Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

An Inspector Calls
This topic is about An Inspector Calls
Archive Plays > 2019 September: An Inspector Calls by JB Priestley

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (last edited Sep 01, 2019 05:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lesle | 7555 comments Mod
J.B. Priestley's English play. It is one of Priestley's best-known works for the stage and is considered to be one of the classics of mid-20th century English theatre.

The play is a three-act drama which takes place on a single night in April 1912, focusing on the prosperous upper middle-class Birling family, who live in a comfortable home in the fictional town of Brumley, "an industrial city in the north Midlands". The family is visited by a man calling himself Inspector Goole, who questions the family about the suicide of a young working-class woman.

PDF Version: 68 pages
https://moodle.queenelizabeth.cumbria...

Youtube Videos:
There are several to watch around an hour and a half in length.

Who is in on this Drama?

message 2: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rosemarie | 11280 comments Mod
I am in for this one and will be reading it this weekend. I recently read one of his other plays, Time and the Conways, and was very impressed.

message 3: by Jazzy (last edited Sep 01, 2019 06:50AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 3410 comments I've got that book. No time to read it this month sadly. i've got 8 books on the go and classes start up in a couple weeks.

This is my book
An Inspector Calls and Other Plays
304pp

message 4: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've got the same book from the library, Jazzy. You can comment when you do get around to reading it, since our discussion threads remain open even in the Archives.

message 5: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 3410 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I've got the same book from the library, Jazzy. You can comment when you do get around to reading it, since our discussion threads remain open even in the Archives."

Many thanks Rosemarie! You know he lived nearby and there is a JB Priestly Appreciation Society.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks for the link, Jazzy.

message 8: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 3410 comments My pleasure, treasure!

message 9: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have just read this play in one sitting and all I can say is "Wow!"
This play really makes you think about the effect that one small action can have on another's person's life.

message 10: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

I actually have started and restarted on my lunch several times.

So the engagement party is on with Gerald and Sheila and like any other family they are happy some family members are not there!

Worrying about the war and Lady Crofts opinion Sheila isn't socially good enough for Gerald.

message 11: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (last edited Oct 03, 2019 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Birling thinks he's very important! When the Inspector calls there is an obvious struggle between them.
Shelia and Gerald seemed strained over the death from the girl involved in the affair...Eva/Daisy?
Birlings seemed really involved.
Did Goole trick the family?

Remarkable play!

" ... a man has to make his own way—has to look after himself—and his family, too, of course, when he has one—and so long as he does that he won’t come to much harm"

message 12: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

My library copy of An Inspector Calls had four plays, all of them good.

message 13: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh I will have to look into that. The Kindle was just that one.

Thanks Rosemarie!

Tracey (traceyrb) | 1371 comments Five stars ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I have just listened to the play as an audiobook today. I thought it was excellent and I would love to see it performed. The play made me think about how we are all connected, how no man is an island. Highly recommended.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

An Inspector Calls and Other Plays (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.B. Priestley (other topics)