EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

Lolita
This topic is about Lolita
CLASSICS READS > Lolita - Pre-Read

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine | 1152 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the September 2019 Classics group read Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

*Spoilers are not allowed!* Please see the SPOILERS thread for the spoiler discussion.

Who plans to join this read? Will it be your first time or a reread? What's drawing you to this book?

message 2: by Clarissa (new) - added it

Clarissa (clarissalarissa) | 5 comments This is the first time I’ll be reading this book. I have never seen the movie but have always heard about it and remember when it came out...it was taboo. So I’m interested in reading this since I only know vaguely what it is about.

message 3: by Nitz (new) - added it

Nitz | 9 comments This is my first time reading it as well. I had always wanted to read it because it is always talked about as being taboo but didn't really know why until recently. Then I kept putting it off since I am not sure if the theme of the book is considered "acceptable" in the novel. But I am going to give it a try as the BOTM and see how that goes.

message 4: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 03, 2019 05:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 536 comments I found this at an outdoor book sale when I was around 14-15 years old. I knew it was racy, but the concept wasn't as shocking as it might be to a 14 year old today. In my generation, Manhattan was a hit movie, even though the lead character was dating a teenager in the film. (A few years later, our awareness changed and Woody Allen was vilified for another relationship.)

I thought the book was incredible. It was more about obsession than sex I believe. I don't remember it as being explicit at all.

Renee (elenarenee) It is a beautifully written but very disturbing book. It puts you inside of the mind of a depraved individual. It shows you how someone justifies behavior that most find repellent. The scary thing for me about this book is how reasonable his way of thinking sounded as you read it. I would reckoned this book. It is a creepy but good read

message 6: by John (new) - added it

John Anakwenze | 18 comments I have just started reading this and so far i feel the writing is beautiful. I will continue to delve into it with some unease and apprehension.

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 813 comments Mod
Clarissa and Nitz, it's an interesting comment to note, how we all (generally) know that when the book/movie came out it was a taboo, yet we don't know what the book is actually about!

NancyJ, it's interesting that you say the concept would be more shocking to a teenager today. Why is that, do you think?

Renee and John, I like the way you describe the feeling the book gives you, how the writing is beautiful and in some ways that adds to the creepiness of it, as you want to continue reading!

I have wanted to read this for a long time because of what has been said, and I'm looking forward even more now that I've read your comments.

Jonathan K (nuance4u) Lolita was mentioned several times in my writing course and like many of the classics is a book I need to check out and read, though I'm well aware of the story which in today's culture isn't nearly as taboo when it was originally written. Regardless Nabokov is a master storyteller and those like myself working on the craft must study his technique of engagement

Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen) (thereadingtrashqueen) | 60 comments Lolita has been on my TBR since the moment I found out it was a book. The song 'Moi Lolita' was a huge hit here and when I found out what it was based on.. I just knew I had to read it, no matter how wrong/disgusting/taboo/etc. When I found this group and saw that Lolita was the book for the upcoming month, I knew this was my time.

I'm about to start it, on audio, and I am very curious to see what I'll think of it. I am incredibly open in my views on love and relationships, and age gaps, as long as all is consensual and the younger individual is old enough to know what they're doing and consenting to- which is different for everyone.

Soyes, I'm excited! Let's do this :D

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 543 comments I've seen the movie, but never read the book. I think the writing is gorgeous, and it brilliantly reflects Humbert's feelings of prim superiority despite his perverted desire. The author is very sly. He knows he is not making Humbert very appealing to readers, purposefully. Simply brilliant.

message 11: by Renata (last edited Aug 01, 2021 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renata (renatag) | 459 comments Mod
Hello Readers!
This is the Pre-Read thread for the September 2021 Catch-up selection. This month we will be reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov for the second time.

Please note that this is a SPOILER FREE discussion.

Who's planning to join in on this read? Is this a first-time read, or a re-read of an old favorite? What are your expectations in picking this book up?

message 12: by Li (new) - rated it 1 star

Li He I'll join in on this read. This is my first time to read this book. I have the book on my bookshelf and this is an opportunity to tick off this book on my to-be-read list.

message 13: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin (robinsreads) | 7 comments This will be my first time reading this book.

I have always wanted to read it ever since I heard it was one of the infamous “banned books” back in high school. I did also recently read My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell, which references Lolita quite frequently within it.

I just put a hold on it from the library and I should have it on time to start.

Shaneka Knight | 102 comments I will not be joining but great book, do enjoy!

message 15: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 28 comments I'm actually reading The Real Lolita: The Kidnapping of Sally Horner and the Novel that Scandalized the World and Nabokov's less popular first version pedophilic obsession The Enchanter. I'm much more interested in the understanding the thoughts of adults reading a novel that romanticizes pedophilia to feed "scandalous" literature inspired by the kidnapping and cross country abduction of an 11 year old. SO while I'm not reading this book Im very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Elysa (ebees) | 3 comments I'm appreciative of the opportunity to read this book with those who are reading. It's been on and off my tbr for several years as I've judged it quite heavily. However, I feel it's important to challenge oneself and make oneself uncomfortable sometimes. And I expect to be pretty uncomfortable!

message 17: by Woman Reading (last edited Sep 05, 2021 01:06PM) (new) - added it

Woman Reading | 317 comments I've had this on my TBR for a couple of years so I'm glad to get a nudge here. I have also just finished my second nonfiction this year about Russian politics, so it's more interesting to have that little insight about Russians and then read this Russian author's novel.

message 18: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa (mkk2715) | 68 comments Newly wrote: "I'm actually reading The Real Lolita: The Kidnapping of Sally Horner and the Novel that Scandalized the World and Nabokov's less popular first version pedophilic obsession [book:The..."

While searching for a copy of Lolita, I also came across this book and plan to listen to it on audio this month as well. Hopefully it will prove interesting to compare the two.

message 19: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa (mkk2715) | 68 comments I have my copy on hold but probably won't get it until the end of the month. This will be my first time reading it. Despite the disturbing topic, I'm glad it's on our list. It was heavily referenced in My Dark Vanessa and I've been interested in reading it ever since completing that book earlier this year.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 543 comments Renee wrote: "It is a beautifully written but very disturbing book. It puts you inside of the mind of a depraved individual. It shows you how someone justifies behavior that most find repellent. The scary thing ..."

Agree completely.

Shaneka Knight | 102 comments A very disturbing book, I won't be reading along but do enjoy it for those who do. I love this book, I read it when I was 15 and it set me up to read 'darker' literature.

Ananya | 29 comments I might join on this one, wanted to read for ages but was putting it off due to its disturbing content. Looking forward to the discussion. :)

message 23: by vally (new) - added it

vally | 1 comments I'm excited to read this month, does anyone want to be reading buddies? You can dm me on Instagram @/ valentina.gutierrrez to be buddies. Let me know!!!

message 24: by Li (new) - rated it 1 star

Li He As a language learner, I find there are quite some words in the book that are a bit recherché.

Renata (renatag) | 459 comments Mod
I'm just about to start reading this classic. I expect to be disturbed by the content, but maybe there's some empathy and understanding to be gained as well. We'll see...