Beyond Reality discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General SF&F discussion > What are you reading in September 2019?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 493 comments Mod
What are you reading this month? Tell us about your current reads and recommendations.

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3083 comments Mod
I didn’t get a chance to answer MadProfessah in the August topic before it closed.
“How was BOOK 2 of the LONG PRICE QUARTET”
I am 80% done and thought it moved more quickly than the first book. Still lots of intrigue. I will post in the folder for A Shadow in Summer when I finish A Betrayal in Winter, and I plan to read the final 2 books as well over the coming weeks.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finally finished Dust of Dreams.
Wow, good but a slow read, took me most of the summer.

Was thinking on moving on to the final book but detoured, went with some old school mystery
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume I
FYI, watched the final episode of Sherlock the other night and it sort of called to me.

message 4: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 493 comments Mod
I stopped by a used bookstore and picked up a sackful of new (to me) books. Just finished Enchantment, a retelling of Sleeping Beauty. The action moves between present day upstate New York and medieval Ukraine and involves elements from many Russian folk tales. An engaging and enjoyable story.

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Chris wrote: "I stopped by a used bookstore and picked up a sackful of new (to me) books. Just finished Enchantment, a retelling of Sleeping Beauty.”

I have this on my bookshelf and it sounds like something I will enjoy! I also picked it up at a used book store.

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I read The Test which is very different; now I'm reading Outpost

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Well, I gave up on Sherlock, just wasnt feeling it
Started some SF, Macroscope

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Ken wrote: "Well, I gave up on Sherlock, just wasnt feeling it
Started some SF, Macroscope"

Macroscope was one of my favorites by Anthony way back when. I've been scared to read it again in case the suck fairy got to it.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Jim wrote: "
Macroscope was one of my favorites by Anthony way back when. I've been scared to read it ..."

So far so good. its quite interesting. Only issue I have is he left us stuck in the deep end in regards to Ivo's history when the story started. Interesting though is the whole conversation at the begin about conservation of the planet. I realise they were all for it back then but it's still relevant today

message 11: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2118 comments Mod
I've spent the past few weeks re-reading the Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaiman and it's been so lovely re-visiting them, they are so brilliant! If I have some time tonight, I'm going to start Blood of Dragons for the group series read.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Ken wrote: "So far so good. its quite interesting. Only issue I have is he left us stuck in the deep ..."

Good! I may reread it. Roll with Ivo.

message 13: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

So far in September, I have read:
A Betrayal in Winter by Daniel Abraham, Book 2 in The Long Price Quartet. 8/10. Comments in our thread about book 1 in that series. Looking forward to seeing where this story goes.
Sorcerer's Legacy by Janny Wurts, 7/10. Comments in our thread for this book, one of our September Books of the Month.
The Glass Dragon by Irene Radford, Book 1 in the Dragon Nimbus series. This series has been on my shelf for years and I finally decided to give it a go. 6/10. Not bad, kind of predictable, but good enough that I will keep going.
The Enemy by Lee Child, another Jack Reacher book. This one goes back in time to when Reacher was still an MP in the Army. 8/10
Forty Thousand in Gehenna by C.J. Cherryh, 9/10. Parts of this reminded me of Cibola Burn, colonists on an unsettled world, facing challenges by indigenous life, fellow colonists, and forces beyond their planet.

I started Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb for our series read.

message 14: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud Kathi wrote: "Forty Thousand in Gehenna by C.J. Cherryh, 9/10. "

I planned to buddy read it after we finished Merchanter's Luck

message 15: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 108 comments The first two weeks in September my reading has been as follows:

I had a try on some 'typical' Fantasy books (I never was a great fan of sword and sorcery or medieval kind of Fantasy in general so far)

Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson is outstanding - and was the reason why I thought perhaps I like those series after all.

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks was … let's say … 'incompatible' - didn't like it at all.

Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist was so old fashioned that it was kind of cute. Nothing I would have picked normally, but it was a nostalgic feel-good reading.

The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. Le Guin I read aloud with my boys. After we had read the first of the Earthsea novels together I was half expecting that my kiddos would complain that the books are too boring for their liking. But to my surprise (and delight) they keep demanding more. At the moment we are reading "Tehanu" together.

My personal challenge is to read more non-US, non-GB authors and I found two treasures there:

Terra Nullius by Claire G. Coleman was unexpected and quite intriguing. I enjoyed it a lot.

The World of the End by Ofir Touche Gafla was different in a welcoming way as well. A book about (a quite bureaucratic) life after death, yet with a rather depressing, subdued atmosphere (I like those kind of books)

And then I had to read The Testaments byMargaret Atwood asap. The beginning was everything I expected, but in the second half it unfortunately started to fail my high expectations.

message 16: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Oleksandr wrote: "I planned to buddy read it after we finished Merchanter's Luck"

It actually does not come right after Merchanter's Luck, even though it is "packaged" with it in the book Alliance Space (Company Wars #2). The events in Forty Thousand in Gehenna take place quite a bit later in time, I think. But the "correct order" to read these books depends a lot on which website you are using as a reference.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine | 593 comments I finished Outpost and am about to start Sealed

message 18: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I finished Blood of Dragons for our series read last night. Next I'm thinking of re-reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, since I have the second and third books of the trilogy sitting unread on my shelf and I was recently reminded how fantastic N.K. Jemisin is when I read her latest short story collection, How Long 'til Black Future Month? I read the first book several years ago with this group, and I LOVED it, immediately purchased the sequels...then never got around to reading them.

message 19: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Kathi wrote: "The Enemy by Lee Child, another Jack Reacher book. This one goes back in time to when Reacher was still an MP in the Army. 8/10."

This is sitting right next to me. I think it might be my next read

message 20: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 130 comments Just started OCTAVIA GONE by Jack McDevitt. He’s incredibly consistent with writing entertaining books in both of his long-running series: Alex Benedict (future archeologist) and Paula Hawkins (female spaceship pilot).

message 21: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

MadProfessah wrote: "Just started OCTAVIA GONE by Jack McDevitt. He’s incredibly consistent with writing entertaining books in both of his long-running series: Alex Benedict (future archeologist) and Paula Hawkins (fem..."

My husband has read a bunch of those, but I have not (yet). Although I have definitely liked the stand-clones I've read by Jack McDevitt. Another author I need to revisit.

message 23: by posthuman (last edited Sep 21, 2019 03:53PM) (new)

posthuman | 5 comments OMG! *heavy breathing* I just found out this new collection of stories by N.K. Jemisin, Blake Crouch, Andy Weir, Amor Towles, Veronica Roth and Paul Tremblay is totally free if you have amazon prime!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

includes the following titles I've been eagerly awaiting:
Summer Frost
Emergency Skin
Randomize
You Have Arrived at Your Destination
Ark
The Last Conversation

message 24: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 108 comments PostHuman wrote: "OMG! *heavy breathing* I just found out this new collection of stories by N.K. Jemisin, Blake Crouch, Andy Weir, Amor Towles, [aut..."

And if you get them the audible is free, too.

message 25: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

PostHuman wrote: "OMG! *heavy breathing* I just found out this new collection of stories by N.K. Jemisin, Blake Crouch, Andy Weir, Amor Towles, [aut..."

Thank you for sharing this!

message 27: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

My middle of the month reading:
Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb, 10/10, just a wonderful conclusion to the Rain Wilds Chronicles arc.
Wyrms by Orson Scott Card, 7/10, a science fiction tale that tells a deeper story of loyalty, free will, and the instinct for survival. Thought-provoking, but some parts seemed a bit heavy handed.
An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham, 10/10, exceptional! Politics and war, power and love, and layers of loyalties and motivations. Such complex characters, and how they have changed over the years. Heart-breaking decisions and consequences. I don’t know how the author will conclude this series, but I can’t imagine the final book being better than this one.
The Perfect Princess by Irene Radford, 6/10, enjoyable enough but really nothing special.
Now reading One Shot by Lee Child, another Jack Reacher book that has an intriguing beginning. We’ll see how it develops.

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Kathi wrote: "Now reading One Shot by Lee Child, another Jack Reacher book that has an intriguing beginning. We’ll see how it develops. ."
This is the book they made the first Jack Reacher movie. While Cruise may not have Reachers look, I personally think he had Reacher down pat.

message 30: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I finished my re-read of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and have the sequel lined up, but I was in a memoir kind of mood so I picked up If All the Seas Were Ink: A Memoir, which has been sitting on my bed table looking at me for months. Either The Broken Kingdoms or Into the Drowning Deep for our October read will be next.

message 31: by Leserling (last edited Sep 25, 2019 10:38AM) (new)

Leserling Belana (vorleser) | 53 comments I re-read Paper and Fire, then I read Athena's Choice, The Institute, The Testaments, and The Secret of Pembrooke Park, currently reading Ash and Quill, Erebos2, Das Erwachen, Abaddon's Gate and a couple of non-fiction books.

message 32: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Leserling wrote: "I re-read Paper and Fire, then I read Athena's Choice, The Institute, The Testaments, and [book:The Secret of Pembrooke Park|30112058..."

How are the Great Library books? I was just looking at them online earlier today.

message 33: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 130 comments The Great Library books are MOST DEFINITELY YoungAdult books but they are quite readable as well.

message 34: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

MadProfessah wrote: "The Great Library books are MOST DEFINITELY YoungAdult books but they are quite readable as well."

Good to know, thanks,!

message 36: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I had a rough week, wasn't feeling well, and needed to lose myself in something escapist that wouldn't make me think too hard, so I called in sick yesterday, downloaded The Unkindest Tide and read it in one sitting. I just love Seanan McGuire!

message 37: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Sep 30, 2019 06:31PM) (new)

I finished One Shot by Lee Child, 8/10, fast-paced, far-fetched, but fun in a Jack Reacher-mayhem kind of way.

And then I read Rimrunners by C.J. Cherryh, 7/10. This is a tight, almost claustrophobic story, told entirely from the POV of one Bet Yeager, former Marine, left behind during the Company Wars, eking out an existence on a lonely Hinder Star station. She ends up with a berth and a job on a “spook” ship, and even more problems than she had on Thule station. An awful lot is left unexplained... this book is like a snapshot or a postcard from one small part of a much broader story. Cherryh does both the sweeping stories with a large cast of characters and multiple POVs and plot lines coming together (like in Downbelow Stationor Forty Thousand in Gehenna) and the close-up, more focused stories (like this one and Merchanter's Luck). I don’t know (yet) which I prefer.

I started an audiobook—my first in many, many years! I am listening while I walk before my exercise class 3 times a week, so this may take a while. I had been listening to podcasts, but I thought I would give this a try. Anyway, the book, which I won, is The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar.

And I started A Maiden's Grave by Jeffery Deaver.

message 38: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Finished Macroscope.
Not bad, interesting premise.

Started Crossed Blades

message 39: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

A Maiden's Grave was tense, taut, and twisty. 8/10.

Today I started Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling, Book 1 in her Nightrunner series. I really liked her Tamir Triad, and this takes place in the same world, but hundreds of years later. I have high hopes that this series will also be good.

message 40: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 108 comments Kathi, "Nightrunners" is my guilty pleasure :) . The books are probably in parts not as good as I rate them, but I just love the character cast of those novels.

message 41: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Kathi wrote: "Today I started Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling, Book 1 in her Nightrunner series.."

These books are good, I read the first three which serve as a nice little trilogy. I have yet to read the next four, but they are on my list

message 42: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I am reading the Nightrunner series with another group here at Goodreads. I am about 40% through Luck in the Shadows and so far, I am really enjoying it! I think it will be hard to limit myself to one per month, but if I don’t, I won’t have the book clearly in mind for the discussion. I have to do the same thing here with our series read, even though I want to just dive into the next book! Fortunately, I have plenty of other books in my “to read” queue.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.