Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Spark - The Court of Broken Knives [Oct 20, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
The Court of Broken Knives - Anna Smith Spark
The Court of Broken Knives (Empires of Dust #1) by Anna Smith Spark
October 20, 2019.
Requested by Bea and Shaitarn.

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

I'm in for this one! I have the book sitting on my shelf already. :)

message 3: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15525 comments I saw this thread and my first thought was "this doesn't sound like Nicholas Sparks"... then I see the author is Spark and not Sparks, anyway :)

Book sounds interesting, tho...

message 4: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments I will try to join this, time allowing! :)

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I saw this thread and my first thought was "this doesn't sound like Nicholas Sparks"... then I see the author is Spark and not Sparks, anyway :)

Book sounds interesting, tho..."

Haha! I'm sure it will be very romantic :p

message 6: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Timelord Iain wrote: "I saw this thread and my first thought was "this doesn't sound like Nicholas Sparks"... then I see the author is Spark and not Sparks, anyway :)

Book sounds interesting, tho..."

Hahaha edited the thread name - oops!

message 7: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1883 comments Marking my place - and thank you, Jenna!

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Shaitarn wrote: "Marking my place - and thank you, Jenna!"

You're welcome :)

message 9: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1883 comments I think I'm going to start a few hours early. And keep a notebook handy, so I have points to make this time!

message 10: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1883 comments After a rather shaky start, I'm really getting into this now.

Part One: (view spoiler)

Part 2, up to chapter 25: (view spoiler)

Chapter 26-27: (view spoiler)

Do you think this is grimdark? It's gritty right enough, but I'm not sure I'd class it as grimdark.

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments I'll be starting this a little late. I have not been feeling well the last few days and couldn't find much energy to read...

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Shaitarn wrote: "After a rather shaky start, I'm really getting into this now.

Part One: I wasn't keen on the mercenary band at first, but they're beginning to grow on me; the fact that their numbers are being w..."

I believe this has a pretty high grimdark rating on Mark Lawrence's grimdark poll? That was actually what initially got me interested in it, so I'm curious to see how dark it really is. To me, just grittiness alone doesn't make a book grimdark, it's more about the atmosphere and the worldview in combination with gritty realism

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Bea wrote: "I'll be starting this a little late. I have not been feeling well the last few days and couldn't find much energy to read..."

I'm also going to be a bit late because my current paperback is taking more time to read than I anticipated.

message 14: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 15525 comments I'm going to read this later today...

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Can I join you guys? I need to write a review for this one so I'll reread. Just let me know when you all start it.

message 16: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Laura wrote: "Can I join you guys? I need to write a review for this one so I'll reread. Just let me know when you all start it."

I think you can start whenever :) Shairtarn has already started, but the rest of us are all behind schedule.