Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > September Purchases 2019

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Share your September book buys here.

message 2: by Betsy (last edited Sep 01, 2019 09:07AM) (new)

Betsy Artillery of the Napoleonic Wars by Kevin E. Kiley

Tempestuous Genius by Richard Freeman

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy MACARTHUR'S WAR by Stanley Weintraub

message 4: by Dimitri (new)

Dimitri | 109 comments 4 books ordered out of 1600 to choose from. I call it restraint.
Austria-Hungary is always listed in bibliographies by such centennial greats as Margaret MacMillan & Christopher Clark so... Hungary at War is a more recent wantee since I got back from Budapest. "Passage through Armageddon"...I actually had a copy ! but it was purged 10 years ago in a delusional "I'll never reach WWI on such a hardcore level" together with a major biography of Horatio Kitchener etc...silly, fed-up, post-thesis 20s me...

Hungary at War Civilians and Soldiers in World War II by Cecil D. Eby Hungary at War: Civilians and Soldiers in World War IIbyCecil D. Eby
Austria-Hungary and the Origins of the First World War by Samuel R. Williamson Jr. Austria-Hungary and the Origins of the First World WarbySamuel R. Williamson Jr.
Verdun by Philippe Pétain(1929)
Passage Through Armageddon The Russians in War & Revolution 1914-18 by W. Bruce Lincoln Passage Through Armageddon: The Russians in War & Revolution 1914-18byW. Bruce Lincoln

message 5: by Joshie (new)

Joshie (jgabcdefg) | 17 comments September buys for the month:

East of Eden by John Steinbeck Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison The Emigrants by W.G. Sebald Near to the Wild Heart by Clarice Lispector Thirst by Mary Oliver Malina by Ingeborg Bachmann

I'm currently reading of Song of Solomon. I'm nearly finished and it's possibly one of the greatest books I've read. Will definitely follow it with Lispector's Near To The Wild Heart.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments Just attended an author conversation and signing, so I was able to get my copies of Everything I Never Told You and Little Fires Everywhere signed.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles has been on my to-read list forever, so I was glad to finally get a copy of that as well.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang And while I was getting things signed, I had to do some extra book shopping as well. I'd already read these, but have been meaning to add them to my library for a while because the stories have stuck with me.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Squires | 15 comments Eggshell Skull by Bri Lee