EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS > Where the Crawdads Sing - Pre-Read

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 1154 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the September 2019 Modern Classic/Popular group read Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens.

*Spoilers are not allowed!* Please see the SPOILERS thread for the spoiler discussion.

Who plans to join this read? Will it be your first time or a reread? What's drawing you to this book?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Cunningham | 14 comments I know we voted on this for the September read but I couldn’t wait! I’ve wanted to read this one for a while. I can’t believe its taken me so long. I was drawn to it because of the title first - what a great title! I’m also a sucker for Southern fiction anyway, and As soon as I knew it was set in the coastal marsh it was a must-read.

message 3: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 536 comments I waited for this book for months from the library and got it a couple weeks ago. If I knew how much I would like it, I wouldn't have waited, I would have bought my own copy.

I started with the audio and it was lovely, but it might be too quiet for some. I finished with the book, which went much faster. I loved it. I'll discuss more in the spoiler section.

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I am with you Nancy. This book was one of the best things I read in a long time. I loved the main char. It ris something I will read over and over again.

message 5: by Brittni (new)

Brittni Viskochil Crawford I'm still waiting for my copy from the library...6 months to go! I'm pretty excited to read it as I have heard it's really good!

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 973 comments I think that I'm going to have to wait until this comes around in the Bookshelf Catch-Up reads. I don't feel drawn to it, and there's no way I have time to read it this month.

message 7: by Nell (new)

Nell | 426 comments Started reading this on my return trip. It's a captivating story. The protagonist is so unique.

message 8: by Shamitha (new)

Shamitha Surendran Am starting this... It will be the first time I read something like this keeping in mind the hype.

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinaiam) | 3 comments I recently finished this one and am excited to see the discussions around it.

message 10: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 16 comments I am half way through - it happens to be my work book club choice too. There appears to be some controversy about the author that came out in July - google it.

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinaiam) | 3 comments Brooklyn wrote: "I am half way through - it happens to be my work book club choice too. There appears to be some controversy about the author that came out in July - google it."

oh my! That certainly makes the story that much more interesting. How peculiar.

message 12: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I loved this book! It was my favorite of last year!

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 3 comments Just started - so far I’m having a hard time staying engaged, I hope it’s not one of those books that is hyped up yet I find disappointing

message 14: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 16, 2019 01:57PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 536 comments Stacey wrote: "Just started - so far I’m having a hard time staying engaged, I hope it’s not one of those books that is hyped up yet I find disappointing"

I think I restarted it a couple times before I really got into it, and then I really loved it. It has a slower pace than most books that make the best seller lists. I enjoyed trying to see the world from Kya's point of view. I started with the audio book, and the narration is perfect. The southern accent is soft, and easy to understand. I hope you can stick with it a bit longer, but it might just not be your cup of tea.

message 15: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 16 comments Kristina wrote: "Brooklyn wrote: "I am half way through - it happens to be my work book club choice too. There appears to be some controversy about the author that came out in July - google it."

oh my! That certai..."

yes - really strange - though i find I'm still enjoying the book regardless

message 16: by Carmen (new)

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 60 comments I started the audio yesterday, and just sped it up to 1,5x because it was just too slow for me. I'm enjoying it, but I'm still waiting for that 'wow-factor' you know? I love Kya, that's one thing that's for sure, and the narrator is great!

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexlanius) | 1 comments Finally started reading this over the weekend. It’s been on my “want to read” list so I decided to buy it for this months group read! Hope I can finish by the end of the month.

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 973 comments In my real life book club ppl were mentioning how much they enjoyed it, and that they were reading it on their own, not for a group.

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Where the Crawdads Sing (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Delia Owens (other topics)