Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta-Reader for fun YA (fantasy/contemporary/romance)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Norah (new)

Norah | 4 comments Hi Emi,

I’m a French author and I’ve already published five books in France, including a saga which I decided to translate the first season. It has been translated by an english traductor, then proofreading and now, I would like to find beta reader who can give me her opinion before published it.

Inside Me is an 107k word New Adult book (you can find my profil with different comments in goodreads).

My manuscript is clean and I’m just looking for feedback on general feels, fix grammar and typos if it has to. I've also a several questions list (like ‘Can you see every action clearly while reading?’ ‘Could you feel the emotions between the characters?’ 'Did you understand every phrase / term I used?') Ideally, I’d appreciate feedback by the end of October or early November. Don’t hesitate to let me know if you’re interested and if you’re others questions.

Thank you so so much for you help.

Norah Dove

"Dayton Wyatt has everything going for him. Intelligent,rich, he is the vice president of the biggest company in Houston. He divides his life between his work and his friends. And the girls. With his physique, none has ever resisted him... until her. If anyone had been told him that this girl would change his life forever, he wouldn't have gone to see her at the party. He would never have dared her to kiss him, he wouldn't have embarked on this "f*****g story"!

This girl is Hofree. She is nothing like anyone he has ever known. She doesn't want him and she’s made that very clear. But beneath her strong and confident attitude, she hides a painful past. Becoming sensitive and suspicious, her quest for the ideal man isn't a long, quiet river. All she's looking for is everything he is not. At least, that's what she thinks...

Dayton always controlled everything in his life, but he didn't plan to feel anything for Free. If he wants her, he will have to earn her trust while taking care to hide his biggest secret—the one that would make her flee as far as possible from him... But even if he succeeds, will he be able to overcome his fear of being in a relationship ? And will Free be able to resist the only man she’s ever really been attracted to?"

message 2: by Breonna (new)

Breonna | 41 comments Hey, Emi! I would love to work with you. Please check your email inbox. TIA! :)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Hi there. This is my first novel to write. I am looking for a beta reader to help improve my book. Any help would be appreciated. I wrote a young adult fantasy that is 73,000 words.

A young group of teens goes camping when their plans suddenly change. Magic is released into the world. A team of soldiers tries to save a town from supernatural creatures. Will they survive?

Trigger warning strong language and violence.

If this sounds interesting let me know or you would like more information just let me know. Thank you.

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa S | 8 comments Hello, I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I am looking for some beta readers for my contemporary fantasy YA novel. It's around 88,000 words. I'm sending you an email with a blurb. I'd love to have your feedback. Thank you!

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Andrade (annaandradejb) | 12 comments Hi!

I just finished my first romance (59k words). The thing is english is not my first language, so I'd love to have your help to check If I loose something on the process as well if you do comment about the story (It'd be amazing).

Resume of my novel:

Now Peter Stein is famous. The Miami boy finally got prestige that he was so highly acclaimed for acting. It was his great chance to shine, and the 22-year-old had to follow in the footsteps dictated by his manager not to get lost in fame. Living in LA had its perks, but he didn't have the presence of a new neighbor who loved to party until dawn.
Alexa Riley was the youngest daughter of an award-winning Hollywood director. With her paternal absence supplied by money and a troubled past, she eventually moved out of rehab to a mansion in a somewhat old-fashioned neighborhood, driven by the words of pastors Langdon Stein, Peter's father, and Arthur Clifton, the first's father. Peter's love, Tori.
Alexa's rebellion distorts the environment and, especially, Peter's heart, putting everyone around and his own destiny against the union. The drama puts professional choices as well as friendships to the test in a heart-melting hot romance.

Thank so much.
Anna Andrade (anna.griffiths.lee@gmail.com)

message 6: by Mytchel (new)

Mytchel Chandler (authormytchelchandler) | 42 comments Hello! My name is Mytchel Chandler and I am seeking Beta readers for my 82K word, YA Fantasy novel, titled The Dark and Dangerous Days of Sin Shadow. I am looking for a comprehensive assessment focused on a generalized view of the story. I.e. Narrowing in on plot holes, character inconsistency, etc. Please review the synopsis below and see if it is something you’d be interested in. Looking forward to working with you!
Sin Shadow, a coming of age teen, has found his true calling in life, becoming a baker. But destiny has other plans as he discovers he has the ability to travel through shadows. When he asks his queen for capital in order to open up his bake shop, the Queen gives him an ultimatum; become the ambassador between the two sides of their world, The Land of the Light and the Land of the Dark, and stop the war from happening, or face the front lines.
He is sent to reconcile with King Nyx, the leader of The Land of the Dark, but struggles on his journey as he unearths the meaning behind his newfound abilities. Sin’s mission to harmonize the two lands turns into a desperate race against time when a foreign army from a land beyond the sea threatens to invade.
Not only must he stop the red army from conquering his homeland, garner the trust of two divided nations, parent his winged cat-son, Alonso, and wrestle with the knowledge that he may never own his own bakery, but Sin must find the answer to the question he’s been struggling with his whole life: Where does he belong?

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Hi. This is a young adult fantasy and it is my first manuscript.

A group of teens struggle to survive after magic is released into the world.
While a group of soldiers fight to save a town from supernatural creatures.
They must fight monsters and learn about magic if they are to find safety.

message 8: by Ali (new)

Ali Benice | 116 comments Hi Emi, I've seen your post and wanted to take my chances. Here's my book's query:

In the year 2080, after tasting failure while playing his favourite MMORPG, 14-year-old underachiever Joe comes across a semi-translucent, sepia-coloured man in the middle of his room. Though he panics at first, he eventually figures it out, thinking that sepia man is the holographic operating system he has purchased.

Joe kicks the hologram out of his room. Before long, his mother Lina finds out that sepia man is, in fact, the spirit of Joe’s great-great-great-grandfather who died in the 1880s. He wishes to see the world and know everything that happened after his passing. By his mother’s force, Joe takes him to the submerged family bakery which was left to his father by the ghost himself. On their way, sepia man realizes that the world has gone through natural disasters and is ruled by a capitalistic dystopia. Old skyscrapers are more than halfway below the poisonous, zombie fish lurking seawater, and the sun rays are scorching. Yet still, life goes on as if everything is normal, and the consumer culture is at its peak.

Joe gets mocked by his crush, sepia man harks back to his era, and both have the worst time of their lives and deaths. The ghost soon begins to question the family about wars waged and mass-murdering atomic bombs. The duo talk about the past, books, and being let down by humanity. Joe eventually starts an uprising in his class, thinking he’s been deceived by adults about history throughout his whole life... 

A WEEKEND TRIP FROM THE AFTERLIFE is a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy, with the future, and a ghost. My works have been published thrice and awarded twice in my home country, and this book has been published in Turkey in 2014 (its rights are currently available globally). I believe my MS has similarities to John Boyne's “The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket” and Terry Pratchett’s Johhny books. The dynamic between my two MCs also resembles a light version of the one between Rick and Morty.

Though comedic, my MS raises plenty of questions about the potential outcomes of adult indifference on global warming. Children of ages 11+ who pay attention to such matters would in all likelihood be interested in my novel. It may appeal to boys more than girls since the MC is male.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Cordially,
Ali Benice