Readalongs with Karen discussion

Rereads > What books have you reread?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments I'd love to know people's thoughts on rereading books.Is life too short to reread or do you regularly reread your favourite novels?

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I joined the group Karen. Won't be able to participate in a lot of reads but will when I can.
As to your question, I love a good reread. I have a selection of books that I dive into now and again. Just recently I started to reread The Famous Five books that I loved and cherished growing up. Sometimes a delve back into the past is soothing.

message 3: by Danada (new)

Danada | 19 comments I regularly visit with my old, good friends and often find myself re-visiting new friends if we hit it off. I understand why a lot of people don’t do this.

PattyMacDotComma I don’t regularly reread, but now and then, if I’m reminded of a book and remember that I loved it but not a lot about it, I may try it again. Recently, because Kate Atkinson has written a new Jackson Brodie book, I decided to revisit the previous 4, and I am LOVING them! They are mysteries, in that there is always a murder or disappearance or something, but her books stretch the boundaries of novels with cross-overs of people and time and place.

And I just reread Cannery Row and Of Mice and Men for this group, the latter which I’ve reread before. Good writing is always worth another visit, particularly if you’ve just read a few less-than-wonderful novels or potboilers, just to recalibrate your judgement before moving on to something new!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 24 comments I’m a great rereader of favorite books. Lately I’ve been enjoying experiencing some as audiobooks, where the reading and slower pace sometimes leads to new insights into a book. Lately, I’ve been rereading Agatha Christie, Georgette Heyer, and Patrick O’Brian, and I’m looking forward to rereading Cannery Row which I last read as a teen.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments Teresa wrote: "I joined the group Karen. Won't be able to participate in a lot of reads but will when I can.
As to your question, I love a good reread. I have a selection of books that I dive into now and again...."

Hi Teresa, thanks so much for joining and just join in the discussion whenever you've time. I have kept a pile of my favourite books from my childhood too. One of my favourite's being 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. You always remember the books that turned you into a bookworm : )

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments Jen wrote: "Im not one to reread - I cant think of any that I have."
Hi Jen, I think that too sometimes.The book has got to be very good to reread. My tbr pile is also forever growing !

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments Danada wrote: "I regularly visit with my old, good friends and often find myself re-visiting new friends if we hit it off. I understand why a lot of people don’t do this."
Favourite books are like old friends.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments PattyMacDotComma wrote: "I don’t regularly reread, but now and then, if I’m reminded of a book and remember that I loved it but not a lot about it, I may try it again. Recently, because Kate Atkinson has wri..."
Hi Patty, sometimes you can learn new things from a book when doing a reread. I'm yet to read anything by Kate Atkinson , i have Life After Life

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments Susan wrote: "I’m a great rereader of favorite books. Lately I’ve been enjoying experiencing some as audiobooks, where the reading and slower pace sometimes leads to new insights into a book. Lately, I’ve been r..." Hi Susan, hope you are well? So happy you are joining in the read-along of 'Cannery Row'. Maybe we could read an Agatha Christie book one of the months.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie I have reread The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy.
I am also slowly rereading Agatha Christie mysteries, which I read for the first time in the 90s.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have reread The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy.
I am also slowly rereading Agatha Christie mysteries, which I read for the first tim..."
Hi Rosemarie, wow, you've reread more books than me. What Agatha Christie books are your favourite?

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie It is hard to choose just one, but I do like the Tommy and Tuppence books, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express and most of her earlier works, written in the 20s and 30s.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Karen wrote: "I'd love to know people's thoughts on rereading books.Is life too short to reread or do you regularly reread your favourite novels?"

For me, life’s too short. I don’t reread ever. YMMV

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

So rare for me to re-read, too many other books to be found! But I did re-read Anne of GreenGables this year, and that pushed me to find and read the whole series which was fun. And around once every 10 years I re-read Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge, my all time favourite children's book.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Cooke (Bookish Shenanigans) I hardly ever reread novels but I often find it rewarding when I do, especially when it comes to Austen. I also reread Small Island on audio and loved it so much. I find audiobooks a good way to reread books in general.

message 17: by Danada (last edited Sep 04, 2019 04:26AM) (new)

Danada | 19 comments I just realized we were supposed to give examples :D

I re-read/listen to the Vorkosigan novels by Lois McMaster Bujold fairly regularly.

I discovered the Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome several years ago and have read/listened to them several times already.

I've read Jane Austen's novels several times as well as Jane Eyre.

There are some childhood favorites as well from Tamora Pierce, Beth Hilgartner, The Dark Is Rising Sequence, A Wrinkle in Time, The Chronicles of Narnia.... When I was young I re-read our paperback copy of The Clan of the Cave Bear so many times it fell apart.

Several years ago I discovered the "Granny and Jeb" books (as I call them) by Karen Anna Vogel that I seem to come back to about once a year since then. The books aren't spectacularly written and not amazing in any way.... but there is a peacefulness and simplicity that keeps drawing me back....

I also have a bad habit of re-reading all the previous volumes in a series when the new volumes come out 8-0

message 18: by Mariann (new)

Mariann (mdargusch) | 17 comments I rarely reread books, but sometimes a read along will inspire me. I have read many Jane Austen books again as well as Gone With the Wind, The Awakening, and Confederacy of Dunces.

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments I really like the idea of listening to a favourite book on audio.This is something i've never tried before. After just finishing 'Cannery Row' by John Steinbeck, I would love to reread it in the future.
Childhood favourites seem popular to reread by the sounds of it.

message 20: by Carol Ann (last edited Sep 09, 2019 07:38AM) (new)

Carol Ann (carolann1428) I don't often reread books but a few times a year I'll re-listen to books on audible. My favorite long books are A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving and The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert. I really enjoy listening to the Alexis Carew series by J.A. Sutherland and narrated by Elizabeth Klett. I think the narrations for these books is what truly made me love them. They are all so good!

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindypp) I'm not a rereader at all, but I have reread Their Eyes Were Watching God a number of times since first discovering it 20 years ago in HS. I have also reread Snow Falling on Cedars which I discovered for the first time in the same HS class that had me originally read Their Eyes. Now that I think about it, many of the books read that year for class are ones that have stuck with me.

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 15 comments I'm not much of a re-reader either. But in the 5th grade, there was something about "A Wrinkle in Time" that I could not get enough of. I read it over and over and over and over. All through the 5th grade. That book and also, Judy Blume's "Forever". A bunch of us girls would huddle together in the school library and read certain sections of that book, looking around us and giggling softly.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments Debbie wrote: "I'm not much of a re-reader either. But in the 5th grade, there was something about "A Wrinkle in Time" that I could not get enough of. I read it over and over and over and over. All through the 5t..." Hi Debbie, we must be around the same age, because I loved reading the Judy Blume books when I was a teenager too. 'Forever' was always out on loan in our school library !

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments I re-read a lot! I do think life is short and have a tottering TBR list but I tend to have a couple of reads on the go at the same time. I re-read Trollope, Benson, Barbara Pym, classic favourites. I went though a thing of re-reading Agatha Christie last year but I ran out.

message 25: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments Sarah wrote: "I re-read a lot! I do think life is short and have a tottering TBR list but I tend to have a couple of reads on the go at the same time. I re-read Trollope, Benson, Barbara Pym, classic favourites...." Hi Sarah, thanks so much for joining. Agatha Christie seems a popular choice with many to reread. Feel free to join in our monthly read-along at any time.

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Jane Eyre, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, ALL the In Death series, the Lady Georgiana series, Dracula, Frankenstein...

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen | 162 comments Kirsten wrote: "Jane Eyre, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, ALL the In Death series, the Lady Georgiana series, Dracula, Frankenstein..." Hello dear Kirsten, thanks for recommending these amazing books ! I'd love to do a readalong of Jane Eyre real soon : )

message 28: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 1 comments The shadow of the wind, The Angel's game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Think of a number by John Verdon, The stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths and several Agatha Christie books.

message 29: by Saige (new)

Saige (lannister807) The Iliad by Homer, The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, The Plague by Albert Camus, and Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. I also really want to re-read Red, White, and Royal Blue, but I lent it to a friend and she has yet to return it.

message 30: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine Rodgers (goodreadscomsunshinerodgers) | 1 comments I normally don't reread books. With that said, I have reread "A Tale of Three Kings" by Gene Edwards so many times (It's a short book/a one-sit read!).

One of my favorite books is "The Truth about Forever" by Sarah Dessen and I will take that book on vacation with me. I cannot get enough of that story!

And I do not own audio books... except one. "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge is the perfect nonfiction to play over and over again in the car or talking a walk outside.