keeping up with this, I kind of forget to update what I'm reading and check if it works for anything. Whoops

message 36: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Does epilepsy count as a life-threatening disease?

message 37: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Also, for the doctor one, what if the main character is not technically a doctor, but she knows medical information and can do medical things, and the only thing preventing her from being a real doctor is the fact that she's a woman? Does that count?

message 38: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Yeah epilepsy can be life threatening so I’ll count it. And same I keep wanting to read a book for this challenge but I keep forgetting. Do you think I should extend this challenge to October?

message 39: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments do you have a challenge planned for october?

message 40: by Kadi, Creator (new)

jessica wrote: "do you have a challenge planned for october?"

Nope but there are 2 readathons scheduled. I was planning on making it a kind of a competition where we all contribute to a list of books beforehand and then on the day of the readathon we all individually use a random picker (I’ll set it up on a website, all people would have to do is click a button) to pick which of the books from the list we read first and then after reading it they use the random picker to select another. And then it’s like a race to finish them. And it’s also with different and interesting books that we wouldn’t normally read.

message 41: by jessica (new)

jessica (abookishjess) | 616 comments ooh! that sounds quite interesting.

then this could definitely continue into october since there won't necessarily be another month long challenge for that.
because it's been a really low reading month for me and i'm still reading wonder woman which was my first book for this 😅

message 42: by zaiyah (last edited Sep 27, 2019 07:03PM) (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) I like the idea of continuing into Oct.. Does the one about the doctor count still?

message 43: by Kadi, Creator (new)

jessica wrote: "ooh! that sounds quite interesting.

then this could definitely continue into october since there won't necessarily be another month long challenge for that.
because it's been a really low readin..."

Great so I’m going to continue it into October then!

message 44: by Kadi, Creator (new)

Zaiyah wrote: "I like the idea of continuing into Oct.. Does the one about the doctor count still?"

Yeah I would say the doctor one counts👍🏻

message 45: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Yay.

message 46: by zaiyah (new)

zaiyah (skellyzelly) Update.

2 - A Sliver of Stardust - The three main characters are apprentices to Mary, a 200-something year-old woman

5 - The Graveyard Book - The main character's parents were murdered when he was a baby

7 - The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy - The main character is a type of doctor

17 - The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue - One of the main characters is afflicted with epilepsy

20 - A Legend of Starfire - "To save her world, Wren will travel farther than even she could have dreamed: to the heart of Nod itself, where she must defeat Boggen once and for all."

24 - Out of My Mind - The main character is babysat by a woman named Mrs. V