Persephone Books discussion

Long Live Great Bardfield: The Autobiography of Tirzah Garwood
This topic is about Long Live Great Bardfield
Long Live Great Bardfield > Long Live Great Bardfield: The Autobiography of Tirzah Garwood STARTING Discussion questions/thoughts

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Happy September all and thanks to everyone that joined in the read-along of 'High Wages' by Dorothy Whipple.
This month we will be reading Susan's choice of Long Live Great Bardfield: The Autobiography of Tirzah Garwood and mid-month Toast's choice of 'Cheerful Weather for the Wedding' by Julia Strachey ( which I will make a seperate thread for)
Happy Reading : )
Karen and Gina xx

message 2: by Susan (last edited Sep 01, 2019 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susan | 166 comments I’m looking forward to reading Long Live Great Bardfield this month and looking at pictures of the author and her husband’s artwork.

BTW, I listened to the audiobook of Cheerful Weather for the Wedding last month and highly recommend the reading by Miriam Margolyes which was delightful—she did a fabulous job interpreting all the characters

message 3: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 84 comments About to start :O)

message 4: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 351 comments Mod
This book is on my Christmas wishlist so i'm hoping Santa will deliver it so I can join in the discussion soon.

Tania | 221 comments I've started this one, not far in yet. I ordered mine from Persephone and as well as the book, they have sent me a postcard print of The Aunt, a woodgraving by Tirzah Garwood, which was nice.

Susan | 166 comments I just started this and am enjoying her conversational tone and sense of humor. I also appreciate all the illustrations and photos that have been included. Found this article online about an exhibition of her work with some more examples: https://www.culture24.org.uk/art/pain...

message 7: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I just started this and am enjoying her conversational tone and sense of humor. I also appreciate all the illustrations and photos that have been included. Found this article online about an exhibi..." Hi Susan, thanks for sharing this article. I love her work very much.

message 8: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Tania wrote: "I've started this one, not far in yet. I ordered mine from Persephone and as well as the book, they have sent me a postcard print of The Aunt, a woodgraving by Tirzah Garwood, which was nice." Happy reading Tania. I hope to get to this one soon because I love her art very much

Susan | 166 comments My reading got into the weeds a bit this month, and I’m just getting back to this one. The author/artist has a very engaging tone and honesty, maybe because she was writing for her children.

message 10: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 84 comments I’m behind too and hoping to get back to it in a day or two!
Thanks for that link - I really like her art!

Susan | 166 comments I’m still (slowly) reading and enjoying this autobiography. The author has a great memory and so many interesting stories to tell about the people she encounters—it’s a very engaging read, but not a quick one, at least for me.

Tania | 221 comments I'm still reading too. I think her strengths were as an artist, not a writer. I like reading about her life and friends etc, but it all seems a bit dry. Particularly when she describes the scene where she has to choose between Eric and her other suitor, there was no sense of emotion. This is why I have been reading slowly, I still want to get to the end, though.

Susan | 166 comments This book got put aside for a couple weeks, but I’ve picked it up again and am enjoying reading a couple pages a day. She has so many little anecdotes. I liked this one about their cleaning lady and her husband, Eric Ravilious: “We found that she couldn’t resist the temptation of finishing off any bottles (of beer) that Eric left about. As it was her only weakness and she never took very much, Eric enjoyed leaving her small quantities and nothing was said.”

message 14: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "This book got put aside for a couple weeks, but I’ve picked it up again and am enjoying reading a couple pages a day. She has so many little anecdotes. I liked this one about their cleaning lady an..." I hope to get to this one next year. I love her art very much.

Susan | 166 comments I’m still reading and am hoping to finish this year. For anyone else interested in TG, I found this article with art by many of the artists mentioned in the book including TG: https://museumcrush.org/is-there-anyt...