Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

City of Lies (Poison Wars, #1)
This topic is about City of Lies
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Hawke - City of Lies [Oct 10, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
City of Lies - Sam Hawke
City of Lies (Poison Wars, #1) by Sam Hawke
October 10, 2019.
Requested by Anny and Bea.

message 2: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 2052 comments In

message 3: by Anny (last edited Sep 02, 2019 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anny | 241 comments I bought this a while ago, so excited to finally get to read it :)

Anny | 241 comments Started a few days ago. There's an interesting tidbits about their culture in chapter 2.

Kalina said (view spoiler)

The culprit (view spoiler)

message 5: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 2052 comments 4 chapters in

(view spoiler)

I'd like to have a map of the city. It seems to have an interesting layout but I have a hard time visualizing how it is really structured.

message 6: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 2052 comments Anny wrote: "Started a few days ago. There's an interesting tidbits about their culture in chapter 2.
"

(view spoiler)

Anny | 241 comments Bea wrote: "4 chapters in

I'm liking that Jovan is not an assassin but somebody who protects from poison. Fantasy seems to be so overcrowded with assassins already.
At first I found it a littke weird and anno..."

It was a very well prepared rebellion. The culprit(s) have orchestrated things so that most of the soldiers are sent away from the city and cutting off the communication was crucial too. Because the city was protected from all sides, no one actually think there was a need to leave more than the minimum amount of guards needed. But yeah, for a big sized city I would expect a bit more than two dozens guard. Maybe 50ish would be more appropriate? Not that a few dozens would make much difference anyway.

Anny | 241 comments Almost halfway through and I think the story is getting quite draggy. (view spoiler)

Anny | 241 comments Chapter 18 - Finally, some progress!

(view spoiler)

message 10: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 17366 comments Mod
Gonna start this later today...

message 11: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 2052 comments I'm still only up to chapter 21. I've been struggling with health issues last week and couldn't find much energy to read.
I agree that it's definitely dragging in the middle!
(view spoiler)

message 12: by Anny (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anny | 241 comments @Bea I'm sorry to hear that. Of course you should focus on recuperating properly. Books can always wait :)

I'm finished already and I do think this has potential to be a good book. If only the author focused on the better part instead of dragging the story in the middle. The last part was quite fast paced and engaging to read so it's a shame that the middle part was so draggy.

message 13: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 2052 comments I've actually decided to dnf this a few days ago but didn't update here on the thread.
I can't continue with this book, I just can't. Not because I really dislike it so much, but the last two weeks have been so horrible and the book somehow seems to have soaked up the negativity, so picking it up is making me feel really unhappy.

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 2 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7540 comments Mod
Bea I hope you feel better. <3

message 15: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea | 2052 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Bea I hope you feel better. <3"

Thank you!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Lies (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sam Hawke (other topics)