Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
This topic is about The Dragon Republic
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Kuang - The Dragon Republic [Sep 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
The Dragon Republic - R.F. Kuang
The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2) by R.F. Kuang
September 25, 2019.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments I am interested but let's see.

message 3: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm in for this one! :) Accidentally forgot to put the first BR in my tracker and completely forgot.

message 4: by Timelord Iain (last edited Sep 04, 2019 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 14725 comments Got my copy ready, finally...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1047 comments Oh, I need to get this!

Shae | 372 comments Yes, keen to try and make this one :-)

Timelord Iain | 14725 comments Forgot about this... good thing I checked the Master List... will read this in the next few days...

message 8: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain wrote: "Forgot about this... good thing I checked the Master List... will read this in the next few days..."

Ack, me too. Will also start reading this weekend. :)

Shae | 372 comments Haha, me too, will start this weekend also :-)

message 10: by Silvana (last edited Sep 27, 2019 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Oh, I did not realizeforgot there's a BR. Cool, I have just started the audio. Will take longer, though.

Yanique Gillana | 827 comments I finished this recently, and I loved the plot, the magic, and how the author expanded on the world, but the characterization of Rin just went down the toilet IMO.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments I am only in chapter 4 and Rin was annoying and super whiny. Let's hope she gets better.

I enjoyed the audio narration though.

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana wrote: "I am only in chapter 4 and Rin was annoying and super whiny. Let's hope she gets better.

I enjoyed the audio narration though."

I might do this book on audio so that's good to know!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Chapter 11

Almost laughed when reading about (view spoiler)

Amanda R | 24 comments Damn. My library hold is still several weeks out or I would join. Just finished The Poppy War last night

message 16: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "I am only in chapter 4 and Rin was annoying and super whiny. Let's hope she gets better.

Up to chapter 7 - so far I'm not devouring it, like I did The Poppy War, but it is holding my interest :-) Agree with Silvana that Rin is pretty annoying at the moment! (view spoiler)

Was pleased to see the return of (view spoiler)

message 17: by Silvana (last edited Oct 02, 2019 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I am only in chapter 4 and Rin was annoying and super whiny. Let's hope she gets better.

Up to chapter 7 - so far I'm not devouring it, like I did The Poppy War, but it is holding ..."

I love both (view spoiler)

Up too chapter 13
We met (view spoiler)

And I am not sure about (view spoiler)

message 18: by Shae (last edited Oct 02, 2019 04:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "Up to chapter 13......"

Up to chapter 14: (view spoiler)

message 19: by Silvana (last edited Oct 02, 2019 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Up to chapter 13......"

Up to chapter 14."

Up to chapter 20

(view spoiler)

On theology (view spoiler)

message 20: by Shae (last edited Oct 04, 2019 06:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "Up to chapter 20......"

Up to chapter 21 - goodness, things are starting to get intense! (view spoiler)

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I am only in chapter 4 and Rin was annoying and super whiny. Let's hope she gets better.

Up to chapter 7 - so far I'm not devouring it, like I did The Poppy War, but it is holding ..."

Also up to chapter 7 and I am definitely agreeing (view spoiler).

So far, I'm also not loving the audio narration. It's okay, but IMO it's not great.

message 22: by Silvana (last edited Oct 04, 2019 04:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Up to chapter 20......"

"

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Jenna wrote: "Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I am only in chapter 4 and Rin was annoying and super whiny. Let's hope she gets better.

Up to chapter 7 - so far I'm not devouring it, like I did The Poppy War, but i..."

It did take a while for me to get used to the narration. Now I am enjoying it.

Also, I speed it up a bit to 1.25x.

Timelord Iain | 14725 comments Finally started... I'll jump on the Rin is whiny and annoying bandwagon...

Narration sounds the same as Poppy War... I'll say the narrator really gets that whiny quality across in her narration, lol...

message 25: by Timelord Iain (last edited Oct 03, 2019 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 14725 comments Silvana wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I am only in chapter 4 and Rin was annoying and super whiny. Let's hope she gets better.

Up to chapter 7 - so far I'm not devouring it, like I did The Po..."

I'm listening at 2x speed... it's really hard to slow down anymore... anything slower feels like molasses with long syllables and longer pauses...

message 26: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm also listening at 2x speed - hopefully I'll get used to it soon. I'm on chapter 9 now and things are starting to pick up a bit in terms of plot. I hope that will help. :)

message 27: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments You guys are amazing! - I'm not sure that my auditory processing skills could keep up with listening at those speeds :-)

Timelord Iain | 14725 comments I've actually been using the Audible app more and more, and am trying 2.5x speed right now... not sure how good of an idea listening to books at 2.5x / 3x / 3.5x is, because anything I listen to in Hoopla and iBooks is capped at 2x speed, and the last thing I need is for that to start sounding slow...

Yanique Gillana | 827 comments @Iain 3.5x is definitely what I do on audible. I’m kinda sad Libby only lets me go up to 3x. I didn’t listen to this one though, I really don’t want to imagine Rin’s annoying self in audio....

message 30: by Silvana (last edited Oct 04, 2019 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "You guys are amazing! - I'm not sure that my auditory processing skills could keep up with listening at those speeds :-)"

damn right

and by the way.....chapter 24
(view spoiler)

message 31: by Shae (last edited Oct 04, 2019 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Up to chapter 28 - so much is happening!

(view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "Up to chapter 28 - so much is happening!

..."

Whoa what what (view spoiler)

message 33: by Silvana (last edited Oct 04, 2019 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Chapter 33
Kitay (view spoiler)

Nezha, (view spoiler)

Daji (view spoiler)

message 34: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "Shae wrote: "Up to chapter 28 - so much is happening!

..."

Whoa what what [spoilers removed]"

Oh it's really gross! (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Shae wrote: "Up to chapter 28 - so much is happening!

..."

Whoa what what [spoilers removed]"

Oh it's really gross! [spoilers removed]"

Oh eww.

Well, it happened in the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the infamous (view spoiler)

message 36: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Silvana - Ah yes, I'd forgotten that happened in ASOIAF - hopefully in time I'll be able eat dumplings again :-)

message 37: by Timelord Iain (last edited Oct 05, 2019 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 14725 comments I'm listening to this in fits and starts, mostly at home... I don't think I would have read this right now, if not for the BR... I dunno why... similar to how I still haven't read Monster Baru Cormorant...

message 38: by Silvana (last edited Oct 05, 2019 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments I finished yesterday and before I forget everything since I am now in the First Law realm (haha), I just want to say I liked this novel slightly better than the Poppy War. More compact, focused, with some interesting insights not just Rin but also other characters surrounding her.

I liked that it is all grey and greyer everytime we were exposed to a character and their motivation. I liked that it is hard to choose side, if and how.

I do have some issues with (view spoiler)

And then the angsty (view spoiler)

message 39: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "I finished yesterday and before I forget everything since I am now in the First Law realm (haha), I just want to say I liked this novel slightly better than the Poppy War. More compact, focused....."

Yep, stayed up late last night to finish this (and I've also just started the audio book for A Little Hatred, lol!). Whoa, the last few chapters were pretty intense.

Final thoughts:(view spoiler)

All in all a pretty solid read - I've given this 4/5 stars. Can't wait to see where all this is going to go!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I finished yesterday and before I forget everything since I am now in the First Law realm (haha), I just want to say I liked this novel slightly better than the Poppy War. More comp..."

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I finished yesterday and before I forget everything since I am now in the First Law realm (haha), I just want to say I liked this novel slightly better than the Poppy War..."

Yes (view spoiler)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I finished yesterday and before I forget everything since I am now in the First Law realm (haha), I just want to say I liked this novel slightly better ..."

Chaghan (view spoiler)

Do you think Rin (view spoiler)

message 43: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Silvana - Oh, that's a good thought about Chaghan!

(Haha yes, I always get stumped with the spelling of names if I'm listening to stories via Audible. Kindle version spelling; Sorqan Sira :-)

I'm very curious about the relationship between gods and shamans too - I reckon you're right, this could be a feature in the next book :-)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Sorqan Siraaaa.....Thanks :D

Hey I might miss another thing (sorry) do you know why (view spoiler)

message 45: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments Silvana wrote: "Sorqan Siraaaa.....Thanks :D

Hey I might miss another thing (sorry) do you know why [spoilers removed]"

Ah yes, (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14725 comments I'll catch up on comments, and articulate better later... but I finally finished, and completely agree with Yanique... I didn't like this one as much as the first, but the ending makes me want to read the last book alot...

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1763 comments Shae wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Sorqan Siraaaa.....Thanks :D

Hey I might miss another thing (sorry) do you know why [spoilers removed]"

Ah yes, [spoilers removed]"

Thank you so much, don't know what I'd do without you :)

message 48: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Iain - Yes, that ending really makes you want to find out what will happen next :-)

@Silvana - Lol, happy to help :-)

message 49: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain wrote: "I'll catch up on comments, and articulate better later... but I finally finished, and completely agree with Yanique... I didn't like this one as much as the first, but the ending makes me want to r..."

I also need to catch up on comments; I haven't been on GR the past few days. I also didn't love it as much as the first, but I still really enjoyed it once I got into it.

message 50: by Shae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shae | 372 comments @Jenna - Yeah, I didn't tear through this one like I did the first book, but did get into it and enjoy it too :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dragon Republic (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

R.F. Kuang (other topics)