Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Genuine Lies
This topic is about Genuine Lies
Book Discussions > Genuine Lies - September 2019 Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5743 comments Mod
A book to die for...

Eve Benedict is the last of the movie goddesses, a smoky-voiced sex symbol with two Oscars, four ex-husbands, and a legion of lovers to her name. There is no secret, no scandal she doesn't know. Now Eve has decided to write her memoirs--no holds barred. All Hollywood begs her not to. But Eve has her reasons....

Julia Summers is the biographer Eve has handpicked to tell her story. Transported from her quiet life in Connecticut to glitzy Beverly Hills, Julia hates the limelight but loves her work--and the home it built for the ten-year-old son she's raising alone. How can she refuse this chance of a lifetime?

But Eve's elegantly sexy stepson, Paul Winthrop, will challenge Eve's determination to tell her story--and Julia's resolve to guard her heart. And as Julia learns just how far Eve's enemies will go to keep her book from publication, she also discovers that Eve has one last, dark secret to share. It is one that will change Julia's life--and could cut it brutally short.

I’ve not read this book!

Talya | 719 comments Mod
OMG you are in for a treat! Julia and Paul have awesome chemistry and strength. And Eve is fierce and amazing.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments I've got it and look forward to reading it.

Nikki ♥ | 283 comments I haven't read this one either! Really looking forward to it.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (wanna_read_all_the_books) | 260 comments I read it years ago, back in the late 90s I think but I'm looking forward to reading it again and checking it off of my list. Just requested it from the library.

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 673 comments Mod
I haven't read this book either. I'm about to start it now.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments I'm about 75% through and it's a long, drawn out narrative.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 571 comments Finished it. Love it.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela | 3 comments I haven't read this in a long time and I'm about to start a road trip. I may have to join along!

I’m starting it now.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 164 comments Wow great! I loved it much more than I expecter after the first 3 of 4 chapters.
I hope I won't be too tired when I'm back in the evening and will post more of my thoughts (as long as my licence for the library ebook is valid and I can access it)

I’m not very far in and already hooked!

Talya | 719 comments Mod
Yay Jonetta! Eve is still my fave in this book.

message 16: by Agnieszka (last edited Oct 01, 2019 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 164 comments I was too tired to think the last few days, and only thought afterwards I could've transfer the relevant passages. So now without any quotes.
I had several times the feeling I was in the wrong story: some of the descriptions of the female MC, Eve's house felt like reading an In Death book and I started to wonder if Nora Roberts was already working on that series (Nacked in Death was published four or five years later). I doubt any of you can answer it but that thought distracted me pretty much for most of the book.

I had the general idea of the perp worked out correctly only the wrong person I was convinced it's someone pretty close to Eve, most likely a long time friend and almost from the beginning was convinced it was Maggie, though I started to suspect Nina after learning Eve was behind closed doors of the guest cottage and reminded how Eve got keys to her nephew's home.

Paul, Drake & Travis were too obvious and so very unlikely, Victor didn't fit for me; Delrickio was a possibility with an inside man but somehow didn't work for me

Apart from the celebrity and movie wold aspect I enjoyed the book very much and liked the development of the relationship between Julia & Paul and how much he liked Brandon.

My favorite twist was the fact Eve was Julia's biological mother. I suspected she gave a child away pretty early in the story but didn't link Julia's adoption and this fact so the bulb went on rather late.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 571 comments Why did you remove the Spoiler? I thought we were in the spoiler zone.. and yes I thought Eve in this book could be a prelude to the Eve in “ Naked In Death “

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1228 comments I didn't get the "In Death" vibe. This Eve wasn't nearly as take charge, kick a-- as Eve Dallas. Looking at all the suspects, I picked Nina primarily because she had opportunity. Didn't know her motive, but she was the only one who fit.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 164 comments Barbara "Cookie" wrote: "Why did you remove the Spoiler? I thought we were in the spoiler zone.. and yes I thought Eve in this book could be a prelude to the Eve in “ Naked In Death “"

Sorry - just habit. I removed them.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 164 comments Anita wrote: "I didn't get the "In Death" vibe. This Eve wasn't nearly as take charge, kick a-- as Eve Dallas..."

I didn't think/get this feeling about Eve but Julia. She was this independent woman thrust into the rich world and even if she fighted it in the beginning she got used to it (at least to the point she didn't struggle too much anymore) and the man she felt in love with was at least in the beginning one of the suspects/vocal opponents. When she knew him better she was sure he wouldn't hurt her (or her son) even if she couldn't prove it at first. Plus beeing adopted she didn't know her 'origin' and had to come to terms with the truth once she learnt it.
I hope it makes sense that way.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 326 comments I loved this book! I didn't really compare Eve or Julia with Eve from ID. I think NR just writes about really strong women...Nina only crossed my mind from process of elimination. Drake was a suspect for me for a while but not for long.

I finished this last night and really enjoyed it. Thanks to whomever recommended it.

Hmmm...not feeling the In Death connection. Yes, Eve Benedict has a strong personality but is nothing like, Eve Dallas (love that she later gave her this name). Julia is a completely different character with a healthy upbringing and self confident in every way except with men. Never once drew a parallel.

The romance, though, had a little dated feel with Paul being a bit grabby😏 And, there was quite a bit of smoking going on. Otherwise, I enjoyed the story, especially Eve’s stories of her relationships.

I guessed early on that Julia was Eve’s daughter. I don’t recall what tipped me off, maybe just how much Eve was trying to get to know her. Then when it was mentioned that Victor had gray eyes, I knew.

I was suspicious of Nina from the very beginning. Her past was too murky and I wasn’t totally buying her absolute devotion to Eve.

Drake, Anthony Kincaid and Delrickio were just too obvious though I was pretty certain Delrickio was going to kill Drake. Lyle was too stupid.